Tightening up amp with pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by spaghetti_time, May 15, 2020.

1. spaghetti_time

spaghetti_time SS.org Regular

Hey, been pulling out some long unused gear during these wild times and was wondering what folks would recommend for tightening up an amp pedal-wise that won't change the tonal qualities of the amp itself. I know a TS-style pedal is probably going to be brought up and I've had several over the years, only bonded with one (Amptweaker Tightdrive Jr. which I sold) but I'm open ears to all sorts of boosts/overdrives. I appreciate all the help from the last thread I started (got myself a MI Audio Megalith Delta on the way to put in front of my Musicman HD). Currently running a Verellen Skyhammer that's a little loose. Usually run it on the edge of break-up and currently boosting it with a HM-2 for leads (but it's not doing the trick for rhythm).

Thanks!

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The most transparent boost is an EQ pedal.

3. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

No such thing - tightening means pre-distortion eq changes. You can maybe undo them with an EQ in loop, or built in parametric like a Mark series, or particular cab/speaker choices. But you can't change the distortion character without touching the tone

4. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Just about every OD/boost I've tried adds some change to the tone...I acutally like the added midrange. But my go to these days for tightening is the SD805. It has kicked many a high dollar pedal to the curb. GREAT boost! It and an MXR 10 band in the loop and I'm set.

5. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Airis Savage Drive is fairly transparent, but I think an EQ pedal is probably your best bet.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Try an EQ pedal or something without the TS-style mid bump like a Klon clone or dedicated clean boost pedal. The EHX Soul Food and Wampler Tumnus are great budget Klone pedals, and the Friedman Buxom Boost is a super versatile clean boost with a "tight" control like the Amptweaker.

7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I spent years and years trying to tighten a Marshall 6100. The best you can do is a boost pedal you like (or an EQ) in front of the amp, and an EQ pedal in the effects loop at the same time to get rid of any frequencies you don't like as a result of the pedal in front.
    After years of doing that, i came to the conclusion that if i have to do so much to an amp for me to like it, i should just change amps. I got a 5150 and almost any way i dialed it in, i liked it. Where as with the Marshall i was just endlessly moving pots and sliders by a tiny amount until i was happy.

StevenC likes this.
  8. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I think that based on your description you'd really like the Mesa Boogie Gridslammer. Is a fairly unknown booster compared to the usual suspects but it does exactly what you're looking for.

Check the later part of this video for on/off demo:

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  9. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

you said you liked a pedal but sold it. why not just buy it again if it worked for you?

10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Seymour Duncan Forza for sure. It’s the best boost for people that don’t particularly like boosts. The 3 band EQ will allow you to cut bass without needing to exaggerate the mids like a TS circuit does. The SD805 also has the 3 band EQ, but is a TS circuit, so the mid hump is there.

11. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Im a big fan of the Savage drive...it sounds fantastic with every amp and pre amp i use it with...pretty awesome boost/Eq/Od...what ever it is its awesome !

Mike

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  12. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

BYOC's Parametric Overdrive has my vote. You can purchase it prebuilt if your not willing to build it yourself. Or get the Pearl pedal its based on, but they are hard to find.

You can set the parametric boost/cut at noon and it will be as transparent as an Overdrive can be. Or mess with the knobs and boost or cut the frequencies you want.

It take some time to get used to, but man this thing is amazing

Emperoff likes this.
  13. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Just when I'm getting interested in the DIY pedal world. Hhmmm.

Vostre Roy likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Boss SD1

15. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I would suggest a graphic EQ with both level and gain sliders (MXR 10-band it Boss GE-7). Cut out some of the lows, maybe boost mids in a few key places.

OD pedals, even the highly adjustable ones, usually impart a signature on your tone. Most often, it’s a desirable quality, but I know what you mean by keeping the amp’s tone.

By and large, I always boost my 6505 with an OD. But I’ve dialed it in (differently) without a boost and it didn’t sound worse. Still bloody amazing, in fact. But possibly harder to mix and a little harder to play (more touch sensitive and responsive to dynamics).

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  16. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Try an eq. You can put It in front of your amp for a Ts-style approach or in the loop for a more drastic change to the tone.

While OD are more " like it or hate it", an eq will always have its relevance on your chain and you can use It for cleans or distorted tones.

17. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

I use an MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive in front of my amp with a Boss GE-7 in the effects loop. The EQ pedal in the FX loop really brings out the ballsy tone of the amp.

18. protest

protest SS.org Regular

TC Spark is a cool boost pedal with a few different modes. Pretty transparent, but I use it more for leads. I feel like the more transparent you get the less tightening/percussive the change is to the tone.

When you boost your amp are you doing the stereotypical Level on 10 setting? I'm not a big fan of a "boosted" tone, so I always run my pedals at unity gain or just above. That already does enough to thin the tone heading into the front of the amp without getting so much of the pedal's sound in the tone.

19. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Anything with a bass knob. Literally anything.
    Cut that bass out.

20. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

^This.
    Put a Boss GE-7 in the fx loop, leave all the other sliders at bassline, and completely cut the 100s and 200s. Then use the level slider to taste. Perhaps not completely 100% transparent, but certainly not ts mid-humpy sounding either.