This guitar ruined other guitars for me...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ThomasUV777, Mar 29, 2020.

1. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

Sorry for the clickbait title. I was feeling snarky.

I have a fair collection of guitars, love to try new things and so on. Keep what I love, sell what I don't like. I purchased my first Music Man JP a while back, after hating everything about them for a while (without me trying them). It was just the looks that didn't appeal to me, but then I played one and was surprised how smooth it played. Then the looks grew on me (verdammt!).

I went hunting and found a mint condition Music Man JPX7. I haven't been able to put the goddamn thing down and it just blows my other guitars out of the water, provided that they would have been submerged in previously mentioned substance. I'm even considering of selling everything and just owning a couple of high-end EBMM JP's. Slap a tremol-no in a couple so I can quickly change tunings.

Has anyone of you had a similar experience? Owning a guitar so good it puts the rest to shame? Or is this just a honeymoon-phase and things will get back to normal soon?

This whole ordeal is pissing me off and I want other hateful people to chime in.

USMarine75, Masoo2, HoneyNut and 6 others like this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I've learned that the guitar's setup is fundamental for one to have a joyful time with it. I have compared my beloved RG2027XVVs and RG7421 (deeply moded) to some brande new Prestige Ibanez, even in different rig setups and I still love mine better, WAY better. Guitars priced way higher than mine cost and I felt mine smoked them out of every place you may imagine. SETUP is EVERYTHING, makes a couple hundred bucks guitar sound like a thousand dollars one if done correctly, specially on the fret job and neck/action/intonation adjustments.

Other things to investigate are the guitars' characteristics like scale length, neck profile, fingerboard radius, string spacing at the nut and at the bridge, pickup layout, pickup adjustments, neck joint type and upper frets access, bridge type, overall guitar weight, body shape and finally, guitar material and construction. All these factors contribute for the pleasure one takes out of a guitar... I may be missing something for sure...

3. ThomasUV777

It's not just the setup in this case. In fact, I had to tweak this EBMM to get it to my likings (I prefer an extremely low action). But once I got it there, I experienced an extreme comfort after breaking it in. And that's also due to the shape that the EBMM JP models have. I'm a huge Ibanez-fanboy, especially the older models. But now they feel chunky and not very ergonomic when pressed against my gut. Fml.

c7spheres likes this.
  4. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Definitely. Mine is my sparkly blue majesty bfr. I started cleaning house because of it. Most of my guitars that were great before are now just good by comparison, even with a great setup.
    I would say there are plenty of sleeper guitars out there. My RG7PCMLTD is 99% as good as my majesty, where as my monarchy majesty 7 was about 85% (still a damn good guitar).

5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Have you ever tested a High End saber? I suggest you to look for the S5527 or S5547 models, specially the trem ones... those are kind of my dream guitars...

mlp187 likes this.
  6. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I’ve been through almost everything at this point. Bought a Jackson DK-1 a while back and haven’t really touched or played any of my other guitars since, and it’s not even close to my most exp guitar. It’s an older one I bought used.

7. ThomasUV777

I have not, I never really dug the S-shape from Ibanez. Then again, give it a few years and I'll probably adore them :erk:

odibrom likes this.
  8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

SOunds like you got a magic guitar. Keep that one if it speaks to you. Even another of the same model may not sound or play as good. I've been trying to find a guitar that will match up to my custom Ibby type 7 string and nothing does. Keep that magic guitar no matter what. You may not find another and are lucky if you ever do.

JimF and odibrom like this.
  9. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Well, I did feel that for a while with my PRS Custom 24. It's so f'in good. But I've "forced" myself to acclimatize to other guitars as well. Once I get into a flow state when practicing, I love so many different guitar models =D

I experience those kind of "crush" moments with my PRS, Ibanez, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Aristides and ESP Horizon.

10. Celtic Frosted Flakes

Celtic Frosted Flakes SS.org Regular

When I have gotten a new guitar I have often thought my new guitar is much better then any other guitar I already have, but after a while that feeling has always disappeared. So for me it has always been a honeymoon phase.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Yes, I purchased a Ibanez RG655 guitar in 2015 and it completely destroyed the playability of my other 13 guitars that I have including very expensive, U.S. custom shop, B.C. Rich guitars and my other Ibanez Prestige guitars. The RG655's Super Wizard HP Prestige neck is only 1mm thinner than the Wizard Prestige (2005-2009 version) neck so I didn't think it would make a big difference but it definitely did when actually playing it. I love it so much that I actually reserve to only play really difficult music (Necrophagist, Obscura, Eddie Van Halen solos, etc, etc, etc.) on it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  12. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

HM from ToneJunkie had some great advice recently. Keep what you love, sell what you like.

I think too many of us have good guitars, but maybe don't experiment enough to find great ones they love. Because once you do, those other ones don't get played much at all any more. :)

13. Amenthea

Amenthea SS.org Regular

Yeah, I got a beat up Hamer Californian over 15 years ago from Ebay for £130. It's the best guitar I've ever played and it looks like it fell off the back of a truck.
    I did get another one later that has the tick inlays, binding, the whole works but it feels like any other G off the shelf.

sirbuh likes this.
  14. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Regular

Ues. The new Charvek Dk24 did that for me. I used to be an Ibanez fanboy before hitting puberty, and now this thing just killed that obsesssion.

I used to GAS over other guitars much more than now.

15. thraxil

thraxil cylon

That was my experience with my first Parker. The fact that they didn't have 7 and 8 string versions available (later they added a 7 but at outrageous prices) is pretty much the only reason I own any other guitars.

I wouldn't say that there was a honeymoon phase that ever ended for me, although I did eventually start picking up other 6es just because I'm a hopeless obsessive collector and do appreciate a bit of variety (but the Parkers are still what get played 95% of the time).

16. ThomasUV777

I blindly ordered an EBMM Majesty. Supposedly plays even better than the JP models. Curious if I'll want to throw my JPX out the window after that.

17. mlp187

Ooooooooh which one? Kinetic blue? Please say kinetic blue!

18. ThomasUV777

Alas compadre, I went for the marrone. Thing looks classy as hell:

[​IMG]

Xk6m6m5X, mlp187 and Bdtunn like this.
  19. mlp187

Still 10/10 sexy!

ThomasUV777 likes this.
  20. Xk6m6m5X

Xk6m6m5X SS.org Regular

It didnt necessarily ruin other guitars for me, but i recently got a dean dimeslime ml and the v profile neck has surprised me to no end with comfortable it actually is