Track critique-proggy metal something or other

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by anthonyferguson, Jun 19, 2013.

1. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

Hey guys. Working on an album and this is the first track so far. It's quite long so feel free to skip around and listen to the various sections, particularly the second half. I'm not too fussed about the quality of drums and mix etc, I know it's all rough and eventually it'll all get done properly. What do you think of the structure and writing aspect? Would love some external input as hitting a bit of a wall with this one. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/anthony-ferguson-2/01-trauma

2. Gresh

Gresh Member

Gotta say wow to that effort. So far I've made it through the first 4 minutes or so and had to pause to comment. I like the mood it evokes, very Pink Floyd-esque, and in a good way. As it is, I like it very much, but you asked for some critique so if I were to recommend/critique any of it, I'll say:

I believe the intro theme is a bit long and repetitive. I like the reverb effect, but as the rhythm section kicks in, maybe look to change the tone and effects on that theme. I could see it being a dry sound to contrast the beginning, and bring it more out in front of the mix, maybe add an octave up or down as well, thicken it up...just suggestions. Try anything to give a different flavor, vary the time signatures or change that riff just enough to create some movement.

I absolutely love the section that follows. The speech and the accompanying theme there is solid work. I do notice that as the speaker moves forward, there is a dynamic created in his voice. you have the opportunity to mimic that tension with the music and I think it would be good to do that...it builds and builds until the final statement that you repeat (and that's awesome)...but that could be the perfect segue to suddenly drop the build, move from a really heavy thick sound, hear the repeated phrase with just the voice...and then the acoustic track begins

That's just what I notice listening critically. That said, I'm in no position to critique anyone's work, especially stuff that's as solid as that. Grain of salt and all that. I have a soft spot for music that juxtaposes huge complex walls of sound with very simple sounds, and I hear that in what you've composed. I'd recommend really enhancing that effect, create more dynamics in the sections that lead to those changes. Yadayadayada.

anthonyferguson likes this.
  3. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

Wow thanks man, really helpful input! I was totally thinking along the same lines regarding the intro. Hope you liked the rest of it too. Yeah the speech from the great dictator just fits so well with the vibe of the album and the concept. We want to expand that a bit more. Used it in the final track as well. Here's a link to the ending as it is atm...

https://soundcloud.com/anthony-ferguson-2/revenants

Cheers for taking the time to comment, much appreciated dude.