Tonex vs PRS MT15 (capture vs real amp)

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ever since IK Multimedia announced Tonex I was pretty excited! The capture function on my Quad Cortex is quite good! Not always perfect but definitely miles better than my old Kempers. However, for using those sounds on projects and reamping it's not always convenient. The idea of having something like this in my DAW was quite appealing. With a couple of mouse clicks you could have your favorite amp tones on a track and even tweak the tone further until it works for the track perfectly, without having to physically reamp. I think you get the point...

I've finally spent some time with it and I made a little test video in which I capture my PRS MT15. I'm primarily a high gain guy so this was an obvious choice. The results are quite promising! :) I've also uploaded the preset to the Tone Net "cloud" so that you guys can try it for yourselves. Anyway, I'd love to know your thoughts:

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's also a comparison of my Mesa Mini Rectifier vs a Tonex capture. I've also uploaded the capture to Tonenet so check it out for yourself if you're interested:

Raswa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great test! Nowadays, these are already so close to the real deal that it is impossible to say which is the right one if it is in a full mix. What is interesting and will be the biggest turning point is the feel of dynamics. That feeling when you play and everything seems to articulate as you want. Many amp sims do a good job, but when you play them, it's still far from the drive and feel you'd like. I have an axe-fx II, which I haven't played in probably a year because I've mainly been digging Archetype Gojira. DSP sounds better, in a way, but the dynamics of the playing are not conveyed as well as in the axe fx. Still, I'm digging Neural more, because it's close. :) Quad Cortex seems to be next on the list, haven't tried but heard it's pushed pretty close what it comes to what just said.

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
good captures. I dont know man. I have tonex. Nothing out there compares to a real amp. I also think its bad creatively to have access to tons of amps. One great tube head is all you need to get down to business and write music. The problem with these amp sims is there are just too many choices and it takes you away from writing sometimes.

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
good captures. I dont know man. I have tonex. Nothing out there compares to a real amp. I also think its bad creatively to have access to tons of amps. One great tube head is all you need to get down to business and write music. The problem with these amp sims is there are just too many choices and it takes you away from writing sometimes.

In the end it's all about personal preference! Use what makes you feel good :)

vertibration

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tubes make me feel good lmao. Tonex is legit though. UI and menus could be a lot better, not feelin the positive grid customize amp looks thing. Its a bit wonky from a UI perspective