Thinking of leaving California. Tell me pros and cons about your state.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bearitone, May 19, 2020.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

I know, then I went meta making a joke about a joke, hence why I used cents vs. sense

2. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

Pros of Albuquerque, New Mexico:
    -Low cost of living, lots of retirees.
    -Plenty of culture and history throughout the state.
    -Desert hiking is cool, didn't know I would like it.
    -Dry all the time. Don't worry about humidity affecting your guitar playing.
    -Thrift stores, military surplus, music stores.
    -The gamestop IT'S MA'AM person lives here.
    -Cheap plane tickets to visit other surrounding states.
    -Close to Santa Fe.
    -Local cuisine is fantastic if you like Mexican food.

Cons:
    -Winters are near freezing, but no snow. Sometimes ice.
    -Summers push 95F.
    -In ABQ, the wind is incredibly strong. This is part of the reason the plant life is so barren. Mostly just fancy weeds.
    -Crime is high within the city, lower outside of the city. Meth and human trafficking take priority over an underfunded police force. If your car gets stolen, it's probably at the bottom of the list. Speeding 10+MPH is common. Not all drivers have car insurance.
    -UV index peaks around 11. If you burn easy, cover up.
    -Not much for factory work, unfortunately.

Though overall, you don't have to go far for some wild West vibes. I like it here.

3. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer

Las Vegas is filthy stinkin cheap to live in, 4 hour car drive to LA, legal weed, everything open 24/7, great weather (except for summer), music scene is not the best but pretty decent.

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Godspeed. Leaving CA was the best decision I ever made. I did the Silicon Valley software thing for a couple years in college and just hated the tech bro culture. I do miss the hills though.

Minnesota won't fit your no-snow bill, sadly, so I won't bother pitching it to you.

5. protest

protest SS.org Regular

New Jersey!

Pros:

Cons:
    Everything else

redkombat, tedtan and StevenC like this.
  6. MFB

MFB Banned

The only good thing to come out of New Jersey was Kevin Smith.

7. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Whoa whoa whoa.

Sinatra, Springsteen, The Dillinger Escape Plan, 1/9th of Slipknot

8. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

And Taylor ham. Don’t forget Taylor ham.

9. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Maybe it's because I wasn't there for long enough, or maybe it's because of where in the state I was, but I travelled to NJ for work for two weeks a couple years ago, and it was actually one of the places I enjoyed most of the many places I travelled to for work that year. There's some beautiful countryside in that area, and it's an easy afternoon's drive down to Philadelphia if you have a day and want to go find something to do.

10. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Pros: It's like Texas, but with legal weed! And it's in Canada!

Cons: It's got legal weed, but it's like Texas. Also it's in Canada.

tedtan, BlackMastodon and c7spheres like this.
  11. MFB

MFB Banned

Springsteen? Please, he cares about Jersey so much its worrisome.

12. drgamble

drgamble SS.org Regular

There are always pro and cons to living anywhere. I moved to Louisiana because my dad got a job here. I've moved away, but I've always come back. I live in the New Orleans area. This is a really strange place, but I love it because I also make a good living here.

I have to say with all of the protesting going on, I am very proud of the region here, even though it shouldn't really surprise me. There have been peaceful protests everyday for the last week. Then again we are the type of city that has a parade when our sports teams win, and when they lose, we have a parade. Louisiana is weird because most people are pretty conservative, yet we have a democrat governor. The city is rich with music, art, and food. We hold Mardi Gras every year where the population swells to millions, but for the most part everyone gets along. To most people around here, nobody is a stranger. Louisiana is the Sportman's Pardise. We hunt, fish, and generally have a good time no matter what is going on.

There is however a lot of government corruption that goes unchecked. I chalk this up to the general no care attitude of the people.We celebrate life instead of mourning death. Louisiana is the deep south, and there still is a lot of racism that permeates our society, but there is also a majority of people that embrace the differences in culture. The greater New Orleans area is a truly unique place. We have our problems for sure, but for those of us that can make a good living here, it is a great place to live.

Summers here can be brutal. The humidity will kill most people from California that have never experienced it. We freeze maybe once or twice a year, if at all.

I don't know what you do for a living, but right now skilled trades are in high demand in this area. Hurricane season brings opportunity. There some tech industries down here, mainly biotech stuff. The main stuff is skilled trade, hospitality, energy, and commercial fishing.

Maybe visit a few places for a week or so and figure things out. America is a very diverse place.

13. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

good post i chuckled