Took a chance on a new 7 string...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Cole Justesen, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

Hey all! I have been wanting to snag a hard tail 7 string with a 25.5" scale. I have two E-II Horizon FR-7s that are awesome, but they both sport a Floyd Rose trem. As I was searching Reverb to see what options there were for 25.5" 7 strings with a hard tail, I came across a Washburn Parallaxe 7 string. I didn't realize they made a 7 string, so I was intrigued. I have played a Washburn PXL20E (my friend has one) and was impressed with it, especially for the price. As a result, I thought I would give it a whirl for $600. While I don't anticipate it being anywhere near as good as my E-IIs, I am quite hopeful that it will be a good guitar, maybe even better than good.

This is the guitar, a Washburn PXL27EC...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am pretty stoked for it! Have any of you guys tried this or another Parallaxe 7 string guitar? I would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Cole

2. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I believe you will be very pleased!

Cole Justesen likes this.
  3. Cole Justesen

I am happy to read that you think so!

I was looking at the LTD EC-407 and Jackson Monarkh 7 as well. The Jackson just didn't do it for me aesthetically, however the EC-407 looks great (at least the ones that didn't use Pau Ferro boards). I am hoping that the neck shape is fairly similar to my friend's PXL20E. Hers has that Jackson thin style neck, which I love.

Cole

4. Walter W.

Walter W. Well-Known Member

Nice, congrats. I wouldn't mind having a single-cut 7 string myself.

5. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

nice....hngd

6. shupe13

shupe13 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

7. Cole Justesen

Thanks guys! I can't wait to try it out. I am glad that this one is 25.5", unlike the Marc Rizzo version that is 24.75". I am also happy that this is all mahogany, besides the fretboard, which is ebony.

I don't know if I am going to like the 707 in the bridge (from previous uses in other woods), so I am anticipating that I will be swapping in a spare 81-7 into the bridge spot.

As far as single cut 7 strings go, I was comparing this to an LTD EC-407. They seem pretty comparable. The difference being the pickups (81-7/60-7), rosewood fretboard (on older models, pau ferro on newer ones), and a maple cap on the EC-407. I was looking for a good deal on an E-II EC-7 (without the Evertune), but one wasn't to be found. If I could have, I would have jumped all over the E-II.

Thanks again for commenting!

Cole