This sickness of "tightness"...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Kalvsylta, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

:yesway:

Everything sounding robotic and lifeless.
    Just create a perfect midi riff, play it with any guitar vst = PERFECT RIFF.
    Why it'll never sound good?
    Because robotic sounding instrument = crap.
    That's humanity what makes music awesome.
    TINY mistakes add life.

2. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I like great production where you can clearly hear all the instruments, but I'm just not a fan of the modern trend to over edit and compress everything to hell and back, giving it that lifeless, sterile feel you hear with a lot of bands now.

It's just too...idk...synthetic sounding/feeling.

3. DredFul

DredFul Maple fretboard enthusiast

Different strokes for different folks :shrug:

Great music is great whether it's overproduced or stucking a mic in the middle of band practice.

Super realistic graphics vs side scrolling silhouette-type 2D graphics? It's just the packaging and has nothing to do with the quality of gameplay or story etc.

4. fps

fps Kit

First, be understanding of people who get nervous when the red light hits. Getting on their case isn't going to help them produce a great take, no matter how good a player they are.
    Second, yes, practising until you can play the riffs in your sleep is, of course, vital to the process of preparing to record.
    Third, what I'd look for are two tracks, one each side, which sound the same. Perhaps the guitarist hears the beat a little differently, or like to play slightly behind the click. Within reason, these things relate to rhythm, and are kinda fundamental to what music is as a living, breathing entity.
    Fourth, if you're going for utter machine accuracy, you may as well just programme the computer to do it. Genuinely, what's the point of playing it in?
    Fifth, if someone can't play it like that live, then it's not really part of their sound, so why record it like that? (See *fourth*, if it's not part of the guitarist's sound and style at this point, just get to programming it).
    Sixth, a lot of the best stuff on albums is a happy accident, don't flatten the humanity out of everything you record - this current ultra-clean shiny sound is not, IMO, going to age well at all, the further out we get and the more it has to be compared with awesome, human performances.

5. fps

fps Kit

Agree with the sentiment, though I'd say it's an integral part of the experience of playing, and the vital thing is to match the style to the experience being conveyed.

6. fps

fps Kit

Agree. If you're going for that sound I think it should be fully embraced, a la Rings of Saturn and Meshuggah, though I think the new Meshuggah really flourished for having a slightly rawer, more lived-in sound.

7. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

OP, I honestly don't see why you are making it so difficult for yourself, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

With my old band, we'd generally do five or six takes without pausing for each track and then just edit the best pieces together. With overdriven guitars you can also easily shift bits without it sounding unnatural. However, I am talking about editing DI tracks for reamping.

8. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

That sloppiness is why I always liked the chariot. All the noise, feedback, and mistakes all over their recordings made it more real to me. It worked well for them imo.

9. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

I don't know what OP means by "millisecond", actual millisecond is negligible. Maybe he does record sloppy players, maybe he doesn't, bottom line is a tight player will still not play like a MIDI synth, but like a human; in the pocket. And that's a good thing.

10. Yodel

Yodel Banned

Sounds like the mindset for making overprocessed ....

11. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

I quite like tightness, as in a well rehearsed and well executed performance. Tightness as it is often perceived today, i.e. down to the tenth of a millisecond, not one extraneous noise, no string noise anywhere, gate mercilessly enters the picture at every single precise spot, and basically any kind of "pocket" is to die, is not for me, though. I have no problem listening to songs recorded that way, but with my own stuff, it kind of feels like "de-guitaring" the guitar, if you know what I mean.

12. BouhZik

BouhZik SS.org Regular

Megadeth's peace sells and rust in peace guitar tracks are sloppy as hell.

Yet they are 2 of the best thrash album of all time.

Over-edited or sloppy, if the song is good, then the song is good...

13. Kalvsylta

Kalvsylta SS.org Regular

I guess I made myself look like some kind of overproducing nazi.

What I mean with milliseconds is that in my opinion a sloppy chug e.t.c. Easily makes the riff loose its agressiveness or flow so to speak.
    I cant tell the difference of single milliseconds.

A picking riff easily sounds childish and amateurish if the notes doesnt keep in rythm.

I have no problem with natural sounding music if the song allows for it.

Northlane - singularity is a really great production in my opinion.
    It has drive, precision and swing.
    It would have been ruined by untight guitar and bass play.

14. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

All about the sound you're going for. I have one band that is very technically-demanding (at least for our abilities), but its a very "organic" project and when we record there are slight variances in the dual-tracked guitars, maybe even a mistake or two that, to me, make things sound alive and give breath to otherwise dense music. Very rarely will we edit off chord trails, or make sure all the instruments are going silent exactly simultaneously. Then I have another project that is much simpler musically, but is intentionally machine-like and cold in its sound (we've actually been accused of playing to tracks and not having any live instrumentation on a few occasions, even though everyone on stage is definitely live) and when we record for that, I don't even bother with recording full riffs, etc, just chug, chop, slide, repeat sometimes beat by beat, and even though we CAN play it super tight, it fits the vibe to have everything inhumanly on the grid. The only thing I won't really do that super tight editing for is leads/fast guitar runs. That single note quantizing crap on leads drives me nuts no matter how mechanical the rest of the recording is.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This, so much. I like guitar because it's a very "human" instrument that allows a lot of the personality and touch of the player to come through. I'd never encourage someone to sacrifice that in return for technical perfection.
    This, so much. I like guitar because it's a very "human" instrument that allows a lot of the personality and touch of the player to come through. I'd never encourage someone to sacrifice that in return for technical perfection.

Yeah, you kinda diid. :lol:

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I like hearing tightness, but I tend to record things like a maniac. I'll put gates on 3 guitar tracks, then no gate on the other two to get a tighter sound without making it sound too produced.

I've tried to chop out little noises and do retake after retake on solos, but it just makes things sound lifeless to me.

I think everybody has their own tastes, though, and I really appreciate hearing a track that was meticulously produced. I'd like to think that I can appreciate some moderately-produced stuff, too, though. Sometimes I hear a track that sounds like it was recorded on a Teddy Ruxpin doll, though, and it makes me too distracted by the low production quality to really get into the music. I would venture a wild guess that my standards are lower than average on this forum, though. :lol: