Tips for motivation?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by kchay, Mar 9, 2017.

1. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

This may seem like like an odd suggestion, but it helped me a lot when I was going through some tough periods in my life. I took a break from guitar, and I started working out. I spent a lot of time outside running. I wasn't good at first, but I kept going. I got a new energy from life. Even if you can't run at first, walking, jogging, lifting weights, something like that helped me.

Depression is something you're going to fight, but you can fight it. But it's not something you can necessarily do alone. This is one thing in your life worth seeking real help. I've watched several family members struggle for years before finding the right treatment. You can do this, don't give up on potential treatments.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If some antidepressants were giving you suicidal thoughts, then they clearly weren't working. Working with the medical staff will help greatly in this situation. One of my family members has severe depression which he kept hidden for years until symptoms were too obvious while at school. The only thing keeping him on this planet are meds.

The tone of your posts indicates that things are really not going well, and you should see medical professionals and find something that works for you.

3. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

Here is an idea I thought of for you to do, if you can (I don't know what it's like in New Zealand):

1. Find a quiet beach (not totally remote, just one where there's not tons of people) on the coast somewhere, ideally one that has some kind of restaurant a short walk away (10 minutes or less).
    2. When the weather is nice go there alone (don't bring any communication devices of any kind with you to the beach, leave them in your car and turned off) in the afternoon about 3 hours before sunset, when the sun will still be out but not too hot, just warm.
    3. Bring with you to the beach: sun screen (one with UV ray protection of course), chap-stick, sunglasses, maybe a beach towel if it's just all sand only (in case the sand is too hot to sit on), and... an acoustic guitar (and pick(s) if you need/want it). BUT... don't bring it with the INTENTION of playing it, bring it just to have it there in case you get in the mood to play it (if you don't own an acoustic, buy one, and get a case for it to bring it in just in case (lol, unintended pun) it starts raining while you are there, weather can change suddenly even if it wasn't forecast to).
    4. Now just sit there facing the ocean. Don't think about anything but what your senses are taking in. Just watch and listen to the ocean, and feel the ocean air and the warmth of the sun. Do this for about an hour.
    5. If you do find a beach with a close walk to a restaurant nearby (I'm talking like a 10 minute or less walk, not like half an hour or something), walk there and get something to eat (hopefully they have the type food you like). When you are all done and nice and full (not so full that your stomach hurts though, lol) head back to the beach.
    6. By now it should be getting closer to sunset. Do the same thing you were doing before, just sit and watch the ocean but now you have the sky getting more colorful with the sun closer to the horizon, so look at the sky above the horizon, and the sunset when it's setting. If you get the urge to pick up your guitar and play, do so, but if you don't that's fine too, there's no pressure at all, it's just there in case you get the urge, then it's there to satisfy the urge.
    7. Once the sun has totally gone down, keep sitting there and pay attention to the things that might not have changed. It's darker out, you might see a star or two, or the moon even. If the beach is near enough to some kind of bush or other nature you might hear crickets. Sit there doing that as long as you want, until you don't want to anymore, or have some other reason you need to stop and then go home.
    8. Pay attention to how you feel once you are back home for the next few days. If you feel less depressed, then make it a regular thing you do as often as you can and want to, and for as long as you notice it is helping your depression lessen.
    9. If you notice you feel more depressed the next few days after doing it... if it's because you didn't like it, then scrap the whole idea, it didn't help you, you'll have to keep trying to find something that works for you (everyone is different, so what works for one person, doesn't necessarily help another person).
    10. If you notice you feel more depressed because you wish you were back at the beach, lol... well then I'd try to find a way to move to the beach somewhere if possible (I know that can be pricey though). If you can't do that, then I'd make it something you do every now and then as a fun thing, but if it's making you depressed in your home then I wouldn't do it like a regular often thing, but maybe a few times a year or something.

You're not alone I've suffered from depression my whole life too, I've been taking Zoloft since I was a kid, it helps somewhat, at least enough where I enjoy things I like (like playing guitar). I'd no doubt be way worse, and probably more like you though without it. I was just trying to think of something that might help without you having to see a doctor or take medicine, that's why I thought of this idea for you.

But I think you might need to find a medicine that works for you (not all do... if the one you took made you feel suicidal, then your body had an adverse reaction to it, a different one might work though because each one works differently, if you've never tried Zoloft, talk to your doctor about that one, since I know it helps me) also since it might be something your brain is just not able to do correctly (maybe chemical balancing or something) without some kind of supplement.

Hang in there, don't give up, you're not the only one who has this problem, you're not hopeless, even though you may feel that way (which is understandable... when you're depressed, you can't imagine anything working, especially when you've had it so long and tried so many different things to no avail, I totally understand).

Come and post on here every now and then and let us know how you are doing, we're all hoping the best for you (I know I definitely am)! :hug:

4. kchay

kchay SS.org Regular

I've taken on gym work recently (started this year, been going regularly each week). I've seen some body improvement, thank god. But yeah; I got past that initial burst and now I have to keep going, which is tricky hah (although I feel a little bit better, so I'll take that as a small victory).

5. kchay

kchay SS.org Regular

I think the issue I had with all the antidepressants I tried was that they made functioning basically impossible. They all numbed basic responses to a point where everything feels the same, and that in itself just makes me feel inclined towards suicidal thoughts. Nothing feels special anymore. The monotony drives me insane. Then there were the additional effects of sleepiness/irregular sleep patterns/appetite that were all an issue too.

I appreciate the comment. I really do. I just need to figure out how to work it out. I spent so long feeling this way, in one way or another, that I can't really figure out a life thinking otherwise.

6. kchay

kchay SS.org Regular

Thank you for this. I'm really near a beach here, although it's unfortunately coming close to winter so not sure how viable it'll be. I really should.