Tips on saving?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Brill, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Whatever you do, DON'T get drunk and buy $200 cowboy boots that you'll only wear once.

2. MFB

MFB Banned

First thing to do on EVERY pay-day is to deposit a set amount - whether it's $10, $50, $101.76, whatever it is - put. it. away. into a savings account. Don't ask yourself "Well what if I suddenly need it?" because it should be an amount that won't immediately miss (like say, half a paycheck) but will get you into the habit of saving; and if you feel you can start putting more in, GO FOR IT.

That's how I budgeted for my new car. Every paycheck I took out $50, and at the end of the month when my bills were all paid and up to date, I set aside whatever else I could towards it. Lo and behold, 6 months later, I financed a used 2008 Altima that cost around $12K over a 5-year plan with an amount that's not killing me monthly.

3. PostOrganic

PostOrganic Empty

Seems like you already know your problem and your solution. Stop doing that. :lol:

4. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

THIS!

That's how I got to save enough money to emigrate to Europe. Just set a fixed amount to save ON payday, not after the month is gone. Then you'd gradually increase that amount until you hit the sweetspot on money needed to survive the month without sacrificing too much of your current quality of life.

And try to keep up with your expenses, know how much of your income goes into what so you see where you can make some cuts.

:2c:

5. Pav

Pav ???

Give up playing Magic. The game just continually siphons your funds. Plus that shit went waaaaay downhill after 7th edition.

6. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Pay ahead with rent, you can not get that money back like you would with a savings account now a days with Internet banking.

7. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

I banked several thousand while going to college and working by just limiting impulse buys (usually to zero) and planning the SHIT out of bigger purchases like guitars. You'd be surprised how much of a bankroll you can build by just not letting yourself get shit you don't need.

Eventually you get to the point where you're not waiting for pay day to get things, because you already had enough anyway and you still don't give a shit about the crap you could get. It's almost like pretending the money's not there, but eventually evolves into strict financial discipline. It's getting me through school crap while well-fed with no debt; should work for you too! :yesway: Granted, that I don't drink or smoke helps immensely :lol: but it's a damn good feeling to not have to worry about next month's rent when so many of my friends/even my roommates are haha.

8. FireInside

FireInside .Buried.Breathing.

The wife designed a special cup for me that says "GAS Fund" on it. I toss all my extra cash in there and every Holiday she gives me money to stash away. It tends to add up relatively quick.

9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

:yesway:
    Figure out how much you spend on what you need - and...just don't buy anything else :lol:

10. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Chicken and rice erryday.

11. Kiwimetal101

Kiwimetal101 'Tread Lightly'

Take time to consider big purchaces aswel, like sleep on it for a week or so, ive been wanting an iphone for a seriously long time but i just cant justify spending that much cash..
    Even though im a massive apple fanboy, after sleeping on it I just couldnt justify it..

12. tm20

tm20 SS.org Regular

-eat properly so you dont feel hungry through out the day
    -play with toys you already have (wheres your big box of lego? :D)
    -download movies and music
    -go to a park and talk to random girls, its fun and free XD

13. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Dollar menu!

14. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

This. Me and a few buddies played it for awhile. If you want to win (especially for money), you have to SHELL OUT. Also, don't buy stupid, wasteful stuff.

15. ILuvPillows

ILuvPillows Baby seal will destr

Some food resources I've come across during my time as a student:

Buy a big bag of potatoes, spend an hour or so cutting, peeling, boiling and drying. Stick them in the freezer. It will keep your drunk binge eating costs down.

Large can of tomatoes, 2 cans of kidney beans, onions, herbs that other people have bought and never use. Lasts you up to 5 days worth of dinners. (P.S Add rice or some of those delicious potatoes you've recently frozen)

Why buy fruit when you can buy tinned fruit? Moneymoney my friend.

16. PetrucciVai

PetrucciVai SS.org Regular

spend less money? :lol:

17. jeleopard

jeleopard SS.org Regular

Hey, THERE'S a use for that dancing dinosaur :p

18. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

:idea:If I were you I'd go down to your local bar around closing time and buy random middle aged ladies drinks before I would buy anymore "Magic" cards...