The who's got kids thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mongey, Jan 6, 2015.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

This thread completely delivered. Got a 15 yr old daughter....and I'll be 41 next month. Not much to say that hasn't been covered, but I will say this, from one guy to another.

You life is going to change completely....completely, dude. At first, you're going to be too tired to even PLAY guitar. Seriously. It gets better as they get older, but like said above, make time for the two of you. It's WAY easy to forget about the two of you and focus only on the kid, and that's a sure way to make sure you pretty much only have sex once a month.

Make time for your wife to go and do things, even if she says she doesn't want to. Hit up her favorite salon and book her some time for a manicure or haircut or whatever. It's important that she gets out of the house. Same goes for you. MAKE IT EVEN. Don't be running around with your boys drinking for 14 hours straight and then get bent when she wants to take the weekend off or go on a trip with her friends.

Kids are badass, though.....the coolest thing about it is when you realize that you're actually responsible for how this person is going to turn out, and you shape up completely.

I'm known among my friends and family as a funny guy with a really specific sense of humor, and to hear some of that stuff come out of my daughter's mouth among her friends and have those friends crack up and tell her she's funny is AWESOME, because she gets that from me.:hbang:

Neatest thing: watching them grow up from someone that's entirely dependent on you for literally everything to being an independent person with their own thoughts, dreams, etc....ideas that surprise even you. It's incredible.

PLAY GUITAR NOW. That shit ain't happening later. Seriously......do it NOW...right now you probably have all the extra time in the world to play guitar if you want to. Your wife is busy, you guys are still decently young, and she's doing stuff and you can play. That's going to stop. Get it in while you still can....it's easy to take for granted, so make a point.

Also, BUY EVERYTHING. You maybe always wanted a custom 7 string? ORDER THAT SHIT. You want a Kemper or AxeFX? GRAB THAT SHIT NOW. 8 string, really good acoustic, Diezel Herbert and matching cab, anything at all that's gear related and might be expensive? Do it NOW. It is NOT happening later without a bunch of sacrifice on your part, unless you're raking it in or have a trust fund. I own my own company and have investments that pay dividends, and I absolutely still struggle to buy the gear I want...it's better now than it was in the beginning, but the struggle is real.:lol:

College fund, Christmas, first car, insurance, medical bills; all of that is in your future dude, and it's never leaving. EVER. Having a kid is so much more expensive than I ever thought it would be.

EDIT: got all worked up there for a sec and forgot to tell you congrats on the procreating!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Please don't get mad at me, I'm just curious...is it really this bad at first?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. asher

asher So Did We

4. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

To the OP - Congrats! Your life will change dramatically!

I'm not sure which is better, to wait to have kids or to have them younger (when you're in your 20's). There's pros and cons to both.

If you wait, you can save up more money (because once you have kids, it's amazing how fast that money flows out of your account). Plus you can have more "us time" with your wife, without having to worry about a babysitter or leaving the child with your parents, etc. That worrying can wreck whatever fun you're trying to have.

If you start earlier, there won't be as much of an age gap between yourself and your kids, so when they're in sports and want you to help them practice, you're actually "young" enough and in decent enough shape to run around with them and actually keep up.

I have a son (14) and daughter (10). I just turned 43. My son wants to start lifting with me, which is neat. Both kids are in soccer and basketball so I'm out running around with them, helping them practice. It's fun and helps keep me in shape.

So there's pros and cons to both - don't think one way is better than the other, they're just different.

5. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

And to Mike - no, it's not THAT bad. My son was worse - I didn't get decent sleep for the entire first year - he took forever to sleep through the night. My daughter was much easier - I think by 3 months she was sleeping through the night.

I think it helps if you have family nearby. We didn't/don't - we have been on our own the whole time. So that tires you out more.

6. steinmetzify

Yup. It really is. People joke about it before it happens, and after you make it through. No one jokes about it while it's happening.

To this day, if I want to get a rise out of my wife? All I have to do is bring up the one time our daughter PROJECTILE SHIT INTO HER MOUTH. True story.

7. asher

asher So Did We

I threw up right on my dad's head as a kid once when he was bouncing me :lol:

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You think that's bad?

I once made my dad go on "It's A Small World" at Disney over 10 times in a row, and to this day, I haven't heard the song since.

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

thanks all for the words

trying to fit in as much playing as I can before but been crazy busy through xmas and stuff so time is limited already

pre preganancy I had my own music room but the music room is now the babys room . luckily we have a little sunroom that my wife agreed to give up as her clothes room and let me take over as a music space. its way smaller than I had but got the essentials in there including an cheapo electric drum kit for jamming with mates

of course downsizing I cant play my recto in there so I needed to buy an axe fx 2 xl with a mfc to make it work

10. steinmetzify

'Needed to buy an AxeFx2XL'. I like the way you think, brother.

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I never thought I would be wiping somebody else's ass and poop until I had kids! I have not had enough sleep too! But the rewards of being a parent just makes it worth it. Parenthood is something that you need to prepare for and accept.

12. monkeybike

monkeybike loves Dying Light

You will have alot of conversations about poop. Color,texture,smell,etc.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

yeah . shlould've seen the womans face when I dropped that one

I sold her on the silent ,baby is alseep , heaphone practise angle. and kinda mumbeld when she asked how much it was

14. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

This!!! All of it.

I have two boys under 2, youngest is 3 weeks old. I would die for them, it's frustrating and incredible at once.

Best bit of advice my dad told me is trust your gut feeling. When it comes to your kid you will know better than any book etc

15. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

Not only do I have a 9 year old and a baby coming in a month, but I work at a daycare with children from 6mos. to 5yrs.

All I have to say is kids are awesome.... little shits...

16. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

How do you keep sane? (Or don't you)

17. Kullerbytta

Kullerbytta Newborn

Hahaha, that fvcking comic picture had me laughing so hard that my co-workers had to check on me :rofl:

It's mostly not entirely true, but can be.
    One of my co-workers has two kids, one who's 10 and the other 3. Her 3yo had, and still have trouble sleeping. Every night.
    She says she's actually not slept well since she had her and she's tried everything there is to try to make her sleep better... There just isn't anything to be done.

Me and my fiancee have our ups and downs with our girl who is 15 months...
    She's slept wonderfully through 3 months to 4, then a lot less from 4-6, slightly more at 6-8 months, and horrible from 8 months to now.
    Some nights she just doesn't sleep. She takes 1 nap a day (between 15 mins to 2 hours) and she's awake 'til about 9 - 9.30 Then she waks up at 11 and doesn't fall asleep until about 5, 5.30 in the morning :yesway:

Good thing she's such a wonderful and cute little rascal, haha. She loves metal, my music (!) and the good disney songs.

Oh, here she is btw!

First day :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one is pretty recent.

Also, congratulations! :hbang:

18. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

19. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I think what happens is that your definition of sanity changes

20. javashred

javashred Member

Congrats brother. I have a three year old daughter and having her was one of the best things my wife and I ever did.