Thick modern metal humbucker for a Strat

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zhysick, Aug 7, 2019.

1. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've had a ton of pickups in my Jackson DKMG, which is also alder with a maple neck.

I know what you mean about the Breed bridge. Too smooth, round/bloated bottom end, etc. I've since replaced it with a Dominion and it's been awesome. Tighter, more aggressive, thick, thick, THICC mids, and great clarity and chugs. I bet it would be just the ticket for your guitar :yesway:

Zhysick likes this.
  2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Whoa!!! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!! (and what I didn't want because that means spending more money on a new one LOL!)

Thanks!

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The D-Sonic was super thicccc IMO. Very modern sounding too

Zhysick likes this.
  4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I remember my ceramic warpig fitting your description well. An Alnico Warpig may be exactly what you’re looking for.

Ribboz and Zhysick like this.
  5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Oh shit i totally forgot about these. Never saw anyone actually try them though

6. Choop

Choop n______n

You may have seen this already, but here's a cool demo with the Dominion. I think it sounds dope:

Zhysick and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  7. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, the Warpig is the first pickup I thought for this but I cannot find one used and even if I find one it probably will be more expensive than a new DiMarzio so... Why not trying a new DiMarzio? Probably it's been more than 10 years since I played my last DiMarzio...

Yes! I saw that one and sounds gnarly! Love it... But it is hard to tell from a demo if a pickup really sound like this because with all digital modellers and post-processing I bet one of these guys can make a vintage Strat sound as thick as that one...

Thank you guys!!

8. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

I've usually purchased and sold my BKPs roughly at 90€ each used. Just yesterday got a zebra mule set for 160€. I agree that Alnico or even ceramic Warpig would yield that really thick and fluid tone. It is very pleasant and easy to play, somewhat bass heavy but not in a flubby way.

Zhysick likes this.
  9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, I'm sure it is a pickup capable of giving me what I am looking for but BKPs normally go for 90€/100€ used, yesz plus shipping (it is just impossible to find one locally in this fking little place) si with shipping and all items about 30€ more than buying a new DiMarzio and considering it's been so many years without playing any DiMarzio... Why not? Let's give it a try!

Thanks!

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

If you want a straightforward demo of the dominion bridge, then here's one I made a while ago:

Zhysick and USMarine75 like this.
  11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

496R/500T is one of my fav pickup sets. So well-balanced... does everything good to great. I find it similar to my Wolfgangs, but more open / less compressed sounding when dimed.

Zhysick likes this.
  12. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

The Dialtones really had me interested a couple of years ago, and I was following them, but they ended production due to lack of sustainable market interest.

13. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Wolfgangs are great underrated pickups too

USMarine75 and Zhysick like this.
  14. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Here’s my 95 Charvel USA San Dimas , Alder body.....Dominion all the way. I’ve tried every pickup there is , other than a JB in Alder this pickup is the best I’ve put in there. It has the DiMarzio route so any other pickup has to be altered to fit...

I think you will be happy with the Dominion

Mike

AAE1A29D-1EE3-4479-904C-85EAFBDF1A6B.jpeg 70C89D81-A7E6-429F-AC94-065A3DF5CE19.jpeg

15. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes! I have a Wolfgang and those are great pickups! I changed mines magnets to A5 for better bite but they are a bit compressed and without enough clarity for my tastes... Maybe it will be an option to take the Wolfgang out and try it in the Strat before buying anything...

Thanks for the idea!!

16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Take a look at Gibson Dirty Fingers too. It also has an affordable "similar" GM Dirty Digits equivalent on eBay.

Zhysick likes this.
  17. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I can think of no better metal pickup in the world for a bright than the BKP Warpig. I have tried every pickup out there being mentioned, and year after year I keep affirming this opinion.

They're also not as expensive as Seymour Duncan custom shop pickup or many others. We sell them typically for around $140. The BKP Nailbomb with alnico magnet also sounds great in alder strat styles if you wanted something a bit more versatile, but the ceramic Warpig is my go to for those applications.

18. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Thanks guys.

I have to say that I fking hate the Nailbomb (I don't remember if it was alnico or ceramic the one I had) but it was just piercing and the lows too loose. I won't ever get one again... Money thrown into the bin. That's what was for me.

I actually got a DiMarzio Breed "cheap" (reasonably priced) in the country so I bought it. In the demos I have heard I like the sound of the breed and even if it seems to be a little loose in the lows I can swap the magnet for a ceramic one to tighten it a bit (and in a lot of places it's said that the Dominion is a Breed with ceramic magnet so...)

The problem is that I will get the pickup sooner than my humbucker routed pickguard so I am thinking in taking out the pickguard, use wood screws to fix the pups to the guitar wood and have the pots hanging from the wires to try it... Holy fuck, I'm just crazy... I guess I just better wait until the pickguard is here.

19. terran236

terran236 Iridescent Noise

I second who ever recommended the dominions. God damn what great pickups they are. they have everything most metal heads always ask for in these kind of threads. "FAT MIDS" great high mid spike for leads/solos. Great low mids for riffage. After all no matter how much bass pickups have, in the mix all that low end gets trimmed like it never existed. So with that in mind. DOMINIONS DO ITTT! :)

Dominions in the mix. Cleans are Seymour duncans that came with the blue E-II but everything else is Dominions.

TheWarAgainstTime and Zhysick like this.
  20. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Already been said. But BKP warpig hands down. Decently priced one on reverb right now: https://reverb.com/item/25179262-bare-knuckle-warpig-black-ceramic-bridge

I've owned a bunch from of the BKP line as well as others like lundgren, fluences, guitarmory etc and the warpigs my favorites. I've heard good things about the Ragnaroks too. Nick from the axe palaced once told me they were like a more compressed and focused version of the Warpigs.

Zhysick likes this.