Think my guitar was wired wrong by tech...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by PunkBillCarson, Jun 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

...and the reason I say this is because while the black, green, and silver wires are all where they should be, the white and red are not. My Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas, which has a volume/coil-split, had the red and white wires going to another white wire from the guitar and it seems like the luthier just taped those two off instead of wiring them the way that the former set was. I'm running Black Winters now, and it was JB/59 and to me, the sound is just off. It sounds twangy as all hell, almost like I'm in coil-split mode. I don't know if it's wired wrong or the Elixirs he put on are so damn bright that it's metallic sounding or what, but it seems that I should be getting much more output with the Black Winters than I am, because with a Boss SD-1 going into the lead channel of my 6505+, the gain at 3.5 should be PLENTY. Instead, it doesn't even sound saturated, so... what in the hell is going on from my description?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

1. don't pay people to do something you should be able to do on your own
    2. see #1
    3. No seriously, look up duncan's wiring diagrams or dimarzios for whatever configuration you want and do it yourself. It's easy.
    basically,
    GREEN = start of adjustable/south coil (almost always goes to ground)
    RED = finish of adjustable/south coil
    BLACK = start of stud/north coil (hot output, almost always goes to switch)
    WHITE = finish of stud/north coil (generally taped up with red if pickup is being run in series, or both are attached to switch for coil splitting)
    Silver/Bare= Ground wire. Always.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 2:40 PM
  3. PunkBillCarson

Mine's a push/pull so, I don't see the switch it would go to. So far, it seems the black/green/gray wires are in place, but the red/white are taped together, which makes no sense, because this is a coil split config and I even told the guy that. I guess if it comes down to it, I don't have much to do. Like I said, the previous pickups were taped together with a white wire from the guitar. Not sure what that's from.

4. KnightBrolaire

Trace the rogue white wire and see where it goes. as far as finding a push pull diagram, check duncan's site. it should be pretty similar with red and white wires both connecting to the lower lugs of the terminal.

5. PunkBillCarson

Okay so looking at it again, it's not a white wire that the yellow and red are wrapped up with, it's one yellow and one black and both lead back to the push/pull switch. Why it's not just from the lugs, I don't know. All I know is that there's this snappiness that didn't seem to be there before. I'm kind of wondering if it has something to do with the fact that on locking tuners, he wrapped it around twice and then locked them in, which he shouldn't have done, or if it has something to do with the Elixir Nanowebs. From what I understand, there's complaints about them being TOO bright.

6. KnightBrolaire

take a pic of the control cavity so I can see what he did.

7. PunkBillCarson

What site do I use to post pics?

8. PunkBillCarson

9. KnightBrolaire

Double check that the black and yellow wires go to the middle lugs on the push pull. Also check underneath the electrical tape where the blk/yellow wires connect with their respective red/yellow wires. Make sure they're twisted together or soldered together securely.
    [​IMG]

10. PunkBillCarson

So everything else is soldered correctly then? Could that be the source of output loss and or seeming like there's a bit of a single coil sound?

11. KnightBrolaire

I can't tell from the pics, you should be able to verify it against the diagram i posted unless you have a. 5 way blade switch, which would change some things. Did you check the connections of the red/wht wires to the black and yllw wires?
    is the output loss and twanginess still there when you use the push pull coil split?

12. PunkBillCarson

It's MORE noticeable when I'm coil-splitting. I haven't check the connections yet, but I will later on tonight. Now that I know what to look for, it shouldn't be a problem. I do appreciate the help man, thank you very much!

13. PunkBillCarson

Okay, they're both middle lugs, so that checks out. All the soldering connections are right, it seems, and under the tape is good. I think it could very well be a case of the Elixirs being too bright. It happens at the initial attack of the string and it's most noticeable with tremolo picking. Elixir Nanowebs is what was on there.

14. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Is it noticeable only when both pickups are selected? If so, they are likely out of phase with one another.

15. PunkBillCarson

It's mostly noticeable with the bridge. The neck a little less so.

16. PunkBillCarson

Okay so I put some DR strings on and that's definitely a step in the right direction. The guitar doesn't sound muffled anymore and seems to have the appropriate amount of output for these pickups (holy fucking shit, Black Winters in an Ash guitar are the shit). There is still fret buzz all over the board. Now I took it to a luthier and he set the action quite low. Below a .mm and it seems that the neck is a bit TOO straight. Only thing is, I've never adjusted a spoke wheel truss rod and so I don't know which direction does what. It seems that the DR Tite Fits aren't touching the board AS much, so I'm thinking this is a bad case of fret buzz coming through the amp. When I pick lightly, the sound is not NEARLY as apparent, but my question is: Why would one set a strings seem to subdue the output like the Elixirs did and bring it where it needs to be when I put on the DR's?

17. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Can you post a link to the sound you're expecting to get from the pickups? There's no way those strings completely ruined their properties lol

18. PunkBillCarson

I mean, for the most part I'm getting it already, except for a little string buzz here and there. I'm not sure if the Elixirs were just way too bright or what, but it felt like I was getting more pick attack than actual tone and now that I switched to the DR's that doesn't seem to be the case.

19. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive used nothing but elixir nano webs for the past few years. Ive never experienced this twanginess you describe. Not sure if its the strings but my guitars typically sound pretty dark/smooth. Just my .02

20. StrmRidr

StrmRidr Hide your Jacksons

+1. I've used nothing but Elixirs for the last 15 years. I'm running a Black Winter in my Alexi-600 with Elixirs and it is absolutely the furthest thing from twangy.

Gmork likes this.