Thinking about migration...

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While that is definitely true to an extent at the state level, its still better than Russian laws so it would still be an improvement for the OP. And even then, most of the laws aren’t bad; it’s just a few like the abortion trigger law.

Plus, the cities often go against the state laws (Houston and Austin won’t prosecute for possession of a “personal use” amount of weed, as one example).

Honestly, I don't see how a Russian tech geek would run into problems with Texas law... now San Fran, on the other hand, EASY.

Not criminal, probably, but civil liability easily. I've heard about a lot of cases of ex-Soviet geeks running into job problems or threatened with lawsuits because they say something overly old-fashioned or conservative at work and get accused of discrimination/sexism/whatever in workplaces that pride themselves on being extremely progressive.

I don't think I've ever met a Russian who was prepared to immediately adapt to San Francisco "fresh off the boat". Too much culture shock, bound to offend and perhaps more importantly BE OFFENDED (nobody tends to notice that part, but it is quite stressful).

Yeah, the abortion law thing is odd and there's maybe a bit much Christianity going on in the rural parts, but that makes Texas basically a richer version of Poland.

Certainly less shocking for the unprepared than the bastions of progressiveness. Nudist joggers, drug use in the streets, homeless everywhere, parking costs more than food, wingnut politics...too much.

Stick to the regions that grill steaks and drink beer. You'll feel far more comfortable there.

Last edited:

makesexnotwar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gov't contracting doesn't pay quite as high as the private sector stuff, but it's recession-proof.
From IT perspective working on government contracts usually means working with old tech stacks and a lot of legacy that no one wants to deals with. And these projects are usually quite boring

He's from Russia

Texas he can comprehend. San Fran will drive him and his family insane.

Also, urban Texas actually leans slightly blue (for OP: Democratic Party, pseudo-liberal)

Big trucks, big yards, big BBQs are a lot more *comprehensible America* (and remarkably close to the bourgeois "Russian dream") vs. the pot-smoking pronoun vegans in priuses of San Fran
Totally makes sense from socialization perspective but still it's hard to say till I get there. Btw, just curious how do you imagine bourgeois "Russian dream"? )

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Totally makes sense from socialization perspective but still it's hard to say till I get there. Btw, just curious how do you imagine bourgeois "Russian dream"? )

Bourgeois Russian dream?

Brick house 250-350 m2, ~20 sotki yard, several SUVs in garage, sashlyki ~= BBQ, pool, warm climate year round, <1 hour drive from beach, 1 hour away from urban downtown ***BUT NOT CLOSE ENOUGH THAT CITY GOPNIKI EVER WANDER INTO YOUR NICE AREA***

Forests and/or river or sea nearby if you're into camping, boating, hunting, or fishing.

Preferably no association or pesky zoning rules from the city to keep you from building a banya behind your house.

And all that without any cops or government officials hassling you, a safe neighborhood, and not needing to be in organized crime or kleptocrat government to maintain that lifestyle.

Also critically important: to not feel like a poor penniless loser in comparison to the people around you (= practically impossible in Silicon Valley)

Last edited:

makesexnotwar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bourgeois Russian dream?

Brick house 250-350 m2, ~20 sotki yard, several SUVs in garage, sashlyki ~= BBQ, pool, warm climate year round, <1 hour drive from beach, 1 hour away from urban downtown ***BUT NOT CLOSE ENOUGH THAT CITY GOPNIKI EVER WANDER INTO YOUR NICE AREA***

Forests and/or river or sea nearby if you're into camping, boating, hunting, or fishing.

Preferably no association or pesky zoning rules from the city to keep you from building a banya behind your house.

And all that without any cops or government officials hassling you, a safe neighborhood, and not needing to be in organized crime or kleptocrat government to maintain that lifestyle.

Also critically important: to not feel like a poor penniless loser in comparison to the people around you (= practically impossible in Silicon Valley)
Well...we can replace banya with sauna near pool, trade couple SUVs for location closer to the beach and that's it! ) But still personal home studio is missing from the list.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bourgeois Russian dream?

Houston offers all of this, but the rivers here tend to be warm and muddy (and have alligators). For cool, clean rivers and rafting you’ll want to drive to Austin/New Braunfels/hill country area.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well...we can replace banya with sauna near pool, trade couple SUVs for location closer to the beach and that's it! ) But still personal home studio is missing from the list.

Which is why Texas w/ $1 - 1.5k /m2 home prices good, San Fran with $10k/m2 home prices bad.

Because your home studio in San Fran is going to cost more than your entire large family house in Houston suburbs.

Believe me, I researched this very question recently. If not for frikkin Putin messing everything up (47% of my business last year was Ukraine and 40% was Russia) and making the future uncertain, I would have already moved there myself.

Here's San Fran vs. Houston area, random houses (10 sq ft ~= 1m2):

Screenshot_20220517-105710_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220517-105613_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From IT perspective working on government contracts usually means working with old tech stacks and a lot of legacy that no one wants to deals with. And these projects are usually quite boring
They can be both of those things - my current one is modernization, but the O&M part is a tad frustrating. However, you also don't have to worry about the income stream, and H1B-sponsoring companies are common.

makesexnotwar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which is why Texas w/ $1 - 1.5k /m2 home prices good, San Fran with $10k/m2 home prices bad.

Because your home studio in San Fran is going to cost more than your entire large family house in Houston suburbs.

Believe me, I researched this very question recently. If not for frikkin Putin messing everything up (47% of my business last year was Ukraine and 40% was Russia) and making the future uncertain, I would have already moved there myself.

Here's San Fran vs. Houston area, random houses (10 sq ft ~= 1m2):

View attachment 107830 View attachment 107831
Putin messed up my freelancing as well. Now I'm struggling with getting my money from EU since February. And now it's not even sanctions/SWIFT-related issues but EU banks manually checking all payments to Russia and randomly block them without a reason. Me and my employer decided to wait for better news and thought it would be short term issues but seems like it's not and now we are trying various ways to transfer money. Luckily I have some savings to live on. What business are you running?

H1B-sponsoring companies are common
that's a good point actually. But still even if I find something interesting I'd search for something in private sector once I have a chance to do it.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Putin messed up my freelancing as well... What business are you running?

Clinical trials paperwork translation services. Ukrainian, Russian (Russia, Belarus), Bulgarian... Lucky me, 40% of my business is in the process of being sanctioned into the stone age and eagerly trying to bomb the main 47% of my business.

Last edited:

oracles

Australian in Canada
Reaction score
Wouldnt rent in Vancouver start around 3k/mo for a family of 4 to live comfortably?

It really depends on where in Vancouver you are. Downtown, Kits, Fairview, Olympic Village etc will all be at or above that point, but its doable. If you were to push further out on the skytrain line into Burnaby and surrounds, the starting point is closer to $2300-$2500, and even less if you go towards Coquitlam etc

makesexnotwar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Clinical trials paperwork translation services. Ukrainian, Russian (Russia, Belarus), Bulgarian... Lucky me, 40% of my business is in the process of being sanctioned into the stone age and eagerly trying to bomb the main 47% of my business.
47% will stabilize at some point but the other part will remain in stone age for quite a while.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It really depends on where in Vancouver you are. Downtown, Kits, Fairview, Olympic Village etc will all be at or above that point, but its doable. If you were to push further out on the skytrain line into Burnaby and surrounds, the starting point is closer to $2300-$2500, and even less if you go towards Coquitlam etc
And you will live in a 500-525 sq ft shoebox for that $2300 ha

I don't miss Mordor, i mean Vancouver

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
47% will stabilize at some point but the other part will remain in stone age for quite a while.

Most likely

Still, it's very unpredictable because these things take a while to start up...and sometimes years to wind down.

Much of the stuff I'm doing is a backlog of 2021 regulatory paperwork, although with occasional post-February 2022 documents out of both Ukraine and Russia. Hard to tell what happens when the backlog runs out... No expensive mortgages for me anytime soon.

Even if Ukraine wins and the Russian regime gets overthrown, whether or not the next wave of projects ever starts anytime soon is anybody's guess. Displaced persons, destroyed healthcare infrastructure, and a general sense of better things to do than trial meds COULD delay things in Ukraine (although also MIGHT liven things up as institutions seek outside revenue streams)...and even in a freed Russia, who knows when new business returns, if ever?

Oh well... maybe Ukrainian EU membership prospects will create new paper pusher work. Although annoyingly enough, most of it probably won't be through existing business relationships.

Anyway, damn Putin for screwing with people's lives and livelihoods. Why couldn't that bastard just live like a retired rapper, Berdymukhamedov-style???

Millul

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Most likely

Still, it's very unpredictable because these things take a while to start up...and sometimes years to wind down.

Much of the stuff I'm doing is a backlog of 2021 regulatory paperwork, although with occasional post-February 2022 documents out of both Ukraine and Russia. Hard to tell what happens when the backlog runs out... No expensive mortgages for me anytime soon.

Even if Ukraine wins and the Russian regime gets overthrown, whether or not the next wave of projects ever starts anytime soon is anybody's guess. Displaced persons, destroyed healthcare infrastructure, and a general sense of better things to do than trial meds COULD delay things in Ukraine (although also MIGHT liven things up as institutions seek outside revenue streams)...and even in a freed Russia, who knows when new business returns, if ever?

Oh well... maybe Ukrainian EU membership prospects will create new paper pusher work. Although annoyingly enough, most of it probably won't be through existing business relationships.

Anyway, damn Putin for screwing with people's lives and livelihoods. Why couldn't that bastard just live like a retired rapper, Berdymukhamedov-style???

I could suggest branching out to support for EAEU/CIS countries serialization roll-outs. That's hell, and an uncomprehensible mess for people without the cultural background.
I am lucky enough, a guy from my team is Kazakh :lol: