Thoughts on the Ibanez RGIXL7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Smitchface, Apr 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Smitchface

Smitchface SS.org Regular

Hi all,

I have owned an Ibanez RGIXL7 for about a year, and I have always been somewhat unhappy with it. It feels clunky to me, and neither myself nor my music store friends can get it to feel as comfortable as we would like to. We have it set up with 10-59s in A standard, but we can't get the action low enough to be a fast playing guitar.

Have any of you had a similar experience with yours?

Cheers

2. Aewrik

Aewrik SS.org Regular

I'm playing 12-74 now, tuned down one step to D, then drop C/drop F, so very high tension on the first five strings. I found my neck moved a lot even after it was initially set up, but once I tightened the truss rod it got better. It still moved during winter and the fret board shrank and cracked a lot, but I wrote that up as "ebony". Still, with a slight adjustment to the neck it's fine again.

What happens when you do get the action low enough? Fine on the high frets but heavy on the low frets? In that case the nut may need sanding down a bit. The nut is rarely optimal when shipped from factory.