Thick modern metal humbucker for a Strat

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zhysick, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

If it tracks fast it's good for me. I don't need surgical lows, actually I prefer it to be boomy than clangy if that explains anything...

Then I will look into it.

Shame the SuperD is not getting any feedback because I can have it for half the money I would get the Dominion... Fking money!

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

EQ, yeah. I think that's what different pickups do anyway. They project different frequencies.

Which reminds me of the Dialtone!

Zhysick likes this.
  3. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

[QUOTE="Zhysick, post: 5035713, member: 64161]
    How is it? That's one of the "new" DiMarzios that's very heavy in the mids... I'm interested.

Is it tight? Rolled off highs? Honky/nasal?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thick and punchy, still clear. Wish they made an 8 string version. Good dynamics, cleans up with the volume knob well.

Mine was in a basswood RG 7 string.

Zhysick likes this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

But... Hendrix... used pedals lol.

Matt08642 and Zhysick like this.
  5. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

I had a Super Distortion in the bridge of a PRS S2 24 tuned a half step down. It's a great pickup, somewhere between a hot PAF style pickup and something more modern. To me, it sounded a bit scooped but in a good way. I wouldn't say it is ultra mid humped if that is what you are looking for. I believe it's SD counterpart is a JB. YMMV.

I can't believe no one has suggested a Black Winter or Nazgul yet, lol.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

neither of those would be what he wants tbh. OP likes pickups like the warpig, and the bw/nazgul are def much leaner sounding than that.

Zhysick likes this.
  7. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Problem is, I've never used a SuperD below Eb tuning. That will actually change soon-ish (I've got a spare SuperD that I plan on putting into my Jackson KE-3 which is tuned down to B; the JB that's in there now is way too bright in that guitar [which seems to naturally be incredibly bright], I'm trying to fatten it up some), but I can't answer that question for you now.

If it helps any, Suffocation used the SuperD for a while back in the day, although I'm not sure exactly on which albums.

EDIT: Also, the SuperD doesn't really have a Seymour Duncan counterpart; the JB is quite different. The closest is probably the Custom, but even it is very different, with less mids, less output, and more top-end bite.

Zhysick likes this.
  8. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Wasn't Hendrix who said "nothing like a Suhr straight into a Diesel without any pedals"? I'm pretty sure it was him last Bloodstock. Maybe it was The Edge (who never uses pedals as well).

If you are going to try that SuperD soon maybe I will wait for your feedback but will listen to Suffocation in the meantime.

Thanks to all of you guys!

USMarine75 and Matt08642 like this.
  9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, it's not mid humped but definitely thick in the mids (or low mids) and lows but I'm afraid is not "modern enough". I have never thought if a pickup is modern or not enough but I have read lots of posts about the SuperD to be "vintage sounding" and saying that it cannot handle modern styles of metal that I am afraid I might be vintage as well hahaha kind of living in the past in this... I used to try a lot of pickups but the last year's I haven't been able to try the new models so I don't know if there is a real difference between a SuperD and a Titan.

So... Do you think it handles modern tones? Can I say... Does it Djent? I don't play that but ... Just to explain myself.

10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Well one pedal isnt complicated. The pedal is the fastest way to achieve what you want, and probably the easiest.

USMarine75 and Zhysick like this.
  11. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

I know, it doesn't seem to stop people from recommending them in every pick up thread though :p

When I was using the Super Distortion, it was mainly for hair and death metal type sounds. I enjoyed it but probably not modern enough for what you are looking for. That being said, if you have a handle on a cheap one it could be worth a shot. One man's vintage is another man's perfect.

I generally play thrash and death on PAF 36th anni pickups, but I don't tune down much more than a half step usually.

I agree with your description. The Super Distortion definitely does it's own thing.

Zhysick likes this.
  12. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

But then I will have to be turning it on and off depending if I am using the bridge pickup or the neck one because if I am looking for a thick pup with prominent mids is just to compensate for a neck pickup that is thick with prominent mids. It just don't make any sense to have a scooped all highs and lows bridge pickup and a all mids neck pickup because each one will need a different amp setting...

That's what I am trying to avoid, just a balanced sound.

13. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Alt-8 comes immediately to mind. I can't believe that pickup isn't more popular.

Maybe the 59/Custom hybrid. orrrr I feel like some of the Gibson or PRS stock pickups would work, but can't think which off the top of my head.

Great pickup, but scooped mids

Zhysick likes this.
  14. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

From the demos the Alt8 seems to be too focused in the upper mids with not much bass response. Is not harsh but definitely bright. The 59/Custom sounds similar to me, a bit more on the vintage PAF style... Bright and not sterile but not thick in the mids and lows. I have always liked that one and want one but not for this guitar especially since it is alder+maple... It will probably become harsh in this guitar.

Can anybody say something about the Gibson 500T? As it has the 3 magnets structure I am interested in the option of combining the ceramic flanks with an A2 for thicker sweeter response or something like that...

15. budda

It's really quite easy. You can do it.

16. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Nope, not going to turn it on and off every time I switch pickups. That's plain stupid. I change pickups even middle of a bend to emphasize and things like that... Not gonna think it hitting the pedal.

It's an absolute no lol.

Masoo2 likes this.
  17. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Demos on SD website are mostly worthless, you should try one

I like the 498T better. Both are probably brighter than you want.

Zhysick likes this.
  18. budda

Have fun looking for perfection then.

Matt08642 likes this.
  19. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I still have the option of changing the neck pickup for something that matches better another bridge pup if I can't make it work with the neck pickup I have right know

It's not that hard to swap two pickups just I would like to keep the neck pickup I have because I like how it sounds and how it reacts to my playing.

Not gonna be stupid and over complex things: if two pickups doesn't work well together one has to go out. As simple as that.

20. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I liked the 498T I had in a Les Paul Standard but yes, it was too bright and a bit scooped in the low mids... Similar to a JB I would say. Not what I am looking for now but a great pickup. I have never played a 500T but I like that kind of construction like the Invader or the Juggernaut. More magnets = more tweaking options.

Will give the Hybrid another listen...