Tonepros tailpiece inserts routing issue

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by nickgray, Aug 27, 2020.

1. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

This is ultra bizarre, I'm not even sure what to say. Just discovered this, no idea what to do really

posts.jpg

Basically, the route for the inserts is too deep, by about 3mm I reckon. I pushed the inserts in (they're very easy to push), and this is the result. The problem seems relatively harmless, and you can just shim the route I guess, but what sort QC bullshit is this?

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I had a similar issue with my SG. I had to use wood-stain to hide the raw wood around the stud although it wasn't at all that deep.

3. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Damn. Mine is an LTD Deluxe, I actually have two (both are Korean as well), and both have given me nothing but problems. Not gonna touch another LTD with a ten foot pole. I should've just gotten a used Prestige or something.

I just honestly don't understand how something like this can happen. The CNC is doing the routing, isn't it? They've been making Eclipses for years, WMI is supposedly a decent builder too. How can they fuck up something as simple as that? I'm genuinely curious.

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Looks like the countersunk the hold after the finish was applied. Not a good QC move.

ChrispyFinch likes this.
  5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

That's a shame. Not sure how that passes QC. In my case it was a 2017 USA Gibson and unfortunately, poor QC was no surprise. I've got an Indo LTD that's flawless ( also a TOM) but I've def heard ppl complain about QC issues with certain ( Korean?) LTD models. You said that the anchors push in quite easily... that would give me more concern than the aesthetic of the routing error. Not sure if it would be a legitimate concern but I'd keep an eye on it to make sure that the anchor doesn't start to pull out.

This was mine... again, not at all as deep but bothersome nonetheless. Luckily the routing-depth flaws weren't too noticeable when bridge was lowered down closer to the body and the anchors fit tight but still... always disappointing to have to deal with issues like this. You can see that it looks almost black around the studs due to it being a darker stain and also wicking into the grain but it looked much better than the raw wood for sure.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

nickgray likes this.
  6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Is it new? Original hardware?

Kinda looks like it might be an aftermarket bridge with a different stud size/type

7. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Yep. New and original hardware.