Tosin Abasi Fluence sig set

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by narad, Jan 9, 2017.

1. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

Frank it's so good to have you on these forums :) :hbang:

2. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

It's a volume reduction, yes, but with absolutely zero side effects. The tone is identical to what it would be if there were no attenuation. Just like if you turn your guitar's volume down with Fluence, the tone doesn't change, and they're full headroom so the dynamics are still huge. Not like a typical active pickup that's hard limiting and THEN you're turning it down.

3. Yodel

Yodel Banned

Edit: nevermind

4. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

I'll tell you what....
    I went on tour playing bass for Unearth a couple years ago. Ken Susi, their guitarist, is one of Fishman's artist reps. While we were out on the road, Ken kept bragging on these pickups and saying how much i would love them, and how i gotta try them out and all that... i had already made up my mind that i hated them. i HATE active pickups. I've never once gotten a tone i liked from an EMG of any kind, or a Blackout, or whatever (don't get me wrong, there's artists that can make them sound great... i am NOT one of them haha), so i was expecting these to be exactly the same flat, sterile, cold lifeless tone i had come to expect from a battery.
    After tour, he sent me the modern set and i very begrudgingly put them in my RG550. Again, expecting to hate them. I plugged it in and could not believe it. They really sound fantastic. Like, weirdly fantastic. All the dynamics of a passive, none of the downfalls of actives... i don't know how they did it, but they did it. They're legit, dudes.
    Now i've got a set of the Classics in my 550 and i couldn't be happier. I like them way better than the Modern. The classic PAF voice is just insanely sick, very similar to an EVH brown sound. Sweet and crunchy, very dynamic, not too hot... totally awesome.
    If ya'll have any questions feel free to ask! I've used the modern 6, classic 6, and modern 7 sets.

5. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

I'm ready to hear this KSE set. 3 voices so how would you go about wiring them up to make use of all 3?

6. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

whoa, 3?!?! i didn't know they were doing that! I assume a 3 way mini switch would be used.

7. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

I have been so close to pulling the trigger on a set of Fluence Moderns for a while. I was going to order a set for an ESP Eclipse to replace the 81 set but I think I'm going to hold off until after NAMM to if any of the new sets call my name.

8. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

Are the dynamics something that you currently work on improving? I think they're a huge improvement over all other active pickups, but still sound slightly compressed compared to passives. If Fluence pickups would reach the dynamics and openness of passives there would not be a reason to use anything else anymore.

9. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Now my interest is thoroughly piqued!
    Thanks Frank!

Or, shall I don a new term?

"Frank you very much!"

10. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    Yeah man! Time to find a guitar to put these in.

11. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I'm super hoping for a Caparison sig of that dellinger with the pickguard (and preferably the maple board one he has, not pictured). That would be my foray into Fishman :)

12. patdavidmusic

fishman tosin.jpg

unsure why it's so small but there you go :)
    it states in the write up that coils and rails are used, maybe a stock modern set photo was used and tosin actual set will look more like devin's

13. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

14. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

Sort of. What it really is, is 2 voices, and then when you engage the coil split, it automatically engages this 3rd voice that is dedicated to the single coil sound. Then, in Tosin's case we wire it up pretty custom. You don't have to do this. But he uses a super 5-way so that the 2 and 4 positions are automatically splitting to single coil, and combining different coils, etc.

Like when he talks about a tele-like neck pickup tone, we're splitting to alnico poles in the neck-side coil of the neck pickup, through "Voice 3" of that neck pickup. Then, for the other setting, we go to the inside coils, but feeding Voice 3 in the bridge pickup. It's pretty sick.

You can do all of those selections other ways, with push/pulls and mini toggles too. We just put them all on a 5-way super switch for Tosin's guitars.

15. patdavidmusic

That wiring is ridiculous I can't wait to hear proper demos of the single coil tones:hbang:

16. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

Can't wait to try them out!

17. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

It's silly, but the one thing that would have me shell out the $$$ to try these would be if they came in white. :)

18. patdavidmusic

I just want to see these warlocks, the 2017 product info says one thing, the pictures show another, so happy these are coming in 6, 7, 8 string versions

19. juka

juka SS.org Regular

+1 for more color/finish options!

I know those are signature pickups made to the specs of the artist behind them, but offering them in all color/finish options as the rest of the line would boost sales extremely nevertheless!

Would buy an Abasi and a KSE set immediately if they were available in brushed steel.

20. patdavidmusic

Only a couple of hours and we'll get to see them at the Namm demo, still hoping the product catalog is wrong and the pickups have poles showing and colour options