"Too close for missiles, switching to guns!" Daemoness Ironbird VI - "Wobblin' Goblin" Build Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Blytheryn, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

With my Daemoness build kicking off imminently I figured that I would document the exciting build process for you all. I loved following the build of Meadow's Valkenbyrd VII and given that this is the first Ironbird ever built by Dylan, and will incorporate a few things not done that often on his builds that it would be of interest to you bros.

Onwards! I have been a huge fan of Dylan's builds since I was a 13 year old kid reading Metal Hammer and saw Misha Mansoor holding this crazy looking superstrat with a headstock that just looked better than anything I had ever seen. I had a long time before I even considered getting on the list back in 2016 to figure out what I wanted, more or less. It would be black and pointy.

Alexi Laiho's "Blacky", and initially I just wanted a Daemonized version of that, because the likelihood of me ever getting an ESP version would be slim to none. But if you're going to go Daemoness, you have to go big, so it needed some work.
    [​IMG]

I have had a lifelong passion and interest for military aviation, and a long standing dream of one day becoming a fighter pilot, which naturally drew me towards the F-15, 16, and 22. One day a few years ago I was binge watching gun camera footage of an F-15 dogfight from Desert Storm, right around when Dylan debutted his use of glow in the dark resins in his inlays. The thought instantly flashed across my mind. "An F-15 HUD in glow in the dark green resin, with an SU-27 Flanker caught in the crosshairs, performing the famous evasive "Cobra" maneuver, but being a millisecond too late and catching a healthy burst of 20mm" Too close for missiles, switching to guns.

Having a few Eagle drivers as friends certainly helped with the idea too. Initially I wanted a missile lock instead of a guns kill, but I was told that the ultimate kill is a guns kill, so I looked around for the correct reticles and HUD modes to get the most accurate portrayal of the kill as possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Observe from 4:29 during the last clip)
    I would take further inspiration from the Lockheed Martin F-117 Nighthawk, birthed from the secretive "Skunk Works", the same guys who designed the SR-71. It was the first true stealth fighter/bomber. There is just something about the lines, symmetry and mission of the Nighthawk that are so similar to what I want on a guitar. Stealthed out, minimalistic (The F-117 didn't even have a radar) and lethal. The F-117 was conceived to to be nearly invisible to enemy radar at all costs. This led to it's unconventional design which was dubbed "The Hopeless Diamond" in its infancy. The purpose of the shape was to reflect radar waves from every angle back at the ground, or into the sky, and absorbing all remaining waves, so as to have the smallest radar cross section as possible. A radar absorbent coating also helped with this. Due to the unconventional design the aircraft was extremely aerodynamically unstable, needing the help of an onboard computer to translate the inputs of the pilot to all the control surfaces of the jet, to make it flyable. It is from this aerodynamic instability that it got it's other nickname, the "Wobblin' Goblin".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When the time came for my initial phone call with the Daemoness bros I was on the fence between a Hadian and an Ironbird. Dylan then told me that he'd always wanted to build an Ironbird, and that this would serve as a perfect theme for one, even down to the name. That was settled quickly. Furthermore, I had originally decided for an ebony board, but Dylan told me that we could achieve a much better, far more uniform black fretboard if we used Richlite. To my knowledge this will be the first Daemoness with a Richlite fingerboard.

Final Specs -
    [​IMG]

The only changes from this spec sheet are going to be a Matte Black OFR, and and adding a maple cap on top of the Alder body. I will keep this thread updated with build progress shots as I get them.

To finish off, this guitar is a combination of many of my interests and passions. That is probably the biggest reason I went with Daemoness Guitars on this one, as I've seen countless Daemonii over the years where Dylan just knocks each theme out of the park, as he is just as invested and interested in the theme and build as you are. I was surprised to find out that Dylan himself is a huge aviation geek like myself, and upon visiting his shop in 2018 we had conversations about warfare and military jets that I never could imagine having with my luthier. The guy has a fucking tattoo of a Spitfire on his back. That's how I knew without a doubt that he was the man for the job.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    narad, Bdtunn, budda and 16 others like this.
  2. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

groovy.jpg

Soya likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

glad you went with the Cobra maneuver, it'll make for a much more dramatic inlay than just a straight dogfight tbh.

Viginez and Blytheryn like this.
  4. IbanezDaemon

Chris, what swung it back in the Ironbirds favour? You were leaning heavily towards a Cimmerian the other day during one of our chats.

5. Blytheryn

That, as well as the fact that it will allow for a much nicer and identifiable silhouette of the SU-27, which is a badass looking jet in its own right. Very Ace Combat-esque.

The Cimmerian shape is my backup if for some reason the Ironbird doesn’t look as planned, but I’m still heavily in the ‘Bird camp.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  6. IbanezDaemon

Interesting. Surely you remember this one?

custom_dm7_01.jpg

Gmork, Bdtunn, Zhysick and 2 others like this.
  7. Blytheryn

Of course! Absolutely sick, definitely shows that he’s got the right idea.

BigMac, feraledge and IbanezDaemon like this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

It'd be cool if you could get Dylan to incorporate the Nighthawk's body angles to an extent. kind of like Rusti's abstract guitar but in matte black and pointy :cool:

Blytheryn likes this.
  9. IbanezDaemon

Another shot. Check out those lines!

custom_dm7_02.jpg

lewis, Zhysick, feraledge and 2 others like this.
  10. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Oh, this is gonna be good. Following.

Blytheryn likes this.
  11. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

Sweet concept!

May I ask why being a pilot is a dream and not reality? Flying is the best, no matter what kind of flying you do.

Gives me ideas of an amazing chinook Daem...

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  12. Blytheryn

Thank you man! It’s a dream right now because I need to get done with school, before I commission. But getting a private pilots license something I would love to get done too at some point!

a Chinook Daem sounds amazing!

13. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Stoked for you dude!! Can't wait to see this done!

Blytheryn likes this.
  14. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

As for a Chinook Daemoness, surely that would have to be a double-neck?

Merrekof, Blytheryn and IbanezDaemon like this.
  15. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Ibanez Enthusiast

It could be, or instead you could use the neck to inlay a sling load so the body is a chinook, the sling legs go down the fretboard and the headstock has us slinging the inferior UH-60 :lol:

16. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If it could add a stone in the wall...

KR250, neun Arme and Blytheryn like this.
  17. Blytheryn

Wow...

18. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

Can someone explain me what a "dogfight" in this context is?

19. KnightBrolaire

plane vs plane fight at close range

20. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

thanks