Tool announce new album, Fear Inoculum, coming August 30

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by rifft, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I think the price is because of the package, which seems even more complex than normal this time around. I saw something about a 4 inch HD screen that recharges?

2. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

If that's the case, then they need to do non-package album sales. It happens a lot these days. A lot of the time you can't just buy the CD, you have to buy it bundled in with a bunch of crap you don't exactly want. I don't mind when it's a t-shirt or something, but it's irritating being forced to spend $30+ when all you want is the music and the album art.

c7spheres, fps and BlackMastodon like this.
  3. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

I know. I just think it’s insane that they chose to cut material instead of making it a set.

fps likes this.
  4. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

From Amazon:
    "The album will be available digitally, and in a special Limited Edition physical package that includes a CD in a tri-fold Soft Pack Video Brochure featuring a 4" HD rechargeable screen with exclusive video footage, a USB charging cable, a 2 watt speaker and a 36 page insert book and MP3 download card."

The £80 product could be the box set, which is $99, or people price gouging the physical version of the new album, which would be unfortunate.

I imagine other options will be made available in the future.

5. fps

fps Kit

Also, if those 3 tracks don't even need to be on the physical release, what is their value ultimately, in terms of the statement the band wishes to make?

GunpointMetal and Chris Bowsman like this.
  6. Señor Voorhees

Aren't you the one who hasn't really even listened to the new song because "it's not the full experience?" Interludes or not, it sucks to have things removed from your purchase, especially if it's the more expensive option.

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  7. Chris Bowsman

Earlier, I was arguing a double-CD would be preferable to removing content.

The more I think about it, I can't think of a single double album, minus The Wall and the White Album, that wouldn't have been much stronger had it been chopped down to a single CD length.

prlgmnr and fps like this.
  8. fps

fps Kit

What point are you making with your question? I am indeed questioning how important they are to the band's statement/art if they're not on some releases of the album, yes.

9. fps

fps Kit

The reviews so far have suggested that Mockingbeat is a load of animal noises and bird calls that goes on for a really long time, and it's missing from the CD. How necessary can it truly be...!?

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  10. Señor Voorhees

If they meant nothing to the overall statement/artistic vision, why include them at all? Deliberately putting filler on an album that's already too big for one disc? Sounds kind of lame to me. Perhaps they are in fact the worst parts of the album, but they're still part of the album and it would be nice to get all of it if you pay for it. Even the shitty little boring parts of a painting are a part of the bigger whole and matter to some degree.

My guess is that it's just cheaper to cut the songs than to print another whole 100% more discs. (Or maybe deemed too expensive/silly to have 2 half full discs vs one full disc.) In the end, I suppose it doesn't matter... Most people have spotify, or can access it, so even if you have the CD you can still listen to the removed tracks. Still, it seems sucky to pay more and get less when it comes to the actual audio. Maybe the trade off is having the album art, a display piece, and such.

I'm also an old fart, and I like physical copies of things. Though, I suppose swapping discs half way through would be a chore so perhaps it would be a spotify/digital listen for me anyway. I dunno. Maybe I'm just lame, but I just don't like people paying more for less, especially when buying physical copies vs streaming is better for the band. People choose to spend money on something they can get for free and they get less than the people who take it for free.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  11. fps

fps Kit

I think we agree on this issue. I like the physical copy as well.

Señor Voorhees likes this.
  12. Chris Bowsman

I used to love physical copies, then I moved a few months ago and I wish I'd gotten rid of everything I own.

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

So its a single artistic vision....but you really don't need those three songs...ok...
    Every week it seems like this band/Maynard find a new way to jump up their own ass and jerk off about being there.

Evil Chuck and Chris Bowsman like this.
  14. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Well, it's all moot I guess, because of the physical preorders old out. I assume they'll have their third chart topper with this album.

15. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

I personally don't think you're getting the full Tool experience if you don't get the USB charging cable. How else do you power your third eye charka? Might as well be listening to Justin Bieber at that point.

c7spheres, Riffer, ArtDecade and 5 others like this.
  16. fps

fps Kit

It depends how many there were to begin with, though I also assume they'll be top.

17. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop

In France, they want us to pay 85 euros for the album. That's 94,36 USD if you're wondering.
    If i check the Wikipedia page, the album is supposed to contain 7 tracks.
    That is 13,48 USD per track !!!!!!!!! WTF ?

So yep, i think it's legit for me to complain about the album being too expensive because in Europe, the prices are ridiculous.
    I wanted to pre-order the CD, but honestly fuck them.
    I still hope the album will be better than the first song they released. But god was it boring to listen to. In any case, i won't pay a dime.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  18. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

Tool is.

19. AC.Lin

AC.Lin Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop

The album leaked, so i got myself a FLAC version and i listened to it.
    Spoiler: it's mostly boring.

Well, Descending and 7empest are two really good songs in my opinion...
    However the album could have been way better if every single song wasn't over 10 minutes long.
    Because most of the time it feels like you're just waiting for "something" to happen. Consequences, you'll feel bored on a lot of occasions.
    Honestly, if they had shorten the songs from 12-15mins to 7mins, it would be perfect.

In conclusion, while the album could be a 7 out of 10, it feels like a 4 out of 10.
    Songs are TOO DAMN LONG AND SLOOOOOOW.
    It's useless to make songs this long if literally nothing is happening.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  20. jmeezle

jmeezle SS.org Regular

Long-winded, safe, pedestrian. They've exhausted every 0-5-7-8-7-5 power chord pattern in drop D at this point, as well as the Jambi-style triplet percussive guitar riff. It's all been done and done better by them before. D+/C-.