Tricks for faking a resonance control for your amp?

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really hope one day ISP comes out with a more powerful Theta Pro, or even a rack version.

Yeah me too. One of my favorite companies.

I’ve been wondering if there’s a physical reason for using two bands to simulate a resonance control. My guess is that the positive band emulates the resonance curve of an amp with no negative feedback, and the narrower negative band emulates the negative feedback. So would reducing the gain on the negative band be like turning the resonance knob counterclockwise?

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a thread on this exact problem when using my preamp pedals into the HX Stomp. It's basically just EQ in the right place and some compression. It gets pretty close to the res/pres controls on my Tight Metal Pro

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yeah me too. One of my favorite companies.

I’ve been wondering if there’s a physical reason for using two bands to simulate a resonance control. My guess is that the positive band emulates the resonance curve of an amp with no negative feedback, and the narrower negative band emulates the negative feedback. So would reducing the gain on the negative band be like turning the resonance knob counterclockwise?
It pretty much does, but narrowing the bandwidth or Q does it to. I tried to avoid touching the gain at all costs because the more those aren't equal or out of oppostiion the less the effectivness of the effect, but you can get away with it a little.
- They all link together and affect each other. - I think the main reason this setup works is cause by negative and postive bands at high values you get a huge difference in gain at nearby/same frequencies. At + and - 15db is 30db difference but depending on settings could be more even due to phase summing. - The bandwidth or Q adjusts how much of each band, and how much (or the general area on) the guitar is affected, but they also affect each other and cross over./share frequencies too (how much depends on the bw or q and freq settings) and the frequency can focus in on the sort 'eminating' point where it comes from. LIke you're spraying a hose and your signal's coming out of it for lack of a better visual.
- The huge differences in gain and overlapping bandwidths cause phase anomaly. (I'm not up on the specifics but maybe this is how resonant eq's work?) when placed between preamp and power amp the big gain boosts cause it to punch the amp but it's under control cause of the cut band. If you just turn off the cut band it will overload the amp input and turn to mudd. You're basically controlling and focusing the mudd, but because it's focused it don't sound like mudd at that point. - I'm not really sure but it works pretty well. It's really best to mess with it for a hour or two and look at the eq graph as you turn knobs and listen to what's happening. I can't really attach specific labels to the controls because depending on the settings they can seem like different things, but at those generic settings it's in the general realm. - FUn to mess with for sure.
- I find this cut/boost technique works well in mixing scenarios too for things like kick drum and bass guitar to pop and on guitars it brings whatever bands you choose forward and back in a mix etc. It's the gel parameters. Something to keep in mind is it's not that eq techinueq for finding peaks. It's similar, but this one is a different application. You don't have to zero in on a peak or anything like that. You can and it will work, maybe start with that too, but from there you'd probably wanna expand the bw or q a bit for more overall resonance coverage. then adjust the other bands freq and q to gel in the resonant pump. A lot of ways to approach it really. Thanks.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
FYI, Thought I'd also mention that the type of Eq used would be peaking type with a bell shape, Just double checked it in Ozone and ReaEQ to make sure. It don't work well on most other types.

Also: this is a great resource: the manual charts and calculators are awesome and save a tone of time, but they tell you how to manually if you're into that sort of torture. I keep a hard copy of them.

Last edited:

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
WMD Utility Parametric EQ (3-Band) has resonance settings per band. I love it.

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
You found one!

edit: this companys got some cool looking stuff. Surprised never ran acoss them.

I have both the Utility Parametric EQ as well as the voltage controllable resonant ProtoStar. Both killer pedals.

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
Do you know if it takes line level from an fx loop very well by chance?

It takes any signal like a champ. WMD makes synthesizer modules, primarily. You won't be disappointed with their gear. Very high quality circuits.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It takes any signal like a champ. WMD makes synthesizer modules, primarily. You won't be disappointed with their gear. Very high quality circuits.

Can second that. I owned a Protostar for a while, and regret selling it. Still own a Geiger Counter Pro, which I haven't used in too long. The Utility Parametric EQ can take up to 24 VDC for more headroom, and the Protostar converts 9 VDC to an internal +/-12 VDC.

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
Can second that. I owned a Protostar for a while, and regret selling it. Still own a Geiger Counter Pro, which I haven't used in too long. The Utility Parametric EQ can take up to 24 VDC for more headroom, and the Protostar converts 9 VDC to an internal +/-12 VDC.

GearTree still has some ProtoStar units. Some Canadian dealer on Reverb still has Utility Parametric EQ in stock, as well... I'd swoop before they're gone gone.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
GearTree still has some ProtoStar units. Some Canadian dealer on Reverb still has Utility Parametric EQ in stock, as well... I'd swoop before they're gone gone.

Are they getting discontinued? Or just hard to find due to general shortages right now.

Thorsday7

A Real Beefeater
Reaction score
Are they getting discontinued? Or just hard to find due to general shortages right now.

Being what I like to call a "Lyfer", when I see scarcity, all the while knowing 'nothing lasts forever'... I just prefer to swoop.

WMD's website has said Out Of Stock since I bought direct last year... After a quick search on Reverb, the amount of new condition listings have waned significantly. I would guess there are no immediate plans for another production run by WMD. Best to email them directly with such a question. They're helpful guys at WMD.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I contracted WMD to ask when they will back in stock. My guess is never, like everything cool it's probably discontinued. Eitehr way I want one. Someone like BYOC shoud rip this off.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I contracted WMD to ask when they will back in stock. My guess is never, like everything cool it's probably discontinued. Eitehr way I want one. Someone like BYOC shoud rip this off.
BYOC already has a 3 band parametric EQ, and PedalPCB is working on one. I don't really know how the WMD is any different. They have the same controls.

I built the BYOC years ago, but updated it a few months ago by upgrading the level pots to pots with a center detent.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
BYOC already has a 3 band parametric EQ, and PedalPCB is working on one. I don't really know how the WMD is any different. They have the same controls.

I built the BYOC years ago, but updated it a few months ago by upgrading the level pots to pots with a center detent.
It's the frequencies. The WMD has 3 bands that have overlapping almost fully parametric bands. This way the Reso trick I was talking about n that .pdf I made a couple pages back (check it out : ) can actually be done cause it needs at least two low/sub bands.

Thanks for the info. I bet one of these could be modded by so it has the right frequencies if known how to. I need to plug into the Matrix so I can just download electronics knowledge into my head. I'm sick of learning stuff, haha.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's the frequencies. The WMD has 3 bands that have overlapping almost fully parametric bands. This way the Reso trick I was talking about n that .pdf I made a couple pages back (check it out : ) can actually be done cause it needs at least two low/sub bands.

Thanks for the info. I bet one of these could be modded by so it has the right frequencies if known how to. I need to plug into the Matrix so I can just download electronics knowledge into my head. I'm sick of learning stuff, haha.

At first glance I thought so too, but I'm not sure they actually overlap enough. The website says the three bands have the following frequency ranges: 31Hz to 1.6kHz, 100Hz to 4.8kHz, 300Hz to 16kHz.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
At first glance I thought so too, but I'm not sure they actually overlap enough. The website says the three bands have the following frequency ranges: 31Hz to 1.6kHz, 100Hz to 4.8kHz, 300Hz to 16kHz.
Dude! I looked on the website and swore it said 3 bands 40Hz to 15kHz.
Now I look and am confused cause it says what you say. Wtf! Kinda misleading and an oversight on my part too. @Bearitone, Sorry, I dont think this one is gonna work either. Damn! I thought we found one! The search continues.

Sorry for any confusion and getting any hopes up.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That is similkar to what most of these do in terms of frequencies. The BYOC, etc.... Pretty common ranges for a 3 band parametric.

Gudbrand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude! I looked on the website and swore it said 3 bands 40Hz to 15kHz.
Now I look and am confused cause it says what you say. Wtf! Kinda misleading and an oversight on my part too. @Bearitone, Sorry, I dont think this one is gonna work either. Damn! I thought we found one! The search continues.

Sorry for any confusion and getting any hopes up.

Yeah, earlier on the page it says "3 bands of EQ with frequency ranges from about 40Hz to 15kHz", so I was also misled. I think they mean the three bands together span that range, not that each band does.