Tremolo claw issues ; Screw head snapped

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by LeifurS, Apr 27, 2019.

1. LeifurS

LeifurS SS.org Regular

Hello, i am having a problem with my Squire strat that im doing a full makeover on
    When i was removing the screws on the tremolo claw, the head on one of them snapped off as soon as i started loosening it.
    I drilled it out with a small drill, and was going to use a screw extractor bit to remove it, and then that broke within the screw also! just my luck haha.

am i screwed ? or could i drill another hole next to the one with the busted screw, would that affect the tremolo / tone in anyway?

Cheers!

2. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG SS.org Regular

Drill out beside it to allow proper removal. Once out, use sawdust/wood shavings of the drilled out hole or other similar wood and mix it with wood glue (yellow color) to make a paste. Fill all holes with this paste solid. Let fully dry for 24 hours. (important) Not just dry, but 24 hrs. This allows bonds to form with guitar body wood and become very strong. You can then drill small pilot hole for new trem claw screw. Enjoy and good luck.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I usually just cut a channel in the end of the screw with the Foredom (or Dremel) and get it out with a guarded flathead screwdriver. If you have at least 1/8" sticking out a pair of pliers can help start it.

@BIGRIGG's suggestion is great too.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Like Max, I usually start with diag cutters and try to work it out that way. If that’s not happening then I’ll file or dremmel a slot into it for a flat head screwdriver. Sometimes it’s so bad you just have to drill everything, fill with a dowel and glue, and start fresh.

hazimwood likes this.