This Forum - Forceful Ads

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Zivtins, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Zivtins

Zivtins SS.org Regular

Since this morning whenever I open a page on this forum on my iPhone, 9 times out of 10 a SkyBet Ad forces itself to overwrite the current page and takes me to a new blank white page and pop up asking me to go to App Store.

Pretty crap tbh and defo putting me off using the forum. Anyone else had this problem?

2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I just tried it on my iPhone and I'm not getting that, just the typical narrow posts due to the stupid Facebook ad on the right.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've never had that ever, but I use android.

4. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

The forum got sold a few years ago and the ad b*llsh*t(as well as the ability to curse) has drastically gone down hill.

5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

Could be something on the OP's end. Fwiw- Every forum that I use has more advertising now than they did several years ago. Can't change that but what OP is describing doesn't sound like a site-glitch or ad issue. Also fwiw this forum does have a sub-section for these kinds of concerns. Hope you get the issue resolved b/c this site has a ton of valuable and interesting info and topics. Good luck, OP.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

7. Zivtins

Zivtins SS.org Regular

Yeah I've just realised it's probably my fault. The forum probably runs those dynamic Ads that tailor to your interests and what you've browsed on the web. I have a SkyBet account I use regularly, hence the SkyBet Ad. I guess it's Sky's fault for the way their Ad works but still mega annoying!

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Ads do generally follow what you've browsed, but I've been members of other forums in the past that do have discretion to block pop-up and auto-playing ads, so I assume SSO would have the same.

This is something SSO ought to block or disallow with the company that does the ads, if they haven't already.

9. exo

exo SS.org Regular

The "force open App Store" ads that have recently started here have made the forum almost unusable for me, because AFTER it runs thru all of the crap, they're re-loading out to the main forum menu. 4 attempts just to open someone's NGD thread is utterly ridiculous.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Haha, no problems here on my Windows XP machine....

[​IMG]

11. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic

I never visit SS.org on my phone--the experience sucks.

On desktop, the way the ads affect the layout is pretty annoying, but not (yet) annoying enough to make me leave this forum for good. They've definitely taken a bite out of my "user experience" though. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

I hope the ad revenue is worth it. If it keeps this forum funded and running, I can tolerate them I guess.

12. JumpingInFire

JumpingInFire SS.org Regular

I started using Chrome with AdBlock and it tells you how many ads it is blocking.
    17 from this site all at once . . .
    Absolutely crazy.

Attached Files:

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I PMed Alex a while back to ask if there would be a pay option to disable the side ads and he requested that I wait until the site update takes place and see if they are still annoying at that point. I take that to mean either:

A) The ads on the new software won't be annoyingly wide (perhaps like they are on on GearSlutz), or

B) There is potential, however slight, that we may have the option to become paid "charter members" to disable the ads.

Either way, the update needs to happen sooner than later - I'm tired of the ads.

14. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic

I like that idea. I'm totally willing to pay for something that I'm getting value from.

15. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I agree. I don't mind Alex (the site owner) making money from the site, but if he's making $5-10 a year (or whatever) from ads, give me the option to pay that $5-10 and disable the ads. He still gets the money, and I get an ad free experience.

Maybe more people should PM him about this so he can gauge the popularity of this approach.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire until Vanhalen bruthher

hmm never had a problem on my android phone with popups or anything. definitely helps that I run adblock on my computer so I basically never see any on there either.

17. bostjan

But "It's a really good way to make money. You're so smart, why don't you know that?" (brought to you by Carl's Jr.)

18. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

I would be more than happy to pay $10 a year to get rid of that stupid Facebook ad. I can't imagine how bad it must be without ad block or on a mobile, it's a trainwreck on my several generations old ipad.

19. bostjan

$10/year? :spock:

20. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Either it's been remedied or it comes and it goes depending on things like IP address or location your browsing from......haven't had a single ad force/redirect all day now. Makes me wonder......