This is ground beef! (rant)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by soliloquy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

mini rant:

[​IMG]

and this is a hamburger:
    [​IMG]

yet i've been getting silly customers come up to me asking for 'hamburger'. i show them the frozen variety and they look at me like an idiot saying slowly like it would make a difference 'no, i'm looking for a h-a-m-b-u-g-e-r'...

i show them the fresh variety, the turkey, pork, chicken, beef, even tofu variety, and they still look at me like an idiot...

then they come up to me 10 minutes later with a box that says 'ground beef' and they say 'see? this is hamburger!'

so...when you're having taco, you're going to say 'hey man, pass me that hamburger'?

whoever said 'customers are always right' never dealt with a silly customer...

:rant:

for retail workers, what pisses you off?

2. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

well, I don't work in retail for that very reason.. but I did have something similar
    happen to me at sam ash. I stopped in to see if they had any planet waves
    auto-trim tuners..

[​IMG]

but he persistently referred me to this:

[​IMG]

he almost got to the point where he was going to repeat himself
    slowly. then he realized, what I was looking for after I had asked him
    if what he was referring to could actually cut excess string waste
    automatically. douche. :noway:

not quite the same scenario, but just as irritating.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Well, you know what they say, even if you figure you're of average intelligence, that means half of the people in the world are going to be dimmer than you. Aaaand 100% of them shop for food.

And yeah, the customer is most certainly not always right.

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

5. devolutionary

devolutionary No longer 7-less

Legitimate in the States and maybe Canada, sure. Ask for that over here. You'll get one hell of a daft look if you shake your head at frozen patties. Mind you, it's beef mince here as well.

6. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

/\ to call ground beef 'hamburger' is to call an egg a chicken. or yolk a chicken breast/wing/leg etc... or to call sugar/flour/yolk cake, or vice versa.

yes, we know ground beef CAN eventually be turned into hamburgers, but thats not all ground beef can be good for.

7. devolutionary

I gotta wonder if it's an American thing that has slipped over the border. My American pals call it Hamburger all the time. It sure as fuck ain't universal.

8. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

When I buy it, I get ground sirloin. It's better.

And from my experience in the foodservice industry, the customer is always ... fucked.

9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I understand your rant but you should take into account that the people buying ground beef may only know how to cook it as hamburgers. They may not even realize that a lot of take out or restaurant food may use ground beef for something else than burgers. They may also never tried burgers made from other meats or non meat products, heard about it or even thought about it. Being smart doesn't mean you have any idea about cooking but of course having an open mind might help you accept new concepts faster!

Now I think the hamburger was invented Hamburg but since it is connected so much into American history it's not a sure thing. On the other hand it might have been made by ham (cheaper meat) so it would be ham-burger (completely unfounded etymology of the word). Whatever the origin a 85% ground beef and 15% ground pork will make that burger of yours even tastier and juicier.

10. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

And your chance of heart attack or stroke go's up along with the taste. :lol:

11. AnarchyDivine88

AnarchyDivine88 SS.org Regular

Well as far as misconstrued terminologies I guess what was kind of annoying when I used to work at electronics stores was things like people calling USB "UBS" or asking for memory when they're looking for a hard drive. I didn't really care though, those things aren't very annoying, but when people are pompous and corrective about it while being wrong, that's kind of annoying. I work at a guitar store currently and it's kind of annoying when people refer to a maple fretboard as a "maple neck" and they think they're right and try to correct me when I show them a guitar with a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard.

Those are all just semantics, so they don't really matter, but one thing that's annoying that a lot of people do at any kind of retail store is that hilaaaarious joke when you try to scan an item at the register and it's not working for some reason and they say "It must be free" and they laugh out loud as if they're the first ones ever to say that. :rolleyes: Do you have any idea how often we hear that lame joke? :noplease:

I'm sure there are plenty of other things I could name, but I can't think of them right now. I'll post again if I remember.

12. flexkill

flexkill Vodka & PentaTonic

I used to do some mechanic work back home in NOLA, Once had a guy tell me his Thermometer wasn't reading right...I was like OKaaaay and what do you want me to do about that. He said Check it out for him cause he didn't want any tickets. I was like oh okay your speedometer. :lol:

13. devolutionary

If I ever have a retail store, I will have a sign - "Tell a lame joke and get charged a 5% asshole gratuity". Such a pathetic fucking joke.

14. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

It's mince meat you fancy yanks. :lol:

15. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Then you get into the christmas pies debate!

16. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

yeah that's just minced beef here dude. I actually work in a factory that turns animals into stuff like that, I'm going to try referring to it as "hamburger" for a while and see how long it takes for someone to slap me with a steak.

17. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

You would fucking hate shopping with me :lol:

EDIT:

I grew up calling ground beef 'hamburger'. I stopped that stupid shit a few years ago, and now I call it ground beef, or ground chuck (depending).

18. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

19. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

new meaning to the term FAST FOOD

[​IMG]

20. MFB

MFB Banned

As a retail worker, what pisses me off?
    Retail.