Thinking of buying a RG321.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Char2000, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Char2000

Char2000 SS.org Regular

I'm a six string type of guy, anyone know anything about the 321? How's the pickups and the neck? I generally like Ibanez's guitars but no music store near me have any in stock :/ Anyway can you recommend any PUPS for them, I'm into a Periphery (Surprise on this forum!) and Tessarect like sound.

2. Azathoth43

Azathoth43 ל ו ו י י ת ן

I got one for my step son for christmas and played around on it for a bit. I was shocked at how nice it is. The neck is way better than I thought it would be, if you like thin necks. Of course the pickups are where these low priced Ibbys fail, and this one is no different.

3. Char2000

Char2000 SS.org Regular

Can you recommend any pick ups?

4. kamello

kamello DESU METARU!

ye old Petrucci Set?
    if you want to stay away from that trend, I had great results with the Duncan Distortion (seriously overlooked pickup here) and I heard amazing demos with the DiMarzio X2N, if you have the $$$, the BKP Painkiller sounds awesome on Mahoganny (I don't know if Misha uses it somewhere though, I know he is a fan of the Coldsweat, Aftermath, and Black Hawk pups)

but as we always say here, fucking d*ent is in the technique, I made a Goldtop with Alnico ll soapbars djent through my POD (gonna try to record a Demo of that soon :lol: )

the RG 321 is an awesome bang for the buck, im seriously considering to buy it, tune it to Drop Fu# and make it the ultimate chugging machine

5. gamber

gamber SS.org Regular

id say sd blackouts some of the best actives ive ever used, as a matter of fact the only actives i like

6. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

I have an RG321MH in Weathered Black. It's a very thin finish, not very durable, but it keeps the natural tone of the mahogany. It still has the factory pickups; I never liked the INFs, I always thought that these are way too harsh, but I only had them in basswood. In mahogany, they sound a bit muddy at high volume, but they have plenty of attack and clarity at low volume. I think that if you're recording with an amp simulator, a Pod or something like that, you could actually like it; for gigging, you'd probably want to replace them anyway.

As for the guitar itself: it's a cheap, Indo-made Ibby. (Earlier 321s like mine were made in Korea, but the majority is MII.) Simple as a Tele, so it's easy to like it. The neck is flat, thin, typical Ibanez neck, if you've ever seen a guitar with a Wizard II neck, you'll be familiar with it. Don't forget that it's one of the cheapest RGs ever produced, but it's still decent, it can be useful as a workhorse guitar. It keeps tuning pretty well without any locking tuners or replaced nut. Attack and sustain are just awesome.

Here is mine:

[​IMG]

More pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n48ccvljjcfhe2d/9-Be6STHjQ

I bought it 2-3 months ago. Before that, I was desperate to find a Jackson DKMGT/DXMGT, but these are hard to get in Europe, so I bought this Ibby instead. Then our fellow ss.org member Corpsegrinder88 was nice enough to sell me a DKMGT, so the RG321 has to go now. I still like it, it's a great player for the price.

7. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

I also have one. No experience with the stock pickups as the pickups were swapped to EMG's before I got it but it's a solid backup guitar. I've owned many Ibanez guitars but the only regular one I keep has a super wizard prestige neck so the neck on the RG321 is chunkier and a bit rounder feeling. It's pretty comfy by normal standards, but personally I prefer the super slim prestige necks.

I'm selling my RG321 too but only because I have 2 higher spec 6's that I prefer. Other than that it's a solid guitar and I'd be happy to keep it but I just can't justify owning it (and I don't like EMG's!)

One issue though - the pickup rings and bridge tarnish very easily. For one to have hardware that hasn't been oxidised it probably hasn't been played much at all! Case in point...
    [​IMG]

8. Char2000

Char2000 SS.org Regular

What's your selling price? Keep in mind I'm in the US so shipping may cost an arm for me.

9. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

It is up in the for sale section here but honestly with the price of shipping it wouldn't be worth your while. Have a look at US ebay. A couple up there for $200-$250 buy it now depending on what colour you want. It's also easier to do a straight passive-passive swap if you don't want any actives.

10. Char2000

Char2000 SS.org Regular

I also have no Idea how to replace pickups, I take it to a luthier for that? How long does that take?

11. TimTomTum

TimTomTum SS.org Regular

Get one, got mine and a Duncan Distortion for about 200€ and tonewise it's cool, still have kinda high action, but that's something a will just change. The neck is much ballsier than my RGA312's neck, but hey thats what you pay to get a 1300€ Prestige.
    Check out the vid: