Touring Rig?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Scathe, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Scathe

Scathe Member

So me and my band may be playing shows soon, and hopefully touring sometime in the future. I've always seen rig rundowns where the bands have these huge and complicated rigs. So I was wondering what sort of basic gear I'd need for a tour? Right now I'm thinking a line 6 POD HD Pro (yeah I know not an Axe fx :p) and some kind of wireless unit, and just getting it wired directly to the PA like trivium, the faceless, etc. Anything else I might need?

2. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

Tuner, controller, wah or expression pedals, backup plan, redundancy, spare everything, extra guitar parts, tubes, fuses, cables, gaffer tape, zip ties, Velcro wraps, tool kit, solid road cases and racks? That's the sort version...

-m

3. demorior

demorior SS.org Regular

pretty good list right here.
    any parts that are crucial to your live rig: bring a backup.

also, don't leave anything in your van overnight that you'd miss.
    ever.

4. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Definitely a backup of some sort for the POD - perhaps a Digitech GSP1101, since that can fit in just one rack space - controller, of course, unless you just use one patch a song/have everything synced up to a backing track sending out midi signals for patch changes.

A stage monitor you can rely on for your own sound, I'd find a cheap used Alto TSA112 for that.

Way more picks, strings, and cables than you think you'll need

A second guitar for every tuning you're in, unless it's something like Drop C and D Standard, and you're using fixed bridge guitars, then just two guitars will do.

Mr. Coffee basically nailed it tho

5. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

take a soldering iron!

6. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

tbh jumping straight into a DI only rig causes all sorts of problems. If you're a new band, you're hardly going to be playing venues that would have enough of a PA/room size for Di. Anyone up front isn't going to be able to hear you.

I'd always highly recommend trying to find a 5150+4x12 + whatever effects or multi effects you want. A basic gate - OD - tuner to start with, then go from there.

You don't need a wireless just yet, you're a new band. the stages will be tiny, or you're be doing floor shows with no stage anyway.

5150s are the backbone of metal tone and a great amp to learn inside out. There's always at lease one person in another band on the bill that has a 5150, so at least that way you have a backup, provided you shout them a few drinks as a thank you if something turns to .... haha.

Just progress to the crazy huge cool rig and just have a workhorse that travels well and is loud. Save the DI rig for whe you have venues and backline that justify it.

7. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

.... my band doesn't even tour and I can't tell you guys how much my soldering iron comes in handy when I have to fix my other guitarist's input jack every couple weeks.

8. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

totally back this

9. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I like my wireless, I suspect it drives the front of my amp a little harder and it's convenient not to have to deal with tangled cables, shorts, etc. Of course, that means batteries, and ALWAYS BRING A CABLE because stuff happens.

-m

10. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

If you do insist on using the Pod HD Pro, then rather than get a 5150, just get a solid power amp like a Rocktron Velocity 300 along with a 4x12 cab. Like the Captain said, you can't always count on there being a pa system to plug into. That and as long as you have your patches on a laptop, you can find Pods & power amps at almost every music store if you need one in an emergency.

11. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Yup POD + Power amp is a great opion, and certainly makes more sense if you've already invested in patches with effects routing within the pod. Just turn it into preamp only mode and either invest in a small poweramp, or a small amp that you can use as a poweramp (via the effects return input)

The beauty of this approach is that you still have a fully functioning amp to use as a backup in case your patches go all weird.

12. 155

155 SS.org Regular

if you rely on a pa you be totally ....ed 99% of the time, get a decent road worth y rig like 5150 and 1960 cab and the pod for back up

13. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

I dunno, guys, I've never played with a band that didn't own PA. Some places we used house PA, sure. Been a lot of joints that had none, had minimal, or didn't want us using theirs. Even in small venues, I mic my rig because it's pretty directional - stand in front of my amp, it's LOUD. Step three feet to one side or the other and it's not so much. I learned this working sound for a major label band, and learned to compare what was coming through the mains to what was coming out of the amp. It's not too hard. Going a little further, there are several popular venues I'm aware of who prefer a DI setup to control stage volume, and for good reason. If you think running through PA means you'd be @#$%ed, you might want to rethink your approach.

-m

14. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Here's some context.

Here's a show we played one weekend, on a Friday night. Main stage of a large christian music festival.

[​IMG]

Here's the Saturday night gig the next town over. In a small community hall, vocal P.A only, to about 50 kids.

[​IMG]

I've owned HD500+L6 L3M powered monitor, and Axe FX2 + Atomic Wedges, Matrix, you name it etc.

I mean I don't really know how else to put it, some shows for any band on a B to C grade tour circuit simply do not have a P.A to plug into, and most of those bands don't own their own P.A I am a huge advocate for DI, I run In Ear Monitors. BUT, you need a rig that can do a traditional set up as well, ESPECIALLY when you're starting.

Last American tour we did was a month solid. Venues ranged from New England Metal Fest, community halls, traditional clubs and even kids garages in georgia. You're never going to have a venue that will be 100% what you need/want and the bands that do well are the ones that can accomidate.

You spent the first few years as a touring band trying not to piss venues/other bands/promoters off with crazy requests, so you gotta make sure you can roll with the punches and just do whatever. A pod+ backup amp used as a poweramp would be an excellent solution. 'Vocal P.A only' is a reality for the majority of first/new bands and the small gigs you'll be doing. How on earth are you going to DI into that? Quite simply, you're not.

15. Scathe

Scathe Member

What if I were to use a matrix as a power amp, the POD as a preamp, and then a Marshall 1960a?

16. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Any amp that has an effects loop can work. Captain has it right though. Years ago when I first started using a Pod XTL, I had a Crate Shockwave head that I ran the Pod into the fx return, so it was essentially being used as a "power amp". If something were to happen to the Pod, I could always plug directly into the amp and use it the traditional way.

Likewise, if something were to happen to the amp, you could always borrow another amp without having to worry about the settings because all of your tone is coming from the Pod.

17. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Perfect! I used a similar setup for quite a while.

HD500 + Matrix GT800FX + Blackstar Artisan 4x12. It was VERY loud .

You can here it here -

18. Ulvhedin

Ulvhedin Phrygianist

Water-boiler, instant coffee, and everything listed above.

Get yourself one of these to keep a system of your strings,picks, and other essentials.
    [​IMG]

19. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

Yeah, I guess even minimal PA gear is out of reach for guys who are willing to spend thousands on guitars and amps. I mean come on, I spent years playing in scummy bars all across Louisiana, most of them didn't have any PA. It was provide our own or don't play. Some things it's best to just pony up and do what it takes. You wanna play rock star but you don't wanna bite off the cost of a small mixer and a couple of powered cabs? Whatever.

-m

20. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

+ 100 to having something on stage that makes a sound even without PA. I find it super essential to be able to hear myself and if you are going direct you are trusting 100% on the soundguy, which for small gigs aren't usually very great, so chances are you end up not being able to hear yourself.
    Going with the Pod and a poweramp seems like a good idea. I dunno about the outputs of the Pod, but if you could both run the pod to the power amp (without cab sim) and then run a DI to the PA (with cab sim) such that stuff don't bleed into a mic in front of your cab, but you are always able to hear yourself.