This is the last one. I swear. Except...If...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by OmegaSlayer, May 5, 2021.

1. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I'm sitting on 25 guitars right now and my wife has no idea what's new and what's old. I tend to rotate guitars in and out of the cases and onto the stands every few weeks and she's just given up trying to keep track of them. At this stage, I'm pretty good at convincing myself "you already have _____ that does _____" and I can usually avoid an impulsive buy. Also, I've never tried to tell myself "this is the last one" as I know that's never going to be the case.

It's rare these days that I actually seek out a guitar outside of a custom order. Most of my finds recently have been used guitars on local ads and social media. If something comes up and it fits a need, I may jump on it. In the last year, I ended up buying 3 guitars because they were instruments that filled a specific gap in my collection. I picked up a yamaha silent guitar for quiet practice and travel capabilities, an old fender strat that has a very specific sound, and a charvel that I could have done without, but the quarantine was driving me crazy and I needed a creative outlet to do some cool mods.

5 years from now, I'll probably have even more guitars and still no regrets. If you can afford a new guitar once in a while, why not?

Perge, Jacksonluvr636 and OmegaSlayer like this.
  2. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I have tried to convince myself this. I even quit playing guitar and sold everything I had last year and well, here I am buying more stuff again. There can never be a last guitar until you are dead and buried.

OmegaSlayer, 73647k and mastapimp like this.
  3. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

This thread is amazing haha.

I tell myself this too, but I know it's not true.

Like others here already said, we're guitar players but were also guitar afficionados, who enjoy the construction, design, art and historical aspects of different models.

I prefer to try and adhere to a 1 in, 1 out policy, where the only exception is if an instrument fills a niche that I dont currently have covered. For example, my most recent is an 8 string headless multiscale guitar. I had nothing like that before, so I didnt move anything to cover it. But I told myself that'd be it for the year, and Im already browsing vintage/new acoustic guitars! I barely buy anything else and can afford it, so fuck it!

Besides, we all know deep down that the truely correct number of guitars one should own is n+1, where n = your current number of guitars.

Pjmarinh and OmegaSlayer like this.
  4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I'm gonna buck the trend here and say I'm totally fine with a few guitars and don't think about "Oh can I re-sell this?!" the second I buy something or think about the next thing I want. I do my research and land on something I love, then keep it and play the shit out of it. Never sold a guitar yet, hope I don't feel the need. *shrug*

My exceptions in regards to impulse buys are almost purely price-based, and the threshold is quite high. For instance if a MIJ Ibanez Prestige that checked all my boxes popped up used for like $500 I'd pick it up, but I'll pass if it's $1000. I just don't care that much anymore about buying the next big thing.

OmegaSlayer and dbrozz like this.
  5. guns_of_minerva

guns_of_minerva SS.org Regular

I think the questions you need to ask yourself when you feel GAS coming on is:

"What problem will this solve?"
    "Will I use this to create music?"

I also operate with a music budget, if that budget is reached I need to sell something to raise the money I need for the next thing.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

You can either fight GAS or run with it. The internet is full of people who do either or, and judge the other side :shrug:.

If you want less GAS, avoid forums.

7. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

What's holding me back from keep buying just one more is that there are 3 or 4 specific guitars I REALLY want and so far either they aren't coming up for sale or are just stupid prices, then everytime I see another guitar that I think would be cool to have or have gas for (£550 for a pro mod charvel dimartini snakeskin mmmm) I just know that as soon as I pull the trigger on that the next day one of the unicorn ones will pop up and I won't have the money for it coz I got tempted to stray by another! (Damn you Charvel!) So I've ended up buying nothing for the last 8 months! Haha

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  8. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Honestly the plague has been great for saving money lol, everything is obscenely expensive AND out of stock constantly :lol:

OmegaSlayer and Louis Cypher like this.
  9. TimSE

TimSE Tone Chasr Contributor

I've laterally bought 4 guitars, couple pedals and a Mesa rec half stack in the last 10 days.... I just embrace the chaos :lol:

OmegaSlayer, budda and Demiurge like this.
  10. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

OmegaSlayer, TimSE and Demiurge like this.
  11. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I've gone the opposite way for now, and sold everything except my 27" Agile LP. It's far from perfect but it's mine, and I've been finding a lot of value in working with what I've got. Tired of spending hundreds or more on guitars that *don't* check all the boxes.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  12. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

It's deplorable.

Unless it's a Telecaster...?

Ok, just a Telecaster, then I swear I am stopping.

13. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

ME: "I've got enough guitars and I just can't justify buying another one."

ALSO ME WHEN I SEE A GUITAR THAT I CAN AFFORD:

[​IMG]

14. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

The way I go about it something needs to go when something comes in. I don't like clutter and I like to keep the spending on that end in check. A small pedal is not going to break the bank but more expensive purchases make a dent if they were to accumulate. So I trade or sell. I do regret parting with pretty much every guitar I sold which leads me to believe that any guitar I have chosen is probably good despite the style/model/maker...

I do not need all the guitars I have now. I only regularly use 3. And I have been thinking of selling the ones I don't use. But the market isn't too great right now so it's not fun to pursue that business. Also some of the stuff I am not using is stuff I don't see popping up used so that's another reason to keep it for now–the fear of never getting a shot at having the same or similar again after putting time and money into acquiring those guitars at a decent price over so many years.

OmegaSlayer and Matt08642 like this.
  15. evade

evade enthusiast

hahahaha my girlfriend and my friends all have heard me say that

it's like me crying wolf

"it's the last guitar, i swear"

uh huh

i have a problem

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  16. dbrozz

dbrozz SS.org Regular

This thread made me buy a guitar yesterday.

Thanks fellas!

17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

We just dropped $100k on a home build. My GAS has been paused by order of the wife. Except for what I have on preorder and the many builds in progress via @Randy .

OmegaSlayer, budda and Randy like this.
  18. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

All Gibsons, hes wildin.

OmegaSlayer, TimSE and USMarine75 like this.
  19. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

I've lusted over the KXK grape 8 even though I'm not really a 8 string guy, but if that comes up for sale eek!

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  20. terran236

terran236 Iridescent Noise

Used to spend money on frivolous things like extra guitars i dont need. I still have a little collection but haven't bought a guitar since 2019. My Daemoness was the last guitar i ever bought. Focusing my energy on Creativity instead. I have all the plugins I will ever need. Unless there's something really unique. If you feel guilty its probably because you bought impulsively. It happened to me but i forced my self to stop the need to buy every single thing the "pros" recommend.

New guitars aren't fulfilling anymore, especially after feeling guilty. Took A while but i stopped falling for glorified commercials. With enough inspiration you can make your music without needing the next best thing. Creating new songs is more important in the end. No ones going to hear your music and wonder what guitar you used. But hey if everyone woke up from the "GAS" phase, companies would lose a lot of money.

But hey! everyone different. Most people prefer to have tons of guitars even if they just collect dust.

So i Say to ya keep on buying if it makes ya happy but dont do it if you feel guilty. Music comes from within, not some "thing" with fancy paint and strings. Guitars are just tools.