Thinking of getting a Halo custom guitar, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by kerleyben, Jun 15, 2014.

1. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

I've been looking around for a good place to get a custom 8 string from that won't force me to go into debt for years. I was looking around and I originally went to Mayones, since I had the pleasure of playing one a while ago and I love how they look but the pricing is way out of my budget. $4500+ for a stock standard bare bones 8 string? VERY steep but maybe. But add in ANY sort of customization? Not happening. I also went and looked at Carvin, but their options are somewhat lacking for what I wanted. What I was looking for is pretty specific, to their defense, but was also really simple so I was pretty disappoined. Carvin is in my price range, but for more options I started looking at Halo. They have a lot of good options and with their custom guitar builder I was able to replicate close to what I wanted for a reasonable price (close to $2000). However, I have heard some negative opinions about them and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them OR if anyone could help me locate another custom guitar company that would be better but also affordable.

2. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

How about a mayones setius? I don't know how much they cost where you live but I think they are pretty good value in the eu

3. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

That was the $4500+ one I was looking at

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

What kind of options are you looking for?

5. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Call Carvin, you will be suprised how willing they are to adapt to your wants and needs...

(800) 854-2235

6. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

Have you ever searched ss.org for halo guitars? Id venture to guess you havent as you are still considering them. While they claim to have turned the company around(dont know how many times I've heard that; although recently it was not another company employed troll ss it has been in the past, but dakken doing a review on youtube of a guitar they sent him), I would be very hesitant before doing business with them again.
    yea you read right... again. Unlike most of the people on here who without trying or even seeing one in person who comment blindly based on the atrocities detailed by other forum members about "instruments" they purchased*(a lot of these were unplayable), I actually own one. It isn't the worst guitar I have ever encountered. But also, its the only guitar I own that cannot be sold for a reasonable amount compared to what it costs new. Thats why I still own it. I feel lucky comparatively to others as at least mine is playable. I've owned it for almost 10 years now. The good: it plays. The bad: halo stock pups sucked, fret work was passable but not perfect, over coated the clear finish to the point it affects tone and playability and there are some black drips of finish in the natural finish areas. The ugly: dead notes, bad Floyd rose, input jack glued in so therefore impossible to replace and it needs to be replaced, the horrible soldering job and unfinished cavaties... oh and customer service. I supposidely have a life Time warranty on this shit. Which is insane... and apparantly untrue even though it was disclosed as such prior to purchasing. The issue comes into play with a gentlrman who remains nameless who made guarantees that could not be lived up to by halo. He never sent me the replacement nut/ floyd after our phone call... nor the input jack. He then promised me a free repair... never sent the fedex info. Fast forward. In a thread similar to this one the "new" owner of halo approaches me about my qualms and how he csn fix them; how the prior guy f'd everyone over by lying to customers about what was feasible/his position in the company (if the other guy was there the whole time I dont quite get his explanation). However, he states some conditions that mean i am no longer iinterested in his offer as it would have not been entirely free, without guarantees and to be honest, slightly suspicious. While im greatful for his offer... it was not enough way too late. I wil l not be doing buisness with them again. I also cannot recommend a company who blames a web forum for all of the bad press that they received when in reality it was subpar work sent to members that generated the bad reviews in the first place... and then failure to deliver solutions to their mistakes...at times it could be considered firewood instead of instruments.
    In short.. take your money elsewhere... carvin perhaps...

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

For $2K you should be able to get pretty much anything you want out of a Carvin other than fanned frets or a different scale length.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

Ran is another option.

9. celticelk

celticelk SS.org Regular

The missing context from Corrosion's post is that Halo has changed ownership since he got his guitar, and even without that change, ten years is plenty of time for a company to reform. That said, there's not a lot of reliable information about recent Halo production, in part *because* of that existing reputation, so you're still taking a chance. We could make better recommendations if we knew what specific feature(s) you're seeking.

ETA: on rereading, it's less "missing" and more "buried in huge text block," but I think the overall point stands.

10. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

Just don't bother with Halo or any other of the many, many luthiers that have the shoddy reputation they do. Just pay whatever the extra is for something a little more consistent. Work a few extra shifts, save lunch money, whatever it is you do and just get a product from a decent company with a well established reputation.

EDIT: I was going to rip on you for saying a Setius 8 cost $4500, then I checked the US price.. Damn.... Regius costs about £500 less than a custom 24 here.

11. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Please people. There is a difference between retail price and MAP and what you actually pay. It is significant. Talk to Nick @ AxePalace because no one pays $4500 for a Setius 8.

12. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

Well I have been looking around and I have to say, Yikes, there have definitely been some Halo horror stories on here. Well now the question really is where do I go? I'm just looking for a simplistic instrument that looks and sounds amazing, a little like the M80m except i have something against playing other people's signature models. You know, 1 pickup, swamp ash, 28" scale, black transparent satin finish. Carvin doesn't offer that sort of thing (surprisingly) without doing some back and forth phone calls. I suppose a better question would be what is the best sounding simplistic guitar I can get custom?

13. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

If you want something like the M80m I would just get it. That way you don't have to fuss with custom orders and hell you get a lundgren out of it!

I've heard good things about it and I would assume ibanez has a pretty good return policy and resale value.

14. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

I was looking for a very simplistic 8 string. 1 pickup, 28" scale, Swamp ash body and top with a black transparent satin finish. Yeah it sounds like the m80m but I just can't play signature models, I don't know why.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion RooR

Agile then.

16. kerleyben

kerleyben Active Member

The only problem I see with that is that I have an Agile hornet 8 and I'm not a big fan of it. Call me picky, but on mine there were some small finish and fretwork issues on arrival and also the low end doesn't sound too impressive

17. Tommy

Tommy Terribly Unlucky

You could do it with Carvin. With the DC800 I just ordered I almost went with a trans black on swamp ash. ChrisH also was telling me about how they just recently did a guitar the same way the m80m are done, an open grain black. Either way they both are Opt. 50 and you could also Opt. 50 a single pickup. You can't really get the 28" scale length but you can get most of your requests from Carvin. I don't see why it would have to be multiple phone calls either.

Just food for thought man.

18. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

Sounds like that's right up Ran Guitar's alley.

19. mcsalty

mcsalty Keepin' it Kodos

But you've got no issue with having someone build you what is essentially the exact same guitar minus the branding? :scratch: