Thoughts on a new seven string?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by DwarfOverlord, Sep 22, 2019.

1. DwarfOverlord

DwarfOverlord SS.org Regular

So I've been jamming on a seven for about a year now - a LTD TE-417, which has been pretty awesome: I've been keeping it in Drop G#, which it handles very well. I'd like to get another, this time a baritone so I can tune down to Drop F comfortably. Preferably I'd like to get a set of BKP Blackhawks in there, whether its stock or I have to put them in myself I don't mind. Or if the guitar's stock pickups sound close enough that's also fine. I play a lot of Northlane/Periphery kind of stuff.

So far I've come up with a few options: the Ormsby HypeGTR 7, Ibanez RG1027PBF, Ibanez RGDIX7MPB, Jericho Elite, or the Chapman ML1-7 Pro.

Any of you guys have any opinions on any of these? How would they compare in build quality to my TE-417? Which would you go for, or are there any others in a similar price range ($1000-2500 AUD)?

Cheers dudes :)

2. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

What about the 2027xl? I just got one, its great.

3. DwarfOverlord

DwarfOverlord SS.org Regular

Those look pretty solid, but I'd like to stay with fixed bridges. Should've mentioned that in the OP

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

If you flex your budget a hair you could probably grab an EII TB7, which is kind of the big brother to your TE417.

DwarfOverlord likes this.
  5. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

When it comes to 7 strings I've always been an Ibanez guy, but not long ago I got to play a Jericho Elite 7 that a friend of mine has, and it played beautifully. He had his only tuned down to A though, so I can't vouch for how it'd handle and intonate tuned as low as you're talking about. It had a nice full resonant tone when played clean, which I really liked.

6. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Get it and block off the bridge. Fixed with the benefits of a locking nut and fine tuners. And it's a super simple/cheap fix.

7. 7ibby001

7ibby001 SS.org Regular

Not sure what's considered Baritone around these parts, but The Schecter Keith Merrow 7 MkIII Artist is a lot of guitar for the money. 26.5" scale length, fixed bridge, Hipshot hardware, stainless steel frets, Keith Merrow sig Fishman pickups. I wasn't a big fan of Schecters (I'm an Ibanez boi through and through) but man, can't deny the quality of the KM7mk3. The neck is very Ibanez-like compared to other Schecters I've played.

I'm not sure how it compares to the LTD, but if there's a store nearby that stocks them, give it a shot.

8. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

^ Same here, I never thought much of Schecters until playing a few in the last couple years. I have to say, they are making some really nice guitars these days. I've played the KM7 mkII and liked it a lot, but I REALLY like the C-7 SLS ELite! That would be my recommendation to the OP. Although, I will say, they are fairly similar, so get whichever one you find a deal on.