This is the last one. I swear. Except...If...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by OmegaSlayer, May 5, 2021.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I wonder how many of you keep failing like me.
    Stating, 100% sure, with conviction that you have just purchased your last guitar.
    Then there comes the "except if I find..."

I purchased what I believed to be my last guitar on past Friday, "because it checks all the things I wanted"
    I purchased another one Monday...which I don't totally "need per se" as it doesn't fill any of my needs...so much for the last one.
    (NGD towards the end of the week when i can take pics)

And knowing already that there's 3 exceptions that I have dreamt to own since I was a kid, should I ever found them second hand (an Ibanez JPM, an Ibanez JS1000 BTB, an Ibanez PGM100)...and knowing that I want a PRS and some V (either the ESP Arrow or the ESP Petroza)...then I like...
    You get where this is going

I mean, how do you feel with the compulsory GAS, do you ever feel guilty (I do), do you lose a bit of respect for yourself for not standing to your word (I do), do you try to hide your purchases from family (I shamefully do and I come up with all sort of excuses), or you don't give a d**m?

Is there some piece of gear that would make you go out of your ways and would make you pull the trigger on a purchase even if you feel like your guitar harem is already filled?

2. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

Needs change. If my desire so strongly overwhelms my intense inclination to avoid spending money on needless things, then clearly my needs have changed.

So to answer your ultimate question, no. In my case, it's built-in protection: the answer will always be no because, by definition, I'd never buy anything unless I need it.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  3. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I still cannot believe that my fiance' was agreeable to me getting both an RGDR 7 string and an EHB multi-scale bass while we were saving for our wedding reception...

4. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Makes you question her judgment, which might put her choice of spouse in doubt as well…

I kid. We’ve been on 1 income for something like 5 years now, raising two grandkids and paying a mortgage. She already ok’d my picking up an EHB this year, then when a used Solar popped up locally similar to the Artist model I’d been daydreaming about, she insisted I just spring for the real deal instead!

Life may not be easy, but it’s hard to complain when “too many guitars for my rack” is an issue!

And back to the OP - if I’ve learned one thing in 42 years it’s to never say never!

torchlord and OmegaSlayer like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Ah I see you're still in the denial phase of GAS. I accept that GAS is a chronic condition and I just embrace it anymore, because fighting it doesn't work for me in the long run. I feel zero shame for my guitar harem, or for for adding very specific pieces to it.
    do what makes you happy and damn the rest.

6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I've honestly just given up and accepted that I'm a whore when it comes to guitar and guitar related guitar. Life is actually so much more simple now :lol:

Surveyor 777, Allexi, dbrozz and 2 others like this.
  7. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Denial
    Very much denial
    I try to lie to myself every time I see a guitar
    I'd buy everything with 6 or more strings that goes from a Danelectro to a Benedetto going through BCRich...

8. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

I have accepted that I can't stop buying gear. Luckily my gf is fine with it, she thinks they'll look nice hanging on the wall. So it's a win-win.

OmegaSlayer and Vyn like this.
  9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Once I sold my first "expensive" guitar that I had thought I would never sell, I realized that needs and wants change and that Im likely always willing to buy something else.

So far I've been right.

OmegaSlayer and chipchappy like this.
  10. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

I dont really have that many guitars but I'm very grateful for what I have. I see people with massive collections or people that are constantly flipping through gear and it really doesnt appeal to me. What I have I love and use with my band. Feels great to have a steady rig where you know it inside and out.

11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'd rather leave it to Grim Reaper to decide which guitar is my last acquisition.

12. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I really just don't have any needs to be filled. Both my guitars currently are all my project requires and I have a bass and keyboard to pick up the rhythm section slack. Neither of my current guitars I'd sell either, my BC Rich has so many memories associated with and is 100% my go to guitar for how versatile it is and how good it sounds and my ESP is so damn rare I'd sell it only when the market is right. Also it sounds monstrous and feels great to play, I bought it bc urban camo SV but I'm keeping it for how amazing it feels to play.

OmegaSlayer likes this.
  13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I just don't browse guitars anymore to avoid GAS :lol: And if I run into something I really want, I do my best to trade it for something I don't need.

I don't think wanting another guitar is wrong in any way though, preferences change... And sometimes you might buy a guitar after GASsing for it a long time only to realize that it wasn't your thing. Not very long ago, I thought I'd never want to play a 6-string again but now my Xiphos and MMV just inspire me much more than my RG1527 for whatever reason.

I'm not really gassing for anything at the moment, but I know I want to get a few more guitars and other gear when my financial situation allows it. For example I wanna own a Jackson Warrior, a Jackson Rhoads, a classic Flying V (I guess even a cheap clone will do), something with an Evertune... Some proper tube amp and another 4x12" would also be cool to have.

14. Choop

Choop n______n

Fortunately for me my girlfriend is a musician and understands the GAS problem, but I do still feel guilty about making bigger purchases; mostly because it's often a lot of money for me...and right now it's just at home hobby status. Also we are starting to run into a space issue with all the gear plus hard cases for everything. .-.

15. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I don't get GAS for guitars. I've got a few, but they're all set up for the different tunings i use. So they're like tools in that way for me. I've never sold a single guitar, but i did give one away.
    I do get GAS for amps very occasionally, but still have only ever bought them to fill a hole in a type of tone i want, or for practical reasons (like i have two 5150, but that was because i was living between two places).

I'm good at saving money, and i don't have a massive collection of gear, but when i do buy something i tend to go quite high end.

16. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I used to have a fleet of guitars, but my financial circumstances changed when I became a homeowner, and that theoretically cured me of GAS, since I never quite get the change together to muster another guitar (plus, I just don't play enough anymore to justify it).

That said, I've also had the twin addiction of buying physical albums (usually vinyl, but CDs and cassettes as well). And therein lies my inability to keep a decent bank account. It's a lot less money per purchase, but at the end of a year, the amount I spend could probably get me a custom shop guitar. So, I understand the addiction, and the constant lure of the internet dangling endless temptation in front of me.

17. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Told myself this twice this year lol, but I can say that I've found a guitar that crushes all the rest and plan on keeping my desires at bay for a while. I do, however, would treat myself with a special build when I retire, but I try my best to either trade a guitar or talk myself out of it unless it's a deal I can't pass up. My wife says that my "guitars are a piece of art" and she is supportive, but I have to be careful to not go nuts and cause unnecessary strain. But, I won't say I have never got a guitar without her knowledge, put it in a room upstairs for a little, and brought it down like I've always had it lol.

18. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

My mindset is most in line with @zappatton2 on this topic. Other priorities eventually take over.

Fortunately I already own several guitars... each one different enough to keep things interesting so that also quells the gas to some degree. As an example, I have a Sustainiac equipped Schecter that I hadn't played in over a year. Dusted it off a couple weeks ago and have been playing it almost every day since... had forgotten what a fast and fun axe it is.

I did buy a short-scale bass a few weeks ago but it was so cheap and I think that it was justified as I just can't manage a longer scale bass at this point due to physical limitations. And because my wife understands that music is a huge part of my life, she encouraged me to get it so that I could continue to maintain that particular expressive flavor.

What I gas for most these days is a hollow-body but I simply can't justify it enough to actually pull the trigger. And sure... I gas for other guitars and gear all the time but I know that it'll pass. And as with many things that I have in my life, I step back and count my blessings. The older I get the easier that is to do. So many people have so little and at least in my experience, happiness does not come from excess.

19. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Just consider yourself a guitar player and guitar collector. A friend of mine who's a guitar player only owns one guitar and he loves it. It's all he needs. I, on the other, am a guitar player who likes to collect guitars. Every time I purchase a new guitar, I'm on the internet the next day searching for new guitars that I want to buy. I didn't even restring/set up the guitar that I bought and I'm already looking at other guitars. If you love buying guitars and it doesn't hurt you financially and/or any other way, buy them.

dbrozz, OmegaSlayer and zappatton2 like this.
  20. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I went through this idealistic stage in my twenties where I thought I had all the gear I'd ever need. In my thirties I started to realize there is no such thing as "all the gear I'd ever need" as those needs shift, my focus changes, and my musical needs constantly evolve.

In my forties I'm one day away from receiving my latest guitar purchase and am already considering what the next one is gonna be. Fuck it all, life's too short to skimp on desires you can afford.

That said, I'm also pairing down right now, selling off cheapos with no sentimental meaning. I'll probably off five guitars and use the proceeds and some extra to buy two really nice ones. Though, truth be told, I know 100% there will be more. If we moved into a bigger place there'd be more already.

OmegaSlayer likes this.