Toshi Iseda

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Vacant, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I decided that instead of just displaying what I thought of him as an individual, I'd give his music a listen. And like I said, (and I hate to admit it) it ain't bad.

But for someone who's profession is music, it's rather odd he hasn't come out with an album for such awhile.

My friend's band (in Chicago) has released 2 or 3 CD's in the time it's taken Toshi to release one, and my friend still runs his own shop full-time. I dunno, I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental. But it's difficult not to, when you look at his website.

2. Corey Smith

Corey Smith Contributor

after saying what I did, I have to come back and say the name dropping thing is just part of the buisness, knowing people and being in the right place at the right time is how you get to were you need to be. Toshi has busted his ass out there trying to get his name out, and he's never treated me anything but good, so Toshi and everyone else, I take back my comments.

3. Corey Smith

Corey Smith Contributor

oh and someone mentioned chris, lol he's a really cool guy, you can catch him at most of the RMA functions if you live near raleigh.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Chris Patchek does rock - knew him back at www.guitarwar.com way back in the day, and in addition to being a stand-up guy and informative as hell, he was also one fuck of a good player (and, pertinantly, incredibly modest about it).

I disagree that name-dropping is "part of the business" - networking, sure, but not name dropping - but, for the sake of discussion, let's say it is. Do you see a "List of our Friends" prominantly on the left side of the Alter Bridge page? On Steve Vai's site? on, for that matter, any legitimate celectrity musician's page? It just rubs me the wrong way.

5. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I agree with Drew; definitely not part of the business, and it puts me off to see that kind of crap. I don't give two shits who anyone knows, because that doesn't tell me what kind of player they are, or what their music sounds like. It makes them look like music industry leg humpers. :lol:

I don't care who they've had their picture taken with, that really means jack shit.

And I know people who have worked hard promoting their music, not just trying to make business contacts. That's what's important.

6. Corey Smith

Corey Smith Contributor

but when you're trying to put food on the table from the companies that like to give you money, knowing people helps a lot. On the other hand, he could easily get all of these things if he concentrated on representing himself as a musician. Someone must like him though, cause he's allways gotten to go backstage to all the concerts i've been to with him, and everyone knows him and acts like they seriously are friends.
    so even though it's a bad thing in the buisness we are in, it's still not a valid reason to say the guy is a horrible person, but I see where you are coming from.

7. Kane

Kane Dark Scribe

I've never heard of this Yoshi fellow, but why the need to talk shit about him on a website? I can think of little that is more pointless than talking shit about someone on a website. And if I were this Yoshi guy, I'd seriously Jay and Silent Bob everyone, going door to door and laying the smackdown on naysayers. lol.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Toshi, not Yoshi. ;)

The problem is, most of us HAVE heard shit about this Toshi guy. The short version is, he's a bit of an endorsement whore who has a thing for burning bridges as soon as he crossed them - Ibanez reps, I've been told, wouldn't "piss in his mouth if to put out a fire" after some of the shit he's pulled on other companies.

The listing his "friends" in the industry is pretty harmless, if somewhat amusing, IMO, but he's got a well-earned bad rep in the industry as a guy who collects business cards and endorsements, and isn't above screwing someone as soon as he's got what he wanted from them. I've never interacted with him, but I'm not exactly itching to, after all the stories I've heard.

9. Kane

Kane Dark Scribe

heh, sounds like most of the people I've had the displeasure of meeting. I checked out his tunes on his website. I wouldn't give him a second listen.

10. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

Same, I think hes a tool and his music sucks :mad: Of course I am an asshole though.

11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

It's a valid reason when the dude treats you like you're an idiot, as he did to me awhile back.

Based on that experience, his website, what I've heard from others, and the behavior I've seen of his at concerts in which I've attended as well as he, I can confidently say he's not someone I particularly like, nor admire as a person. How's that for being diplomatic? :lol:

Besides, it's not like a wish harm on the guy. But it's my right to not like him though.

12. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

See, I actually thought his music was decent. Something he should promote more of, instead of who's business card he got at NAMM this year.

13. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I think he is a great guitar player but from what I've heard of his attitude...that's just not cool. :)

14. Corey Smith

Corey Smith Contributor

Wait i'm getting buisness cards at namm this weekend. Is anybody else going?

15. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Not everyone's "industry insiders" :lol:

We just like to play. Sure would be fun to just go and see what they've got. I could care less who's there, I just like seeing the toys.

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:agreed:

I hate to say it, but I'm a total gear whore. Oh well, at least I play the fuck out of everything I buy. :lol:

17. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

My friend from back home can get me into NAMM, if I really wanted, but the problem is that I am in AZ, and it's in Indy this year.

Oh well, tell Toshi I said hi!

18. Corey Smith

Corey Smith Contributor

it's in anahiem every january and somewhere else every july this year's summer one happens to be in indy, but the one worth going to is in cali, so wait until january.