Thick modern metal humbucker for a Strat

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zhysick, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Those 110€ plus shipping plus custom taxes will go easily up to 150€ so not into what's reasonable at the end, even more, I could get it new cheaper from a shop in Germany or mainland Spain than for that price second hand... It's a shit living here.

If I find the Breeds too soft or bass heavy I know I will change the magnet for ceramic for that tighter and faster bass response but the breed I got was just too well priced to let it go considering how bad things can get in this tiny little place.

Thanks guys and gals!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

You just described the BKP Juggernauts. They excel in bright guitars and are really versatile.

If you end up buying BKPs new, forget about the stores you mentioned. Order them through Fred from Guitar-Hiro. Just use BKP site to configure your options (covers, and stuff) and send him an email with all the details asking for a quote.

Zhysick likes this.
  3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

^he knows for sure the Juggernauts, his favourite modern pups, in fact he recommended them to me and I couldn't be happier with that set, I'm going for my second pair and now for 8 strings. Anyway, I think the Breeds idea is neat, good luck, mate!

Zhysick likes this.
  4. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, I love the Juggernauts but the slight wha sound in the upper mids is something I don't want for this guitar (even if so love that sound... But I think I would better pair it with a PAF Pro in the neck very very close to the strings to potentiate the vocal sounding of that one too) that's why I considered the Warpig but with the prices...

About buying in Germany the thing is that where I live the general TAX is just 6'5% and the prices shown in those shops normally have about a 20% TAX already charged so for me is quite a lot cheaper and if I am lucky and the box goes thru the customs without noticing I can even avoid the 6'5% so that means that I normally get a 20% off, if not then it's still about a 15% cheaper than for most of you. Second hand is a different story because there is no TAX reduction.

I found the DiMarzio for half I could get a BKP new or used even so... Happy right now.

Thanks buddy! I will send you pics of the guitar when all the mods are done... But expect a bit of an Adrian Smith aesthetic... What can I say!

5. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Sorry didn't note your location. They're only $120 USD OBO, free shipping from my end. Good luck with your search.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

one of my fav guitarrists ever ;)

Zhysick likes this.
  7. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I got the DiMarzio Breed in the mail but haven't received the new pickguard with for the humbucker yet... Ooohhh how hard is to resist and just cut out the actual pickguard.

I just want to keep this stock in case I sell the guitar at some point...

By the way, the pickup is ridiculous small. The bobbins are not precisely tall and don't seem to be very full of wire, considering the are about 8Kohms each I thought they will be fuller. They are not wounded to the same exact resistance so a small variance in wire caliber or length must be but this one is not supposed to be dual resonance so should be "exactly the same"... I guess the small difference could be just the tolerance of the wire.

Will come back when installed.

Thanks guys!

8. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Well, I received the back pickguard and guess what... It doesn't fit the guitar!! All hail AliExpress...

I couldn't help myself so just handed the Dremel and freehand cut the stock pickguard (I wanted it black to give the guitar an Adrian Smith signature Jackson kinda look) and while it is not perfect it is very good, the best I have done up to today.

I installed the pickup, one 500K pot as volume a d the 5 way switch (nothing fancy for the moment, just the three pickups, no splitting).

Duncan JB Jr. in the neck, stock neck pickup in the middle (lower output for more dramatic middle positions) and DiMarzio Breed in the bridge.

The Breed is a bit brighter than expected but very middy and much more tighter than what I thought (lucky me!). Both pickups work well together, very balanced (something that didn't happen with the Little 59 in the bridge as it was too scooped and loose in the lows).

The Breed is thick, yes, but bright and very musical, with nice prominent lows but not muddy at all. It's not very fast tracking on the lower frequencies but is far from being as loose as the Duncan JB (full size) so I am very happy.

As I couldn't get the black pickguard to fit the guitar and I didn't want the other pots holes to be seen I thought that a little bit of a Van Halen look could fix it... Not bad, at least for a while.

Thank guys!! I'm still considering the Dominion if at the end I want a faster tracking one but for sure I will try first with a ceramic magnet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boogie2, efiltsohg, chopeth and 2 others like this.