Thick Organic Mid Output Flat EQ 8-String PUs? (passive and active)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Gmork, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I'd like some 8 string pickups that are mid output and have a flat eq as I believe those things will help produce a thick organic tone rather than using something with boosted lows/highs. Id rather my amp settings determine the outcome.

Best active options? Best passive options?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    c7spheres likes this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

Lace...? Go custom? 1M pots (for passive pus only)? Alnico loaded versus ceramic...?

3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Hey pal IM the one asking the questions lol

odibrom likes this.
  4. FancyFish

FancyFish SS.org Regular

Going purely off the web page, but how bout the Dimarzio Eclipse?

5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ill check it out!

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Lace are perfectly designed to be as hifi and clear as what fishmans seem but also to be completely transparent so you really get the guitar tone and the amp as THE things that determine sound rather than the pickups bringing their own sound to the table that you are stuck with.
    So i vote them too

P.s dont try the deathbar - its dreadful. Instead do dual X bars

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive wanted to try lace PUs for years.. How do the x and death compare? What dont you like about the deathbar, why didnt it work for you?

What kinda music you play?

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

>flat eq
    >thick tone
    pick one because you won't ever get both ime.

in terms of flat EQ, there's really only like 2 ERG options aiming for that goal : Xbars and the stuff that cycfi is making.

efiltsohg likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Xbars are much more pleasant and have a lower output (still enough). I play modern metal/djent/metalcore.
    Deathbars had a particular fuzz/fizz type frequency (sort of lo midish) that you couldnt really get rid of. Xbars also split amazingly. Best piano like clean tones ive ever had.

Also, dual xbars seem way more balanced together. They just fit so well as a pairing. Deathbar was always too much its own thing in bridge. Ended up only using that 8 string for its neck pickup..solos and cleans because of the deathbar.

BigViolin and Masoo2 like this.
  10. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Maybe something PAF ish output 8s? They sound a bit thick but nothing much really stands out in the eq.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    efiltsohg likes this.
  11. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

you would probably dig the x-bars. The deathbar is on the brighter side like mentioned before. You may also like the guitarmory foxbat set. They are fairly well balanced and pretty clear sounding pickups. Split the foxbats are amazingly usable/musical. The x-bar split is noiseless and sounds pretty good too. The x-bars are going to have a hi-fi sound as mentioned before. If you want a more traditional pickup feel then then foxbats may be more what you are after. Both are great sets/pickups but are going to sound different even though they are fairly well balanced pickups.

lewis likes this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Just lower EMG's down into the cavity as low as they will go. Direct mount if possible. Contrary to what people think (probably from lack of actually confirming for themselves) they clean up quite a bit, get more articulate and flatten out noticacbly (especially in the low end) when slammed into the cavity. I'm a big guage, high action player and slam my 707's into the cavity and they do exactly this in my guitar. It's like the opposite of what logic and people say but it's true. Try doing this and play something like an open D chord with heavy distortion arpeggio picked. you will notice a huge difference in clarity. Try doing some low chug power chords. They will lose the woofy muddyness yet stlil clearly reproduce the low end. They flatten out yet still don't lose much gain at all. I just really think nobody tried this to actually see so it's a nice surprise for people that just try it instead of argue about it. It only takes a few minuets to try it out.

lewis likes this.
  13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im going to try this with my 7 string and i also will be getting the RPC knob in that to activate single coil like tones when required, and use it as a tightener on high gain sounds when tuned lower - or riff specific sections.

c7spheres likes this.
  14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Cool, Let us know your experience with it. I measured my bridge pickup distance and from the top of the pickup to bottom of low string it is about 5/16" on the bridge side of the pickup and about 1/4" on the neck side of the bridge pickup from top of pickup to bottom of 7th string. If I raise it even a 1/16th of an inch I can hear the woofy low end start to come back little by little as I rasie it higher. I can noticably tell the difference in how tight/loose the pickup is by controlling it. This allows me to dial in the bass on my preamp better too. If I add more bass on my preamp after making it tight by lowering the pickup it doesn't get all muddy but adds a fullness/openness, and I'm using a Mesa preamp too. Between dialing these in you can get the feel vs sound right where it's wanted easier depending on which charcters you want to stand out more.

lewis likes this.
  15. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

What about the BK Impulse? It's big selling point is its flat response.

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

those don't come in 8 string versions

17. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

You won't have much luck finding an active pickup with medium output, thick tone and flat eq.
    For me the EMG 808 has an almost flat EQ , but is not mid output and is fairly compressed. For a more organic tone switch to 18v or to 808x.

c7spheres likes this.
  18. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

the 707 and 808s always felt a little flubby in the bass. I was never quite happy with them, but I never tried the 18v volt mod on them. I have tired it on 6 string emgs and wasn't overly impressed with the difference. It could be more pronounced with the lower end though. It is worth a shot if you already have them installed.

19. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Its for my fanned ibby 8string. I got it used with blackouts installed which are cool but i think they might be microphonic?!? Theres some Seriously weird feedback issues so figured id throw some new PUs in..
    Decided to get dual lace x-bars as ive always wanted to try em..
    What kind of push pull pot should i get fit splittng em?

lewis likes this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I dont think you will be disappointed - fingers crossed.

Get a thread up when you have them in :) love to see them in the guitar and how it sounds.

Gmork likes this.