Thinking C Pigs, Illuminators, or Ionizers...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by FILTHnFEAR, Nov 28, 2017.

1. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

...for big chords under hi gain(though not excessive gain), cleans with fx, and mid gain tones.

Not playing tech death or djient so I don't need anything ultra tight but don't want anything flubby or muddy either. Thinking chunky with lots of clarity.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm leaning C Pig, as I've wanted to try them forever, just not sure how well they'll do cleans and the mid gain I'm after. The others I mention because they seem to be popular for clarity and chords.

For reference these will be going in my 1527 and played through my H&K which I would describe as having a hi gain channel that is pretty bright, with a sizzley hi end(think Dual Rec)and chimey, almost Hi-Fi cleans.

Let me know what you think, thanks.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Chunky with clarity is the C-Pig in a nutshell, especially though a fairly bright amp :metal:

I have a C-Pig bridge and VH-II neck in my DC7X and it covers any kind of sound I need with a 5-way switch. I've never used the matching Warpig neck, so I can't comment on how it will do mid gain or cleans.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

c-pig kinda blows for extended chords ime. It's a darker sounding pickup and that tends not to play well with extended chords using the 7th string ime. Also depending on your guitar the c-pig has a fuckton of low end and a surprising amount of high end. In my 8 string it was simultaneously darker on the low end and too bright on the high end. I'd say look into the a-pig instead, it balances the high end out better, plus it's not as tight as the c-pig. Worst case you could do a mag swap to a ceramic mag if you don't like the a-pig (or sell it and buy the c-pig if you'd rather not do a mag swap) :shrug:
    Cleans are fine but they're not sparkly/chimey cleans if that's what you're looking for. They can definitely do mid-gain stuff but I think the illuminators would be a more versatile choice.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The Ionizer is a strange beast as it is mid output and it fills up frequency wise if it gets close to the strings. I had mine closer than any other pickup I ever had and still I found it lacking in power. Super clean and great clarity, it seemed to have crunch but it just felt too thin and shrilly. The bass response was so tight it was inexistent.