Thinking about purchasing ESP E-II M-II NT

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by makesexnotwar, Apr 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. makesexnotwar

makesexnotwar SS.org Regular

Hi guys! Time has come and I began to think about new guitar purchase. ESP E-II M-II NT in natural black fade caught my eye while browsing ESP site. Unfortunately I'm living in a place where I can't try this guitar in person so here are few questions about it
    1. How does ESP thin-U neck compares to Edwards Horizon E-HT-145-III? I own Edwards couple of years and neck feels fine but not perfect. Unfortunately I can't find info on Edwards neck profile. Actually I played ESP only once in my life about 6 years ago and neck felt good.
    2. Are there any owners of ESP E-II M-II NT? What do you think about this guitar?

2. Fierce_Swe

Fierce_Swe SS.org Regular

Very sexy guitar. Quite expensive though. It should have SS frets due to its cost...

oremus91 likes this.
  3. makesexnotwar

makesexnotwar SS.org Regular

Pictures on ESP site are pure sex, but it's promo pics. Interesting how it compares to real life pics

4. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

thin U is a very nice neck profile

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If the ESP you played was an E-II it would likely have the same or very similar neck to what this EII MII would have. If not, then the neck shape will likely be different.

I haven't played an Edwards so unfortunately I can't help there.

In response to the previous poster, not having SS frets at this price range (given its other features) is absolutely fine. Most guitars in this price range made in Japan or USA (what we often call 'non-import' models) don't have SS frets, and if they do (some Ibanez models), they have far more basic finishes/colors and or don't have the quality fretwork you would find on an E-II.

Yes, that model is hot. I haven't seen any pics of it in real life but I've seen a few of the new E-II's and LTD's in the new 2019 colors/finishes and they look really good.

6. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

I ordered one myself but got the black turquoise version. Can't tell you about it yet though since stores are still waiting to get them and production got delayed until next month.

7. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Buy it you won't regert it. ESP and Edwards make great guitars.

8. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I agree, if it's unpainted. I had an E-II SV and the neck was painted and I absolutely hated it.

9. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

I did a quick search, and even on the Edwards site, there is no reference to neck width or shape/style in the specs, and I can't seem to find a more detailed PDF specsheet, so hard to say if the feel will be the same. The thin U is a very comfortable neck profile, which is much rounder than say Jackson for instance, and imo more comfortable because of it. If you like thin and round profiles, I think you'll also like this. I bring this up a lot, but the old RL-600 I had years ago is the gold standard for how a neck should feel to me, which also had a thin U shape.

As for general quality, I'm a fanboy so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but ESP is one of the most consistently good brands out there it seems at most price points. Their Japanese line is very high quality and I think most people on this board will agree, so long as you like the specs/style, that this will be an exceptional instrument. That being said, I agree with the other posters that at this price point a lot of ESP's competition has stainless steel frets, and I'm disappointed that they haven't jumped on board, but I don't think this is a dealbreaker necessarily. I've also noticed that the tops on the "black turquoise" models that I've seen from actual sellers are not nearly as figured as the stock photos you'd see on the site, so I'm wondering how the burls will turn out on these new models.

10. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Owned one a few years ago, one of the best guitars I've ever touched.
    THE best factory fretwork I've come across, except maybe EBMM.

Just a really high quality machine, and it's beautiful.

11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I've played one. ESP necks are quite curvy. Not as thin or flat as you expect them to be. Their description of "thin U" is not very accurate.

The gripe with that guitar, IMO, is the volume knob placement. Absolutely horrible. My picking hand bumped into it constantly.

12. possumkiller

I have never seen an ESP with an unpainted neck.

13. MatiasTolkki

I played an ESP M-II (not E-II) at big boss some time ago that was unpainted. Felt really good.

14. possumkiller

I have played a couple of Jacksons with unpainted necks. I still prefer a satin smooth painted neck over unpainted. Even if it is just painted clear satin. The unpainted neck felt too rough and resistant to movement for me.

15. MatiasTolkki

the neck i played on was satin finished. I think maybe you misunderstood what i meant by unpainted: Neck that is painted (usually black for ESP) with a gloss finish over it. Unpainted=satin/tung oil.

16. possumkiller

Ahh ok. Yeah a natural satin neck is still painted just with clear instead of a color. Unpainted is like the raw EVH style or oiled Jackson style necks with no paint on them.

17. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Agreed that a satin finish is much nicer, I was only commenting on the shape (which is one of the better ones available)

18. possumkiller

It's pretty easy to knock the gloss off a neck with some painter's tape and a brillo pad.