TIES!

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
lets discuss ties. your favorite knots? favorite type of ties? your favorite tie you own?

i'm just getting into ties...kinda enjoying the skinny silky black or white ties.

and this maybe dorky, but cool at the same time! 14 bucks a piece isn't too bad actually. but why is it a clipon?!

Mikein8bittie-andpat.jpg

11.jpg

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of knot my 2 ties are in, but they stay tied in that knot all the time. I rarely have to wear a tie. I've tried learning how to tie them, but I forget how the next time I need to put one on.
$14 isn't bad. I was providing security for Jos. A Bank last holiday season, and the cheapest tie I saw there was $65.... on sale! All of their clothes were too expensive. It's no wonder they wrote a contract with the security firm I was working for. People were stealing their stuff because it costed too damn much.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't dig ties, nooses just aren't comfy. I rock the Fedora/Panama hat instead. Not your tilby's either, full out big brimmed bastards.

troyguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I've worn a tie 5-6 times in my life, don't like them at all. Totally uncomfortable.

But I do at least own 2 and know how to tie them, so I don't have to look like an idiot on those rare occasions when they're necessary :lol:

HaMMerHeD

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I pretty much only wear a tie when I go to the Symphony. I have season tickets to the OKC Philharmonic, and I usually take my mom with me. I wear a suit and tie..it's a nice evening. I only have 6 or 7 ties. My favorite is a blue silk paisley tie from Emilio Ponti.

ties.jpg

It cost me about $34 at Men's Wearhouse.

soliloquy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
...why are your ties so friken expensive?!
i see ties here for 10-20 bucks all the time. and pretty nice ties at that!

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
I have to wear a tie everyday, and I actually like them now. I have a few Ermenegildo Zegna ties that I wear a lot. I tend to like their ties a lot. I also like bcbg ties a lot as well. I tend to get the ones from previous seasons because they are a lot cheaper. Normal retail price for a zegna tie is like $180. You can usually pick them up for 40 though if they go on sale at nordstroms or if you get them on ebay you can get them for even less.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I have 2 solid black ties that are from Dockers, and I think they were like $15? One's a traditional, thicker style tie and the other is a thin one. However, I only wear them when I'm in my full suit and never with my sweater-vests. I will however wear a tie if I do a button up underneath my sweater (all like, 3 of them that I have). Depends how classy I want to roll that day.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
I prefer Jerry Garcia ties, my self.

I've been using this one the last few times I've had to suit up.

31XjOhBG-kL.jpg

Cost me $12 at Ross'.

I don't dig ties, nooses just aren't comfy. I rock the Fedora/Panama hat instead. Not your tilby's either, full out big brimmed bastards.

I wish I could find a fedora that would fit my bulbous head that wouldn't cost a fortune. Fedora + tie + pocket watch (with brass watch fob) = Classy motherfucker.

UnderTheSign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like wearing funky ties to funky parties!
267872_10150316020639365_545889364_9383674_6574509_n.jpg

Though I'm known to wear a noose around my neck to parties as well as noose and tie translate to fairly similar words in Dutch... Gotta love puns.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score

I totally want a Panama hat. Like... bad. Those bastards can get pricey in a hurry if you want a nice one, though. I've found some nice Montecristis in what I consider a reasonable price range, but I have a humongous dome (7 7/8", or 62.5cm) and the largest they have is 7 5/8" (62cm). I think that'd probably still be fine, but I'm a bit hesitant to drop $100 on a hat that may not be comfortable.

On the topic of the OP, I hate ties. I rarely even wore them when I was in the Navy, because when we had to wear our winter blues I could just wear my dress blues (cracker jacks) instead of the service blues (johnny cashes) w/ a tie. The only time I've worn one since getting out of the Navy was for my Grandma's visitation and funeral last winter.

I'm turning in to a complete sucker for aloha shirts these days, though. Hilariously tacky and no ties required :lol::lol:.

AxeHappy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ties are the manliest thing a guy can wear next to a beard.

I love them, and try to find excuses to wear them. I prefer classic shapes to the thin ties and I use the Four-in-hand knot typically.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
I totally want a Panama hat. Like... bad. Those bastards can get pricey in a hurry if you want a nice one, though. I've found some nice Montecristis in what I consider a reasonable price range, but I have a humongous dome (7 7/8", or 62.5cm) and the largest they have is 7 5/8" (62cm). I think that'd probably still be fine, but I'm a bit hesitant to drop $100 on a hat that may not be comfortable.

Where have you found $100 Montecristis? My hat size is 7 3/4" so maybe 7 5/8" will work.

I need to get myself a panama and a fedora, panama for every day, fedora for dress events. Maybe I'd mix it up because I'm classy like that.

I elect that this thread be turned into the Classy Men's Fashion Thread.

ayambakar

The Giver of Likes
Reaction score
Holy flippin' cows those Montecristo Panamas are expensive. :noplease:

I'll get fedoras, then.

On topic, I wear my dad's ties all the time so heck if I know what kind of tie it is :lol: but I always do half-windsor knots. Easiest, IMO.

ayambakar

The Giver of Likes
Reaction score
Holy flippin' cows those Montecristo Panamas are expensive. :noplease:

I'll get fedoras, then.

On topic, I wear my dad's ties all the time so heck if I know what kind of tie it is :lol: but I always do half-windsor knots. Easiest, IMO.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score