Touring Rig?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Scathe, Mar 29, 2015.

1. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

QFT

Even still, at the level of touring I'm doing (mostly 1000-2000 cap rooms) we STILL run into PA problems and for that very reason we went back to cabs (and DI), for stage sound & front row spread, even on ears. Also helps in rooms where the PA is flown so it doesn't sound like the guitars are coming from the roof. I increasingly see bands doing this, 100% DI is convenient but not always the best solution.

2. 155

155 SS.org Regular

yeah di for guitars is a total suicide mission unless you are at an amazing venue...then maybe not...

3. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Good to note that that's how venues in Louisiana work. I'm drawing my experience from USA,Aus,NZ,Japan and majority of south east asian venues.

Even if I do concede and state 'sure, a p.a system is a must have for any brand new band' what you just described would not power two vocals, kick, full DI guitars and bass anyway. The 2nd picture I posted was the exact setup you just pointed out, and it was vocal + kick only. I was running axe fx II for that weekend (1 unit powering both guitars with myself controlling patch changes) and I had to negotiate a poweramp/cab backline for the hall floor show.

Last tour I did in america was a month long and there's no way we could have fit a P.A into the van+trailer. Plus with our genre and tour circuit booked, we wouldn't have needed it anyway.

Again, I love DI, when it's feasible. But it's generally not at mid sized venues. Josh and I both played a venue in my country where we both went DI, the venue speakers were hanging from the roof. I couldn't hear myself on stage and I'm damn sure nobody in the front row could either. It's exactly why I'm suggesting a versitile rig that provides DI *options* AND an on cab sound to fill it out + blast front row (or entire venue) where required. Which will be 90% of the time.

4. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

I'm still kicking myself for not going to see you guys when you played at Sweet Melissa's in Savannah. I think I had work but still, it'd have been nice to see you guys/meet a fellow SSO'er.

5. Scathe

Scathe Member

I could use my 120 spider IV as a backup. Would probably work for small venues as a touring band?