Tom Hess Music Corporation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JeremyRodriguez5544998, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I know very little about Tom Hess. I stumbled upon his YouTube videos a few months ago when looking up some technique tips, and had never heard of the guy. I still don't know exactly who he is or what his interaction with the wider world has been.

Given that, I did poke around his channel and website. It triggered my "This man is trying to scam me" spidey sense. I don't know how describe it concretely, but I got distinct vibes to stay the hell away from anything he was pushing.
    And that reads like the kind of bulls!!t testimonial that any good scam has in spades. Now maybe you're a real person and maybe he's a great teacher, but every time I look into anything related to the dude it's just a parade of red flags.

2. JeremyRodriguez5544998

JeremyRodriguez5544998 Well-Known Member

I can understand where you're coming from. This post really wasn't to promote him. For the 10000000th time I'm simply trying to see what everybody thinks of him. It's important as a student to get feedback about the teacher you currently have to know if you made a mistake or not by choosing him.

But seriously, his articles and mini course really did help me. Maybe it didn't help you because you're a super advanced player already??? IDK

3. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I've read through some of his stuff and some of it was useful and insightful.

4. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Nothing I saw from him led me to believe that I should send him money. It feels like he's trying to rip me off when I read the website. What I saw on YT suggested to me that he's a perfectly good guitarist and very possibly a perfectly good teacher. But when I dug in, I just saw a pushy salesman employing aggressive sales tactics at best.

Part of it is simply that I respond extremely poorly to pushy sales people.

5. SqWark

SqWark SS.org Regular

His lessons are great if you think spending $55+ for a few scale sequences and a couple of arpeggios is worth it. You don't even get video instruction, just a PDF. Every month you do get a nice video of some of his students going on about how awesome his lessons are. Watching those is time I'd love to get back. Tom also emphasized how important it is to be a part of his Forum and how forum members progress 77% (or whatever random number) faster than non-forum members. You are supposed to ask any questions you have regarding the lessons on the forum so that his other trainees can respond . :rolleyes:
    The only personal instruction you get from Tom is every six weeks when you submit your video updates. You then get a short feedback thread with whatever tips Tom has for you. So basically you're paying $110-$330 in lessons (based upon lesson frequency) to get 5-10 minutes worth of Tom Hess personal instruction. Decide for yourselves if that's worth it for you or not.

6. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Anyone who would put some garbage like this out is nothing but a pos huckster and a complete joke in my book:

[​IMG]

7. SqWark

SqWark SS.org Regular

8. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

My Girlfriend, upon seeing that said, "That seems sloppy."

Enough said.

9. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

I understand that any given live show is not necessarily a good demo of a player's skills. A lot can be happening from one night to the next. Still, man was that a rough one.

10. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I once saw this clip:

https://youtu.be/jukCT44uMNM?t=3m13s

where he asks as student: 'who's your favorite guitar player?'

student: 'John Frusciante from the Red Hot Chili Peppers'

Hess: 'do you know, do you like any guitar payers who are better....technically better?'

that told me all I need to know about Hess.
    He is a technically very good player, but that's where it ends, IMO.

Like the Red Hot Chili Peppers or not, Frusciante does have his own sound and style, much more so IMO than Hess. Technique and virtuosity is not everything. But I doubt Hess is getting that point.
    All of his playing that I have seen on YouTube was technically VERY impressive, but nothing that moved me emotionally in any way at all ....
    just my two cents.

11. FRETPICK

FRETPICK Banned

12. SqWark

SqWark SS.org Regular

The whole Tom Hess world has a really douchey Multi-Level Marketing feel about it. Generic, cheesy motivation, oddball, cultish philosophical nonsense, Lemming-like brainwashed students, bull.... emails full of false promises and hyperbole. What he actually delivers is woefully minimal. There are just too many great guitar instruction options nowadays to ever get taken in by this sort of junk. What you'll pay for one "lesson" ($55+) you could buy 3+ months of access ($15/month) to Troy Grady's Masters in Mechanics course and the difference in quality of information is night and day.

13. djyngwie

djyngwie SS.org Regular

I think this may be one of the dumbest things I've ever read: