The WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by axxessdenied, Apr 26, 2013.

1. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Il_u7rxoxFRmlrTEVqWmJ0MjA
    Here is my latest work. It is a bit of a different direction than I have done before. Going for an ambient track. This is still very early stages. I just recorded this yesterday. I am still toying with the idea of adding some minimal drums and still need to record some bass as well. My buddy is going to be adding some keys to the song as well. So far it is two guitar tracks and a software synth. No samples.

2. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

Not my personal taste. But it sounds good. I think minimal drums could go a long way.

3. Furyof

Furyof SS.org Regular

4. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

@stevexc Sounds tight, but also kind of tiny. There's no real balls in the mix so to speak. Like others mentioned, the drums could use some room verb to make them less dry and gel a bit better.

@axxessdenied Cool sounding track, would like to hear it with some minimal drums too. Some of the guitars are a bit sharp in the high end though.

@Furyof Mix sounds good dude. Guitars could come down a little in volume and in gain though imo. Cool sounding nonetheless!

I took everyone's advice on here (guitars to loud, snare weak etc. you were totally right!) and remixed the track i uploaded last time. I also thought the track could use more low end punch, so I worked on the kick and bass aswell, and changed some things in the master section. I left the old one on my soundcloud for comparison purposes for now, but I'll remove it soon. I'm much happier with this version. Hopefully you'll agree!
    https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/eli-rises-nothing-holds-us-still-remixmaster

5. axxessdenied

Step in the right direction @Stijnson ! What I noticed immediately is that the cymbals seem to be buried in the mix too much. Can't really hear them that well. The snare is very out front so maybe bring it down just a touch as well?

6. axxessdenied

@Furyof sounds pretty good but I think you need a bit more surgical EQ to cut out some bad frequencies from the guitars.

7. axxessdenied

8. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

True that my friend! Gonna fix that straight away. Sometimes I guess you mix so much, you forget do double check some things!

Your track definitely sounds better with the bass, and the less sharp guitars too. Sounds much bigger and more complete as a whole. But personally I could do with even more of the bass to really embellish the melodies!

9. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

@Furyof I like the mix, guitars could be a tad lower though.
    @Stijnson I feel like the vox are a bit separate from the mix, I'd let them come down a tad.
    @axxessdenied I like these vibes. I feel like your main guitar part is very direct and up front. If ambient is your goal then I'd suggest burying it in reverb some more ;)

New thing I've started, I haven't really done any mixing yet, just slapped my channel presets on things. I've been more about developing the structure of the song at this point. Getting drums re-written and then bass tracked next. Then it's time for my vocal debut :eek:

Also worth noting, I tracked this with a boss hm2 clone ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4aJGmnL2MekMFZfWVduaTJWQVk

10. axxessdenied

@theo you had me at hm-2... I fucking love this intro. Pretty sweet vibe you are going for. Love the sound effects. I'm a sucker for them. Looking forward to hearing where you take this one. Lots of promise imo!!

Thanks for the suggestions on the overall mix. Hopefully I'll get some more added to it soon.

For now here is something I just did... I don't know how to categorize it. Industrial? It's 14 different synth tracks that I layered on top of each other after I recorded the initial MIDI on my mpkmini. I'm playing around with this thing more and figuring out what it can do. I just did this in one take and then layered sounds on top of each other lol.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3tfwk6jjfd4zko/Industrial Song.mp3?dl=0

11. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

@Furyof It sounds nice and tight, but it feels like the center of the mix is missing somethign - like everything is panned so hard to the sides there's a "space" in the middle.
    @Stijnson This sounds pretty damn pro. I have to agree with Nick, cymbals can be edged up a bit and snare down slightly. I'd also like to hear a little bit more of the low end of the bass but that's just me.
    @theo Sounding badass so far! Guitars sound massive.
    @axxessdenied Sounds good so far, but it's hard to critique the mix. Needs... more to it. Some percussion perhaps?

Here's another cover I've been working on (one of maaaaaany):
    https://soundcloud.com/stevexc/ruin

12. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I'm working on this, as of now, that's a slightly souped up rehearsal recording, with some small parts touched up of my band (pre-production for upcoming album):

http://scrollkeeper.com/

13. axxessdenied

You need to critique some other people first :p Minimum 3 people before you.

theo and stevexc like this.
  14. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

sorry, my bad. I'll get back to this.

15. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

@stevexc guitars are feeling a little thin, a bass in the mix would change things considerably but I think the guitars could do with some more low mids maybe.

16. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

@axxessdenied Liking this synthy stuff dude, been experimenting with this kind of stuff myself too. Would love to hear some drums in that though!

@stevexc Like @theo mentioned, it needs a bass (but you knew that already) but the cover is definitely good. Personally I would try to create some more clarity and body in the guitars. Adding a bass will pretty much solve that issue straight away. Use a distorted bass track to give clarity to the guitars, and a clean 'low' bass track to add body and some low mids.

@Descent Even though you didn't follow the rules of the thread, I listened to yours anyway, in the hope you'll return the favor to all of us, and keep the only thread on ss.org where you can actively receive mix notes and tips, alive. Music is good dude, not my cup of tea, but really getting that classic metal vibe, considering that's what you're going for, awesome. Would love to hear a proper recorded/mixed version of it!

Last time I'll post this track, I'm kind of done with it now. Took all your advice into account and hopefully it sounds alright. Time to move on though!
    https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/eli-rises-nothing-holds-us-still-remix-and-master

So here is one of my own tracks (incomplete though), this time messing with some orchestration, hope you enjoy!
    https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/orchids

17. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

@Stijnson
    Since you checking mine - I obliged. The rhythm guitars sounded just a touch too muddy for me, I'd like to hear some sparkle, but it doesn't take away from mix. The H is very hard panned left, I'd leave some bleed in the other channel.
    There is also some guitar parts that are panned very hard left and right that I think might work better in the middle. Vocals sound very good! I don't know if any of this will warrant a remix in my case but some slight touches might improve it, there are no deal breakers IMO.

@stevexc LIstening to "Ruin", the guitars feel bit "modeled", digital. Love the old school Slayer vibe, especially thebass - very Araya :) Drums sound good to me. I'd let some more air on the guitars and try to tone down maybe the distortion a touch and some of the quack on the midrange. Reamp if you can. That drum roll is very fake and the tempo is lost afterward, I think you might have to tighten the performance a bit.

@theo I like the weird intro. Cymbals seem a bit too distorted imo, toms maybe punch in too much out of the drum mix, drum balance def. needs work. Can't hear bass. Otherwise, cool changes and definitely interesting track. Guitar could go up in the mix a touch as well but mainly drum balance IMO.

If anyone want to slag mine, here we go:
    http://scrollkeeper.com/

18. Najka

Najka Meow-core

@JohnIce, Sounds awesome man! I am very interested in hearing the finished song. If you have any more music please share with me. I couldn't find much on youtube but the Engarde track is awesome too. Please share more, I really like your stuff it's very creative

@stevexc: Very quiet mix, the kick is almost inaudible. Need to tighten up the lead guitar a little too. For mixing, I would start with the videos at creative live: https://www.creativelive.com/audio?via=navpath_6230 Worth every penny.

@KnightBrolaire: I think the next step would be some drums! EZ drummer is an awesome program for songwriting. Drums will define a riff, that riff may sound 100 different ways with 100 different drum beats under it. Plus it is kind of hard to figure out where you want to take the guitar tone without hearing the other instruments. If you want to make more parts to the song, use the same notes in your original riff but play them in a different order.

Here is a track I'm currently working on, not mixed yet just focusing on the song writing aspect. It will be getting vocals. I'm afraid it may be a little repetitive
    https://soundcloud.com/najkadbs/visera-2

19. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

Thanks! I'm meaning to rewrite the lyrics of that song so it got a little put on hold, but I'm finishing up another song right now that I'll probably post in the coming days :) I really appreciate it!

About your song, I really dig the vibe of the clean guitars! I think the mix is really nice already but lacks low-end weight. It does get somewhat repetitive in the riffs. It sounds like it was arranged by a guitar player, in that the riffs change from section to section but the bass and kicks always follow the guitars and I think that's why it sounds repetitive. To add movement, I'd suggest experimenting with the bass and kick patters to add contrast from section to section. How about making them do the opposite of what they did in the section before? Change the bass from many short notes to few long ones, change the kicks from busy and syncopated to straight Tommy Lee etc. Max Martin is a big proponent of writing vocals this way and I think it's a very good approach in general.

20. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

@Stijnson For Orchids, I'd say maybe the orchestra could come down a tiny bit, and guitars could use a touch more high end. Other than that, it sounds good. For the Eli Rises track the only thing that stood out for me as a critique was the hihat being so hard panned.

@Descent I'd say you nailed the oldschool heavy metal sound pretty well. I might back off reverb a tad, and maybe not clip the vocals quite so much.

@Najka The thing that stands out to me is the bass - it sounds like it has no balls. GIVE THE BASS ITS BALLS BACK :p

I've remixed (and retracked the bass) Ruin, I think it sounds a lot better personally. Took a lot of your feedback into consideration.
    https://soundcloud.com/stevexc/ruin-1

Descent likes this.