Thinking about using trouble free (safe) guitar rig

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Played a gig last night where suddenly my huge high gain 6505 lead tone became pretty much a clean tone mid song. What the hell happened?! I have no clue, ccords? Pedals? Ended up just cranking the gain to 6 . Normally i like it on 2 and think thats plenty for a good live tone. Spent the rest of the set worrying and being pissed off. Id like to avoid this in the future. Made me think maybe i need to stop using my beloved pedalboard. Ive tried focusing on getting my perfect tone with od , noise suppressors
    , eq , plus reverb , phitchshifter, looper.. fullstack. Starting to think i should just get an axefx and a powered p.a.
    I could do everything i did before with 2 cords right? Can anyone suggest other ideas for a "safe" rig? I would just use my tightmetal pro into powered p.a. but i was fx ... im on my annoying messed up phone. Sorry for the typing.
    Frustrated tech metal guy.

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Are you looking to replace your current rig? I'm guessing the problem at the gig was your amp and not the pedalboard, correct?

You have a lot of options and it all depends on what you're looking for. Are you wanting to ditch your pedalboard or keep it? Are you wanting to downsize your rig or are you more interested in a safety net?

#1 get a backup head in case your peavey goes down (inexpensive or used solid state head or maybe even a cheap tube head).
    #2 get an AxeFx and a powered speaker/solid state combo amp/power amp. This will give you a more 'reliable' rig and will allow you to shape your 'perfect tone' without a bunch of pedals etc. If you can, wait for the new AxeFx AX8 (which is AxeFx in a pedalboard form).
    #3 Kemper Profiler. If you get this (especially the one with the poweramp) you can profile your current amp and still use your pedalboard etc. This way you can either replace your Peavey or have both the Kemper and Peavey (and choose which is your main and which will be the backup).
    #4 depending on your tone requirements, you could get a powered pa or use a solidstate head or combo and use your tightmetal pro as the preamp.
    #5 depending on the type of gigs you play, you could grab a use Line 6 POD XT or HD (or alternative) and use it to go direct to the house PA if your Peavey rig goes down again. Of course you would need to discuss with the sound guy that you have the pedal to go direct out if there is an issue with your tube rig so that he/she can set that up before your show.

Again, this all depends on the direction you want to go. How much of your current rig are you wanting to maintain/keep, is the big question here. Are you looking for a safety net to this tube/pedal/analog rig or are you wanting a new rig that is less likely to go down?

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I would just grab a solid-state backup head

4. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Im thinking it might have been a patch cord. Im thinking about buying only high end cords and down sizing my pedal board to the bare essentials, tuner. OD. Noise suppressor. 6505. And looper in the fx loop. As much as i absolutely love my supernatural reverb and phitchshifter i only use them for a moment or 2 throughout our set. And can probably deal with the bit of amp hiss from not running a second noise suppressor in the fx loop. And i just realized as a safety net i have my home rig i could bring to gigs which consist of an OD. TightmetalPro.Eq into magnum44 power amp. Any other suggestions are welcome. Think i will keep my current setup with my full pedalboard and reverbs and stuff. Having my little safety net rig with me is my answer i think. Im feeling better about this already. Funny this is, is that ive been planning on further complicating my rig by running through my 6505 & 4x12 simultaneously with my dual rec & 4x12 :-D

5. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Get a good MultiFX pedal, and run the 4 cable method, or go all digital. Either way, problams can still arise, as nothing is fail proof. If the pre amp on the 6505 fails, you can run direct into the FX return and have patches set up for that in advance. If the power section fainls, you can go direct to mixing board or monitors.

All this is the constant hassle of gigging and trying to keep "your tone" intact.