Thoughts on cheaper multiscale 8 strings?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Eden, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Eden

Eden SS.org Regular

Hey all, I've been looking to get my first 8 string, and am looking for something that won't break the bank. This past black friday, legator ran a sale on their multiscale 8 strings that I almost got in on. I've also seen that both Jackson and Ibanez both have multiscales in $700 range, has anyone gotten the opportunity to try these out? What alternatives are there out there that are worth considering, I'm not currently looking to spend more than 1k so I know that that will limit the options are for that, or if it would just be better to get a standard scale erg

Also, with multiscale guitars, how easy is it to find replacement pups if I end up liking it and want to mod

2. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I briefly played one of the Ibanez Iron Label multiscales. Seemed nice enough. I didn’t notice the fan at all, surprisingly. Felt very natural.

People say the neutral fret is critical, so I don’t know what will and won’t be comfortable over the long term, though.

3. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Eh, I really think it depends on the player and their form/style. I notice bigger differences in the size of the fan, rather than where the neutral fret is located.

Best bet is go to guitar center and try the cheap stuff, you'll quickly identify the one that feels the best.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

The problem with the Ibanez neutral fret is that it's so far forward (12th fret) that the frets at the low end of the board (where let's face it- we're going to spend most of our time) are much more dramatically slanted. I have one of the multiscale RGD 6's and my first fret is so slanted that if you were to draw a line connecting the bass end of the first fret with the treble end of the nut, it'd just about be a vertical line.

Where if it was moved forward to what seems to be standard (around the 8th fret), the more dramatic angling would occur near the high frets, but that wouldn't be much of an issue because unless you play for Northlane, you aren't using those high frets on your low strings nearly as often.

It's still nice. I still prefer it to a straight scale. Just saying it could be even better.
    FWIW- I did try and decide to buy this guitar by messing around in a GuitarCenter :lol:

LeviathanKiller and MoonJelly like this.
  5. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

^That's the way lol.

I think when I play a fanned fretboard I instinctively "choke up" on the neck when I play the lower notes. The neck is tilted at a higher angle and my arm, hand, and fingers are still pretty much in a straight line. It affects how I play, but after a while I don't mind or seem to notice unless I'm really watching myself.

Anyway, results may vary. I think finding that ideal neutral fret placement is going leave you without many options. Agile seems to place their neutral fret around 5-7 which would maybe suit your tastes better; by all accounts they're good for the money.

6. NickLAudio

NickLAudio SS.org Regular

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i bought a 2017 multiscale 8 string Harley Benton, and I was lucky I DIDNT get a Lemon.

That guitar was awesome and had no flaws that effected play ability. It was also built like a tank. They make excellent mod platforms too.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  8. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Yep, agile or Harley benton. Both have great return policies if you get a bad one

LeviathanKiller and lewis like this.
  9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

They go hand-in hand. If you are talking about chording, a higher neutral fret would feel like a wider fan, and vise-versa.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The Jackson dkaf8 seems like a decent starter dirt cheap.