Tightest BKP Neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ShiroNekoMusic, Dec 27, 2019.

1. ShiroNekoMusic

ShiroNekoMusic SS.org Regular

I got a beautiful 7 string pale moon/limba Mayo that came with stock uncovered cold sweat set. Those sounded really good, but the bridge pickup was way too sharp and I changed them for a set of Juggs. They were awful, scratchy and boomy so I got another (this time covered) set of Cold Sweat/Nailbomb ceramic. These set is the best but...

I feel that the Cold sweat neck is way too boomy to palm mutes, I don't know if it got darker with the covers but it doesn't sound that good to me, kinda flubby. I thought that perhaps a Painkiller would make it to achieve those liquid neck leads that are still super tight (I palm mute A LOT with my neck pickups). Should I try changing them? I play through a boosted ENGL Savage 120 and out of a V60 ENGL standard 4x12. What may be the problem? The bridge pickup is nice so I would prefer not changing that.

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

why'd you do that, mate?

KailM, couverdure, _Mick_ and 4 others like this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Stairway to Heaven blows Contributor

Exactly. Neck pickups will always sound more rounded on the lower end - Precisely what you don’t want for tight palm mutes.

Use a bridge pickup and if anything roll off some low end as needed (or use a mid/treble booster like TS in front of your rig).

To;dr stop trying to use a hammer on screws. YMMV

Hollowway likes this.
  4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I expect the Painkiller would be effective. It's certainly their tightest bridge imo

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, pickups with covers can get darker BUT I don't expect Bare Knuckle to use low quality brass covers instead of high quality nickel-silver ones that almost don't block high frequencies (check for eddy currents and inductance if you want to know why and how this happens) so I won't say that's the reason in this case your new CS is darker than the previous one.
    You could try using hex screws instead of fillister screws, that will give you a more percussive sound, but we are talking about very very small almost non perciveable changes in the sound in a full band situation so...

The Painkiller bridge pickup is pretty tight, yes, but I find the neck one to be very fluid and thick but with lots of pressence that cut-thru... maybe less rounded than the CS because of that higher end but because it is thicker in the mids I am unsure that's what you want...

On the other hand, I suspect you do palm mutes from the neck pickup in solo situation or things like that not for absolute metal "chugga-chugga", if you do it for heavy chugga-chugga then I will have to ask like the other "why the hell on earth would you do that!"

Ask Bareknuckle about another pickup, maybe the Crawler or the Rebel Yell would be better for what you want, in case the CS is the best option you can try the hex screws as said or, a bit more of a hassle, but you could take the cover off and swap the magnet for a ceramic one as the CS neck uses Alnico5 and the ceramic will give you more snap, highs and cut... by the way if you do it you will see if the cover is really darkening the pickup a lot or not, but I wouldn't expect the covers BKP uses to really darken the pickup tone, nothing a bit of a turn of the Presence knob could not correct...

Cheers!

6. ShiroNekoMusic

Why wouldn't I? Palm mute is just another technique and I love that kind of thump and punch that Tesseract use in the dystopia album. A good example would be Petrucci's A rite of Passage middle riff. I like using everything that an instrument can provide you.

7. johnucol

johnucol New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Then leave the bridge pickup in. It's not like you have to change out the C-bomb, especially if you find that it fits well. Since you asked about the Painkillers, I like the set. However, the bridge has a very pronounced spike in the mids which you may not like in your guitar. The neck is not as tubular sounding as the Cold Sweat neck, but I feel like I can still get ample fluidity out of it. For what it's worth, here's a sample clip I made awhile back where I tracked the lead and melody lines with a Painkiller neck, albeit in a PRS:

Also, feel free to contact Bare Knuckle's customer service. They're quite knowledgeable when it comes to pickup recommendations for their product line.

Zhysick likes this.
  8. ShiroNekoMusic

Yeah that's mostly it. I use the neck in split for some riffs and mostly soloing. I don't do the chugs with it of course!

Masoo2, Hollowway and Zhysick like this.
  9. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Good for you then, sometimes I'm chugging and feel my tone is shitty... I peek at my pickup selector and notice the neck one is selected and then I feel relieved going back to good ole bridge pup, but if it works for you, great!

Hollowway likes this.
  10. ShiroNekoMusic

Yeah, but I prefer the chuggs with my bridge pickup as well!

11. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Why not try what the TesseracT guys are using? Aftermaths and Blackhawks

Surprised no one else here has ever done anything but solos and cleans on their neck pickup, it's fun asf to do muted runs and slappy stuff on the neck pickup

12. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

^i also do that on the bridge one, maybe I'm just too lazy to care :lol:

13. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Try the BKP Aftermath neck. Looks like you'll like it for the same reasons everybody hates it.

I use all positions for different stuff. In fact my guitars are wired so I can swap coils between pickups to create more humbucking sounds. All of them have their place if you don't play just metal.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  14. ShiroNekoMusic

I had a Regius 7 with an Aftermath set. Hated it. It wasn't as tight as the bridge pickup and had a very weird attack. If I had to describe it... the sound would be similar to a whip whereas I prefer the palm mutes sounding more metallic and punchy. I'm kinda weird describing sounds!:djent:

15. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Lower the pickup...raise the screws.

McBrain likes this.
  16. ShiroNekoMusic

I lowered the pickup already!

Update: I've been playing the whole morning with an EQ in the loop and it sounded much better taking out some harsh high frequencies and adding some hi mids. I think it solved my problem, I might not buy another head again!

Zhysick likes this.
  17. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Ever play around with the height of the screw pieces?
    It can make quite a difference on certain pu's.

Zhysick and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  18. ShiroNekoMusic

Yeah I did! Didn't work tho