Too much screen time? Help

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by vejichan, Oct 9, 2021.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Apologies for this post but any tips to eliminate blue ray or block and protect ones eyes from too much screen time and get better sleep? I get alot of screen time due to work and recording and mixing..Any advise?

2. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

My wife just recently bought a pair of 1.25 blue blocker glasses from Walmart for like $5.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Both windows and Mac OS have a setting that warms the colors of the screen to combat that. I doubt it’s as good as the glasses, though.

that being said, are you doing work immediately before bed? Work done during the normal work day probably isn’t going to make a difference. I’m assuming you’re missing right before bed?

spudmunkey likes this.
  4. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A lot of good advice already posted in this thread.

I use the Apple color-shift settings to dial back blue light at night. I wouldn't worry about it during the day - the human body tends to become more alert when exposed to blue light because for much of human evolution we were outside and would see the blue sky during the day, so if anything, you'd probably be better off getting MORE blue light than you do at work, since you're probably indoors.

At night, color shift settings or programs can help, blue light blocking glasses can help if you're primarily sitting in front of a computer and for some reason you can't adjust the color palatte... but also just getting less screen time can help. When I found I was wasting too much time on social media, I just set timers in iOS for various social media apps, which makes me far less likely to spend time scrolling them. Stepping away from a computer will do a lot of good too - I spend too much time in front of one at work, so I have very little desire to sit in front of one after work. This would be better than any blue light mitigation strategy, IMO.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I was under the impression that the whole blue-light thing was, if not entirely untrue, at least strongly contested. I know one-off anecdotes might not mean much, but I've personally never noticed any difference in sleep patterns because of screen usage. If anything, I'd be worried that reducing colour accuracy would annoy me or cause me to focus more on trying to interpret the colours I'm seeing, which would stress me more than anything else.

If screen time is affecting your sleep, I'd think the best solution is just less screen time, not so much worrying about the specific wavelengths hitting your eyeballs. I mean, a screen is a lot of light in general. It could just as easily be that you have too much caffeine, or a funky diet, or aren't giving yourself some wind-down time at the end of a day, etc etc etc.

gabito and Hollowway like this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

gabito, TedEH and Hollowway like this.
  8. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I don’t know the research, but in my experience the blue light makes zero difference. I have my phone switch into night mode at 8:00 pm because I figure even the placebo affect will help. (And I just generally like incandescent color light, anyway.)