Thinking of selling my 1527

Mogwaii

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Hi guys
its a dark day for me as I've been thinking of selling my RG1527RB which Ive had for just under a year. The pickups are garbage and I dont feel like swapping them out as it is a $1200 guitar that SHOULD have decent pickups in the first place. I'm not sure if i should sell it but my current GAS list is a Fender Baritone Jaguar, or maybe an APEX2. I dont think a seven fits well with my rig (Epi. Valve JR. 1x12) How are the Apex2's? Are they worth it? Maybe I could get a new bridge pickup with it after selling my 1527(if I do) What should I do?

PS. Schecters are out of the question. :nono:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont get why you'd rather change a guitar because of what it SHOULD have in it, rather than just pay a little expense to put what you want in it?

This is lost on me....

shredder777

Dr. D. Suzuki
Contributor
Reaction score
The Carvin im getting cost me $1750 and we all know how shitty the stock carvin pickups are for metal and the like. So im swapping them for lundgrens which are around 400 euros?? correct me if im wrong but that would run me like around $600 canadian and im throwing in on a guitar that cost me $1750. So no guitars that you pay this kind of money for dont have to come with good pickups.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
do you want to play metal?

then spend $300 and get a used peavey bandit. man up. the VJ is NOT meant for modern tones, and by the time you've modded it enough, its no longer a valve junior, its a monstrosity.

get an amp that can handle the styles you want to play. the bandits kick ass

Aled Smith

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dont do it man, its going to end up as regret. Id say just dont be lazy and get some new pickups. I want to change mine too in my RG1527 but im getting a custom body made similar to Chris Brodericks so im wating till then.

Mogwaii

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Dont do it man, its going to end up as regret. Id say just dont be lazy and get some new pickups. I want to change mine too in my RG1527 but im getting a custom body made similar to Chris Brodericks so im wating till then.

Even for the S7320?
Idk, I'm waiting for L&M to get one in so I can try it

ZeroSignal

Appreciates Kwolity
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont get why you'd rather change a guitar because of what it SHOULD have in it, rather than just pay a little expense to put what you want in it?

This is lost on me....

EXACTLY! I don't get it either. :shrug: Just buy new pickups. If you like how the guitar plays then just change how the guitar sounds with new pickups. If "7-Strings" in general don't suit your amp then a fender baritone is going to have the same notes and won't suit your rig either.

Diggers

Reaction score
I'll echo what others have said in that:

1: If you dislike the pickups that much, and resent having to change them you shouldn't have bought the guitar. Or should have budgeted for a pickup swap.

Personally, i don't mind the pickups in the 1527.

2: Is the epiphone your only amp?
Is it the 1x12 cab? What head are you using? I've worked with the Epiphone Valve Junior before, it's an awesome little amp for blues and jazz, and sounds great on record. But it wasn't designed for metal! (If that's what you're playing).

The Apex is kinda cool, i played one and liked it. But - you said yourself, you don't think 7 fits into your rig?

I don't want to sound like a jerk, maybe if you let us know what you want from your rig we can give you more accurate guidance :yesway:

matt7

Irish Guy
Reaction score
As someone who's been there and sold his 1527 for a 6 string, I would not reccomend doing it. You will regrete it as i do and look for one again.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Simple. Change your pickups. Hell, if you want a badass seven without spending too much money, sell the 1527, get a conklin groove tools 7, put some serious pickups in it, a peizo and you'll still come out spending less than you spent on a new 1527, and it'll be EPIC. Groove tools necks are thin as hell, like ibanez, but they're built out of cherry, come stock with locking tuners and locking output jack and you can get them on ebay for around 300-350$ USD

Mogwaii

Wait, what?
Reaction score
WOW.. :O
Thats pretty intense!
I just found out a local guitar store has ONE EMG Hz pickup for $65 brand new and I'm thinking about buying it, opinions?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
unless its an H4 (do they even makes those for 7s?) then i'd pass.

Also, EMG uses bass casings, so you'd have to cut some wood out to even make it fit.

ZeroSignal

Appreciates Kwolity
Contributor
Reaction score
WOW.. :O
Thats pretty intense!
I just found out a local guitar store has ONE EMG Hz pickup for $65 brand new and I'm thinking about buying it, opinions?

If it's for a 7 string then no. You'll have to route your guitar body to fit the 7 string EMG pickups. If you want to go down the active path then buy Seymour Duncan Blackouts. You don't have to route your guitar for them so you can go back to passive whenever you want.