Tips for playing this b*tch?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by chopeth, Dec 16, 2019.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

^Thanks, mate, I think I'm starting to getting it myself ;)

I agree with everything your recommend but I'm unsure of the pinky out, I have played all my life like this but lately I'm trying a posture like of a relaxed fist in a way that my knucles brush against the first strings. I think I feel more in control and my pick moves not as away from the string I'm plucking, which translates into more control... the downside of that is that my pinky is not anymore serving as a pivotal point, but I'm unsure that even is a good thing... anyway, I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense, but I'm starting to feel relaxed at 200-220 sometimes.

c7spheres likes this.
  2. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

You are actually trying to play 17.333 notes per second which is an optimistic speed for music. If your bandmate can play it effortlessly, then he should probably be the one to play it, especially if he can maintain "precision" on the wound strings of a 7-string guitar at that speed. :2c:

Lemonbaby, chopeth and c7spheres like this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Cool man. Just keep trying things out. Everyone develops their own style over time and finds what works and doesn't for them. The key is just being consistant with the practice and paying attention to what's happening, then you can figure that stuff out faster and what's comfortable.
    - Consistancy will bring results. It's kinda like working out. You gotta develop all those "twitcher" muscles and keep them flexible and not over-exerted, just like any muscle. Eventually you'll develop a muscle memory and it won't be an issue until you haven't worked them out for awhile then it's just a matter of a couple days of practice to get back in shape. You're in a good spot, actually, because you can develop everything properly and the best you can from the start. It's harder to reverse muscle memory bad habits than to build it properly initially for sure.

chopeth likes this.
  4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

he does for sure, and that's the purpose of this thread, trying to get to his mastery, but he started very very young playing tech death and I started already in the second decade of my life playing campfire songs and the easiest metallica's... tough goal, I know.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

There's your problem. He's been doing this for most of his life as a musician and you are being thrown in the deep end. Riffs like that need a machine picking hand that takes years of refining. One easy solution is to right a separate rhythm part over it, where you are just playing wide chords or chugging power chords.

c7spheres and chopeth like this.
  6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I am aware of everything tell me, I'm 40 and my bandmate is barely older than 20. I can't play as fast as him but I'm a bit wiser ;)

I also have in mind the solution you propose, but that's like the last chance, I want to try to depurate my technique first the best I can and to play better. In case there's a show incoming or something I'll look for a shortcut like that but in the meantime, I'll keep on struggling! I'll try to learn by heart the cracking the code advice or any tip related to right hand mechanics and see if that helps.

7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Just mime it! Just kidding. I couldn't help going there. : ) Best of luck with it though. Start practicing anyways. If you want to be able to do this stuff you'll get there eventually, even if this particular song/riff is changed up or has to be put on the back burner etc.

8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

3 weeks already spending an hour a night only playing this specific riff... seems I have a barrier I cannot trespass in 200-210 bpm... but I'll keep on trying

9. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Hm, I don't want to sound negative, but I think in this context three weeks is a really short time.

200-210 is pretty fast, but 260 is a whole different story. If someone asked me how long it could take to go from 210 bpm 16ths to 260 bpm 16ths, I would say probably years, or maybe even never.

Just my opinion, maybe people who are better than me will disagree, but to me trying to get to that speed seems like a really big undertaking.

c7spheres and Mathemagician like this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

All I have to add is to make sure you’re using all four left hand fingers. There is substantially less movement involved as long as you’re using your pinky everywhere you should be, namely most of the 4 and definitely that 6.

chopeth likes this.
  11. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Wow, really? :( You turn my hope into shreds. At some points of my practice after I while I have the impression I feel comfy to rise up a little bit but then I see I'm inconsistent and go back to the 180-200 bpm point.

Yeah, I do that, thanks,

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I'm in the same camp here, I'm wondering if this is notated correctly.

A FAST shred player can play scale runs in the 180-200bpm range. You're talking 30-40% faster than that. If you're playing 260 quarter notes per minute, that's 4.3 quarter notes per second, 8.6 8th notes per second, or 17.3 16th notes per second (yes, I realize I'm repeating Given to Fly's math here), which expressed another way is about 1.08 bars every second, a bar every 0.932 seconds, or the entire 6-bar motif in 5 and a half seconds.

Is this riff as you've notated only five and a half seconds long, when played through once? If not, then the tempo is notated wrong. And if so, then this is an extremely, extremely, extremely fast riff that will take a ton of practice to nail.

c7spheres and chopeth like this.
  13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Exactly, drew, it is notated right, it lasts for around 5 seconds... I have tried to upload it here several times but dunno how to do it from a mp3 or wharever he sent me. That is the beginning and when I say it is extremely hard the guy stares at me as I was out of my mind xD... There are parts further in the song that are harder though

c7spheres likes this.
  14. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Stick it on soundcloud or something.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah that's nuts man. Most people simply can't alternate pick that fast. Tell your guitarist to stop writing death metal and start playing shred solos.

16. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

17. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

It's a bit hard to hear exactly what's going on with this kind of music, but that doesn't sound like 16th notes to me. I think it sounds more like 8th note triplets or something like that.

chopeth likes this.
  18. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ Agreed

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

So maybe I can reach that sometime soon... around 9 notes a second

20. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You're thinking straight 8ths - triplets is more like 13, I think? But much, much easier yes. In my experience picking at this tempo is almost always in triplets

gnoll likes this.