Tom morello

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by fiaracer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. fiaracer

fiaracer Well-Known Member

ok does anyone know the specs on tom morellos arm the homeless guitar?
    Pickups?
    type of neck?
    any info will help

2. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Tom uses an EMG 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. The neck is either a Performance or a Kramer I've heard both. I'd lean towards Performance, who are kind of like Warmoth in they sell parts to build your own guitar.

3. PnKnG

PnKnG Banned

Let the expert talk :D (I'm a member of a forum that is completely over Tom Morello and his gear.

The guitar started out as a Performance Custom shop guitar. Tom hated everything beside the body about it. Body is most likely Alder. Neck is from a Kramer (the famous hokey one). Pickup is a point where there is a lot of discussion about but we have a guy on the forum who rebuild ATM from an old Kramer with an Alder body. He went through combinations of EMG 81/85, 81/81, H/H and H/81. the closed and most likely being H in the neck and 81 in the bridge. In an interview Tom said that they are singlecoils in humbucker format (the H is one)(also with "H" I mean the active one not the passive one (H4)). Which fits for the neck but the bridge is just a bit to hot output to be a H. So a 81 is the one thats it most likely. The guy has also the complete gear of Tom into the very last detail. Bridge is a Ibanez Edge. Wiring is 2 humbucker, 3way switch, 2 volume 1 tone. Tom turns down the Volume of the neck to get the killswitch effect. (on Soul Power he has an actually killswitch, but on ATR he uses the 1 volume at 10 the other at 0 method). Strings are GHS Bommer .09 to .46. Picks are Dunlop Tortex H3.