This is the best year for new metal albums in a long time...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by big_aug, May 18, 2016.

1. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

I loved Fleshgod's release so much that i'll be hard-pressed to find a better album this year.

its like listening to a Castlevania soundtrack with death metal on top. total win.

2. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

that is all

3. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

4. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

I really like the new Vektor and Kvelertak album, the latest Gorguts EP, Gruesome EP, Wormed album and the latest Aborted album. There is also a new Be'lakor in the making that will be released this year. Also really looking forward to the new Gojira effort and the double split from Defeated Sanity. Great year for metal! \m/

5. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

I started listening to it and thought it was awesome until the vocals kicked in and dragged it down.

Im seriously so over screaming vocals now. Git gud skrubs.

6. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

considering my post was "i'm looking forward to the new metallica record", and the post above came out, i feel the need to respond here....

I don't care if their record is good or not, if it's thrash or whatever, I just grew very annoyed of the hype surrounding some bands releasing something, from Metallica to Maiden through whatever genre and niche.

fair enough

Even the "Gods" makes turds, and I find quite honest to just accept that no band can make only masterpieces.
    Any band can fail, my favourite one, your fave, anyone else's fave...because they're humans.

yup that's true. Not sure who is saying anything different

At the same time the band that always released turds can make a masterpiece out of nowhere.

That would be fantastic, but im not holding my breath. I'm just hoping for a good album from a band i've listened to for the majority of my life.

So, while the hype is a beautiful "romantic" thing, I just prefer to sit down, wait and listen with normal expectations and enjoy the final product and be genuinely surprised.

the romance does not come from hype, rather the experiences youve had in life that go along with these bands, be it metallica or some indie band playing clubs. But yeah I agree, you listen with open ears. In my case, i happened to really like death magnetic.

But mostly...it irks me to listen to people marketing for years something they're not even strumming at home, because they're at home cleaning their butts with dollars.
    So yeah Lars, don't talk about the disc, record it instead.

They take too long to record. That said i'm glad to hear members of a band i enjoy talking about a new album. They are old, rich, and successful, and can never go back to being young, super driven punks with hard core attitudes. There's plenty of new bands for that.

But yeah....i'm looking forward to hearing it....

7. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Really glad I heard this. Kral's departure from Mercenary marked a clear decline in quality in all their future releases as far as songwriting went. I really missed his vocals too, the interplay between him and Sandager on Everblack and 11 Dreams was magic.

8. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Vector was dope.
    Right now I'm most stoked for the new Nails album and Swans.

9. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

shuggah

10. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Oh yes. Looking forward to both.

And evidently, I'm the only person who absolutely adores Vektor's vocals. I'm not really that mad about metal vocals in general (bar Mikee Goodman, who is also very polarising) but I love that shriek, shrill voice! Chance in Skeletonwitch sounds a bit similar but doesn't take nearly as much crap from people for it. Hell, so did Chuck in Death! :lol:

Also, this year just keeps on giving:

[​IMG]

I was put off by the new logo as I assumed it may signify a drop in heaviness... and then I heard the first single. WOW :hbang: Add Dave to the "approved vocalists" list, he has that gritty, almost punk edge, love it!

11. big_aug

big_aug SS.org Regular

Yea, so much awesomeness this year.

Feels like a good album to look forward to about every month so far.

12. AChRush1349

AChRush1349 SS.org Regular

Zhrine put out an amazing album, Gorguts dropped a masterpiece, Phobocosm's sophomore effort was quite impressive, new Plebeian Grandstand is fantastic, Altarage dropped some devastatingly heavy ...., new Radiohead is on point, its been quite the year

13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

This year, I'm excited for/have enjoyed new Architects, Periphery, Meshuggah, Napoleon, Carnifex, Hands Like Houses, The Amity Affliction, Erra, and Fallujah :frantic:

I'm sure there are more I'm either forgetting or am thinking came out last year, but those are just the ones off the top of my head.

14. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Glad someone else mentiond Gruesome their new ep is really good.

Moonsorrow, Grand Magus, Entombed AD and Borknagar were all grear releases. Looking forward to Gojira even though I know it won't top From Mars to Sirius.

Whilst theya re not New Nemesis Divina and Bergtat reissued on vinyl has mde me very happy with this years music output

15. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I found the Grand Magus really disappointing. Sounds like an album full of b-sides.

16. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

Eh that new Gruesome EP was just more pre-Human Death worship.

It was nice to hear on Savage Land but I really want that band to try something else.

17. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

Dystopia was crap. Stopped listening to the new DT after 20 minutes or so. The lyrics sucked and so did the music.

Well, I guess that was my contructive post for today. The new Vai leftover track from P&W is great though and Buckethead has released some good pikes.

18. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Either we have super different tastes or you guys need to give Akroasis and Dreamless another shot. Akroasis is close to being my AOTY and Dreamless is really really good, once you differentiate the songs (I admit they sound a bit similar, but after a few listens, the subtleties really make that album great).

19. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Yeah, Akroasis one of the best releases this year

20. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm really looking forward to the new Oh, Sleeper. Children of Fire is awesome, hopefully the new one will be even better still. That'd be sweet.