Thinking about converting my rig into a Kemper or Axe Fx

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by klinic, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

This is more or less true. :cool:

If you can hear it and feel it, you can detect it. :cool: Your guitar signal is going through the Eleven Racks A/D converters, preamp circuitry, and D/A converters twice before you actually hear any sound from your amp. That will have an impact on the tone. :coffee:

2. klinic

klinic SS.org Regular

Im just wary of becoming one of those audiophiles that swears they can hear a difference in cables. The placebo effect if a powerful thing!

Yes I am studying music! Nearing the end of my bachelors degree and considering pursuing a masters.

I do truly love my Fathead I think I will regret selling it, so I won't.

What are my best options for a multi effects unit in the 4cm? I don't need any drive, delays are handled by the timeline (although I could potentially sell that) I just need versatile modulation (pink Floyd to van halen to Dream theater) and oodles of eq options, compressors and noise gates. A floorboard with midi out would be super cool (my fathead is midi controllable!) but I worry about spilling something on the board or just stomping on it and breaking it and suddenly losing all my effects. A rack unit would be pretty cool in that regard. Amp simulation (in leu of the axe-fx) would be pretty cool, but I think I'd rather go with a preamp pedal than go with something that will drag down my fathead in quality like a POD.

I feel like a g-system ticks all those boxes (can even have the 'brain') rackmounted!) but it's expensive and actually kind of hard to find here.

3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Line 6 M9?

4. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

If it makes you feel any better, I sold most of my tube gear because my modeling gear obsoleted it; I do run a power amp + cab config so the transition was not big, though. So, I guess the moral is experiences vary. Like I said earlier though, I would be wary of getting rid of something you truly love and have no complaints with (other than weight ;) ).

5. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

If you get a Kemper which is my recommendation, find a way to profile your amp before letting it go. It will be difficult but do it. If you have a unique amp and cab that you dial in and have your "perfect" sound, youll regret spending a bunch of time searching for it in the kemper using other peoples profiles when you could have gotten it directly from your old rig. Borrow/rent a kemper and profile, then sell the amp, then buy the kemper or something like that. Read up on getting successful profiling sessions before even getting the kemper so you can profile your rig before your window closes.

6. thraxil

thraxil cylon

How much of a hurry are you in? I think you're right that you'd regret selling the Fathead. An amp that you truly love is rare and worth holding onto, especially if it's not something like a 6505 or a Dual Rec that you could easily re-buy later.

By the time you've bought decent quality modulation, EQ, compressor, and noise gate pedals or rack units, you'll have spent a good chunk of what it would cost to just get an Axe-Fx. If you can possibly wait, I think that's your best bet. Save up for a few more months and just get an Axe-Fx to run in 4cm. Maybe sell the Strymon to speed that up a bit. Once you have it you may decide that you don't need the Fathead anymore and can sell it, but there's no guarantee of that.

7. klinic

klinic SS.org Regular

Kemper or axe-fx just aren't on the cards without selling my amp. I think a kemper wouldn't satisfy my effects needs and an axefx is about $4000 here. I definitely think I could get the eq, modulation and compressor for under a thousand.

Maybe an original axe-fx will pop up, I think that would be ideal. I definitely want presets so I can tap one button and change channels and select the effects I want without having to tapdance.

I don't think the line 6 unit will fulfil my needs. It's about the cost of a used g system and can only do three effects at once. I will definitely need at least modulation eq and compression on at the same time Which I guess that covers. But a little more flexibility would make me feel a lot better. I've also never been impressed with the quality of line 6s products.