There she goes......(sniff)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Mind Riot, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

Well, I finally got a buyer for my RG7421 with the Dimarzios. I had some kid who wanted it, but he wouldn't get back to me for nothing. I sent him an e-mail saying I needed to hear from him within about a week or I was going to sell it to someone else. I didn't hear from him, so I sold it. He still hasn't gotten back to me, it's been about three weeks now.

I sold it to some other kid in Pennsylvania for the lowest price I could stand. $280 plus shipping. (This is with Dimarzios installed, mind you.) Packed it up good, in the box my new Schecter came in, insured it for $300 and had them put a signature requirement on it, then sent it off into the night.

She was a good guitar, brave lass and true, and stood by me through many dark times. Slim Wizard 7 neck, all black, Dimarzio pickups, sleek RG7 body with fixed bridge. As much as I love my new Schecter (and I do), I'll still miss her. She was a great guitar, and served me well for about five years as my main axe.

O my beautiful RG7421, may the wind be at your back! May you sail smoothly on calm seas, and rock the world of all who hear your luscious melodies! May you never know the pain of any more dings, or the disgrace of lame ass stickers pasted to you or dust gathering on your sensuous curves! Fare well, my beloved! I'll miss you, and think of you fondly for many years to come.

There's no smiley for a solemn salute, so these will have to do. :wavey: :(

2. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i love my RG7421, could never get rid of it(not that anyone would ever buy it!!!) lol

3. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I'm going to be Buried with my RG7620-no other man shall ever caress a note off that guitar but me. I haunt the MF who rob's my grave too...

4. Mind Riot

Such loyalty for these wondrous Ibanez seven strings! I feel guilty, as though I have somehow slighted my love by selling her.

But alas, I did not have the means to keep them both.

5. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

I'm confused...why would you sell off an Ibanez RG, with upgraded pups for a Schecter C-7? Just curious!

6. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

I'll trade my 7620 for a mint C7 anytime.

As much as I hate to sound like a Schecter salesman at times, IMHO the C7 plays and sounds better than the 7620.

I like 'em both, but I play my C7 100% more.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It's tough, parting with a guitar, huh? I very nearly cried the last time I closed the case on my old 2027, before shipping it off to cover the new amp I was buying.

Which, strangely enough, I went and sold for the amp I'm playing now. Hmm. I think my commitment issues might be a bit broader than merely to the female sex.

Either way, I just nearly sold my 7620, but I feel a bit better now that I've decided to keep the thing- they may not be the most inspiring guitars on the planet, but they're about the perfect working man's 7... (and if it tells you anything, I sold my 2027 to keep this one)

-D

8. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

LOL! :lol:

9. Elysian

Elysian Banned

glad ur keeping that thing man, i couldn't imagine selling my RG7421... or just about any of my guitars besides that yamaha i sold last week hehe... but hey that was a good turnaround... bought it for 80 bux, fixed all its issues, and sold it for 200(+30 bux shipping)... not too shabby, that afforded me the 300w Fender Power Amp i have on the way mmm

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I kinda am too.

The RG-2027 was tough to let go, but I wasn't sold on the tone of mahogany (the 7620 seemed way more "alive" to me) and I really wasn't using the peizo enough to justify the added hassle of not being able to pop the bridge out of the body for a quick neck adjustment or fretboard clean. That and the fact that it was a touch over a grand tied up in a guitar, admittedly a breathtakingly beautiful one, that I wasn't really playing that much anymore, and it was a combination of financing a new amp and sending it to a home where it'd get the sort of playtime it deserved.

But god damn I miss that neck. I should have offered the guy to sell it to him with either the stock neck or the neck from my 7620 or something, the virtually blank fretboard I coul;d have done without, but the profile was sheer bliss.

-D

11. Mind Riot

I wouldn't. I sold it off to pay for my Schecter 007 Blackjack, which has:

26 1/2" extended scale
    Mahogany body
    Tonepros tune-o-matic bridge
    Grover tuners
    Seymour Duncan JB-7 and '59-7 pickups

All of this stock.

If it was between 25 1/2" scale seven strings, I'll take an RG7421 or 7621 anyday. But the extended scale was what I was after, and the Schecter Blackjack series were the only ones even close to my price range without a tremolo.

You tell me whether it was worth it or not. ;)

Attached Files:

12. Mind Riot

I know, every nice piece of gear we have is SO special, we'll never part with it, we love it more than any other, until we see something better, then we get these stars in our eyes and sell our baby for the next pretty thing.

Man, we are all such whores. :D

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Eh, the amp was never an emotional sort of thing- more of a "now, THAT is cool." It was part of a flirtation with the whole marshall thing for me- borrowed a DSL-401 for a gig with a couple bands when there was limited setup time so we couldn't practically get both setups on stage, and was impressed by just how well everything I DIDN'T like about Marshalls (abrasive highs and weak bass) made it cut through the mix live, where my mesa combo (Rocket-44, think of a seriously simplified Mark-IV) sounded good, especially on its own, but didn't really jump out.

The TSL kept me pretty happy for about a year, but then I started missing that smooth mesa lead sound, so when I was offered a Triple Recto head at a good price, I went into the neighborhood GC to see if I could get a lead tone I was happy out of a rectifier. I couldn't, but they happened to have this Nomad-45 2x12 that blew me away, and the rest is history... ;)

-D

14. Mind Riot

Wow, you've gone through some really nice amps. :agreed:

I'm a po guy, just played through a tube preamp processor into a solid state power amp into a 2x12 cab before I got the PODxt.

I could probably afford to get a decent tube amp, but as I said in the Line 6 thread in the gear forum, the PODxt is really what I need for recording. Plus, I'm financing a whole home studio, not just a guitar rig. I'd probably be able to get a decent tube amp if I didn't have to maintain a guitar rig, bass rig, electronic drumset, digital multitracker, studio monitors and power amp, and room treatment.

But the PODxt works amazingly well for what I need. Just gotta control the GAS as far as tube amps I don't need. :D

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I hear you- I record on my laptop (purchased for school in '99), straight into the line in with a $30 Radio Shack dynamic, into Sonic Foundry Acid 2.0. Ghetto as hell. ;)

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.