Thinking of getting a Halo custom guitar, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by kerleyben, Jun 15, 2014.

1. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

I'll check them out

2. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

well there would be some differences, not the same exact guitar hopefully lol

3. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

I agree. Most of the hate and horror stories have been from past experience. Iirc there was someone who had recently got a Halo guitar and was pleased with the results. Also BKP had posted a picture of a recent Halo guitar with BKP's in it, and the guitar looked great! (I mean it could be just one "good" guitar of theirs that they decided to post, but playing the devils advocate here) But like you said, it could still be very chancey.

4. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

I know it's a "signature" model, but you do realise that there is nothing on it that says Meshuggah or anything remotely like that, right?

I understand not wanting something overtly branded with another player's signature/band name or whatever... but the M80M is very low key in that regard.

I probably wouldn't have bought mine if it had signature text on it... but I'm sure as hell glad I did buy it. It's a killer guitar. :metal:

5. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

New ownership or not, I would steer clear of Halo. They were known to pay guys (or give them free guitars) in exchange for coming on here and other forums to shill for them telling everyone how great the guitars were. The guys who were posting about how great Halo is now that ownership has changed have only a handful of posts and were typically brand new accounts (or old accounts that never posted... :spock:), so that gave me enough reason to continue to write them off. Honestly, if the company was taken over by new management, the first thing they should have done was kill off the brand "Halo" completely, just entirely too much bad rep with the old name and I wouldn't want to try to rebuild a company that was already buried 6 feet under and covered over with a mixture of cement and horse manure... :lol: :ugh:

Honestly, have you played a DC800? Do you absolutely NEED 28" scale, or do you just think you need it? If you can go 27" scale, you can order a modified DC800 to the specs you're asking about so I see no reason to avoid Carvin unless you're tuning to something ridiculously low that wouldn't work on 27" scale, but it sounds like everything else you want could be covered on an Option 50 DC800. Just realize Option 50 typically means "no return allowed" so you're aware going into it. :2c: Or like some other folks are saying, if there is a production model out there already that is within your price range and you can get over the stigma of using "someone else's sig model", go with the M80M. ;) I don't really get the hang-up over signature models, if someone else spec'd out a killer guitar and you love everything but the fact that it's a "signature model", that's a mental thing that you need to just get over. :lol: Several of my guitars are sig models, but I don't even think about it, I focus on enjoying the instrument itself and what it's able to give me with regard to creativity and tone. :shrug:

6. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

I should have the Merus 7 review up during the weekend. Once it got a proper once over it is a good instrument, but while it isn't a horror sorry (far from it in fact), there's still some ironing to be done, albeit not uncommon to other brands that do benefit from a far superior rep around the Web. Right now, they are comparable to Agile with better options for the price in my book.

Still, once you put Carvin in the equation, it's pretty darn obvious which one has the upper hand here, really! :lol:

7. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

Dude. Carvin.

why are we even discussing this?

8. Convictional

Convictional Starfish, Octopus

So in other words the Halo guitars don't compare to Carvin? :rolleyes:
    I think that's all we needed to know.

9. GhostHost

GhostHost SS.org Regular

Get a Strictly 7, heard they're pretty good.

10. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

If Fred says Halo are comparable to Agile then NO, not comparable at all. I went from owning 5 Agiles and sold them all once I played my first DC800. It was night and day difference in every department.

Ehhhhhh. I dont know about that one. Not sure if the one I got was just a bad example, but their neck profile is an absolute nightmare IMHO :ugh:

11. SoItGoesRVA

SoItGoesRVA Do You Even Riff?

No. No no no no no. Go read some threads on the horror stories that have come out of that shop. (and those are the people who got their guitars)

There's a reason Ola's with Washburn and Keith's with Schecter.

12. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Haha I assume this sarcasm

13. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

All due respect Fred, but of course the one they make you for your review will be passable. Knowing that they can only send a "good instrument" out for a review which will be watched by maybe 10,000 people is probably the most realistic endorsement they can get. Again, I know you're a working musician and this is how things work, but why would you want your fine name anywhere near Halo even for a moment?

On a side note, every youtuber I've seen reviewing a Halo guitar has looked sad the whole time.. :lol:

I may be being a bit harsh, I guess if you're honest about the guitar there's no harm and I have no reason to think that you wouldn't be.

14. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Simple: they sent an instrument for review and I did exactly that. This means that both the good and bad make it into the vid and that's it. All in all, with further tweaking of the qc procedures and a couple feature adjustments they can trump Agile's competition in that market, but as I've said before, they're not at that stage yet.

As for non-review examples, let's face it: if you don't treat customers' guitars as if they were review instruments in their own right, then you're in for a treat. :lol:

Let's face it - Carvin not only makes some great instruments, but they also deliver insane bang for the buck in the USA.

15. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

Okay fair point, you can't only review great guitars.

The worry i would have, is that if Halo shit the bed in the manner in which we've seen them do so before; there is an outside chance that people will lose their money, because they've trusted the reviews of a select group of guys on Youtube who Halo know a large proportion of the ERG gear nerd community are subscribed to.

I'm not pointing the finger at you or anything like that. Halo are marketing the guitars exactly as I would. Who knows, maybe they really have turned the company around.. I just don't believe that anyone would bother keeping the name "Halo" unless they'd been with the company from the start and that means they're just as capable of screwing everything up again.

16. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

I don't know if this sounds weird or picky or whatever, but I've been playing on a 27" scale 8 string for a while and I always wish it was longer. Something about the length of the neck and the string tension in my tuning feels wrong. I ideally want to tune in double drop C on my next guitar and that's pretty hard on a 27" scale guitar. I may even have to go longer than 28 for it to work well. I'll talk to Carvin because I've heard nothing but good things about them.

17. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

The Schecter SLS C-8 has a 28" scale by the way.. I know it doesn't match the other specs but could be worth considering.

18. Andrenighthound

Andrenighthound SS.org Regular

Honestly I won't buy a new guitar without stainless steel frets again!

19. SoItGoesRVA

SoItGoesRVA Do You Even Riff?

You're gonna be hard-pressed to get a 28" scale or above from Carvin. Maybe get an Agile custom?

20. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Carvin won't do a longer scale.

I'd look at the M80M, Schecter SLS C-8, or a custom Agile (in that order)

Seriously, if the M808M has all the specs you want, just go for it. I've owned a couple of signature model guitars and if you tune out the fact that someone else got to decide the specs on it, they're just like any other guitar. The M80M should be even easier to forget that it's a sig model seeing as it has no indication of it being anyone else's spec other than someone in the Ibanez design room.