The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JosephAOI, May 7, 2011.

1. -One-

-One- Not So Kool-Aid

Marc is just as guilty of hiding behind a backing track as Josh. I've seen VoM 8 times since the release of All Things Set Aside, and before the release of Eclipse, Marc just looped everything, but after Eclipse, every time I saw them, there were 2+ guitar backing tracks to every song, and Marc let the backing tracks do a lot of the work (such as giving the leads to the backing track, and just chugging along to the rhythm guitar's breakdowns in multiple tracks). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Marc can't play his own material, I know he can, I saw VoM play as a 4-piece with no backing tracks or loop pedals in a renovated Church-turned-venue in 2007, right after Brandon joined, and they killed it. But Marc has definitely gotten lazier live than he used to be, and lets the backing tracks do a lot of the work.

As for the singing, the melody was fine, it was the tone of Lukas' voice, and the lack of control over his vibrato that I think made it poor, not whether or not he hit the right notes for the main melody. He sings from the chest throughout most of the album, which you can hear if you listen, but in this video, it's all head voice. It completely takes all of the power out of Lukas' clean vocals.

2. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

Cool album. I like it. :yesway:

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Listened twice on the way to work.

My first impression: Man, this band was better when they weren't trying to sound like every other band. Yeah yeah yeah it's still good music and they jam and do their thing and it works... but they went from a band that really, really stood out to making this album which practically sounds as though it were purposely trying to blend in with the crowd.

4. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

Generally, I like Matriarch. Good VoM riffs most of the way through. I don't really mind the singer; he's actually pretty good. It's a pretty refreshing take on their core sound.

BUT DAMN the cringey vocals at the end of Aeris annoyed the ever living hell out of me. That's really my only complaint about the CD. When he goes full Rise Records -core bullsh1t, he really goes hard on it. It's a good step with a great singer/screamerbro but gimme less stuff like that.

5. MetalheadMC

MetalheadMC SS.org Regular

has anyone seen them live on the current tour? I was excited about seeing them but I've about changed my mind because of the recent material

6. elkinz

elkinz Pun Enthusiast

Im always excited for new bands material. I really love some of the riffs in Matriarch but what disappointed me the most was how the album sounds TOO polished. Like all the rhythms are edited and cut so tight which is cool and all but it sounds really unnatural and lacks the rawness of their previous material.

But hey, as long as they dig it I guess.

7. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Sorry dude, I call BS on that view. God forbid the guy use backing tracks if he can play the material. When the album stuff has 3+ guitar tracks on every song, plus alot of ambient stuff, I'd rather put what I physically can't play on my mac and play a show that sounds just like an album because I'd feel like the audience would be missing the full effect of the song that I wrote. They can afford a decent stage rack setup, so why shouldn't they use it to add more to their live mix, on top of the awesome show they already put on?

8. Arkeion

Arkeion SS.org Regular

Laying to rest my love for this band. I just can't anymore.

CMC will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Saw Veil on the [id] tour, and Marc was killing it. Things may be different now, but he did all of the leads during that set.

9. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

This album is pretty diverse, though as how it usually is with Veil of Maya for me, it's going to take a bit of time to digest it.

10. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I like the new album a lot actually. For me, it's way more listenable then all of their other ones.

11. prh

prh Plini

prob my favourite VOM album now! hope they get back down here soon :)

12. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Say what you want, but this band is basically metalcore now - not just because of the vocals, either.

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Metalcore is a very loose description nowadays but there are a few Killswitch Engage style parts, nothing really like old All the Remains and early Trivium. Its mostly modern tech metal and djent.

14. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

I thought most of the riffing was really simplistic by Veil standards. They never gave an explanation of why the EP they recorded with Diego was shelved, did they? My guess is they held back on putting it out because they knew the direction they were heading in with this one and tried to make it seem less jarring by lengthening the gap between records.

15. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

They talk about the ep here and Marc also says that the change of direction happened in order to be able to tour with more bands. ( I really can't stand these Metalsucks guys, barely managed to listen through the whole thing.)

16. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, otherwise I would have never known this existed - I feel the same way you do.

17. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

You think so? I don't hear it. Every song sounds the same, which is a current trend in metal related things in the past 5 years it seems.

18. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Detroit show was freaking top-notch! What a great damn set. New vocalist certainly gets props in my book.

19. SeditiousDissent

SeditiousDissent i drove bus

Matriarch is the first VoM album I've heard. So far, I like it. It's pretty generic, but I can't really find anything about which to complain. The vocals sound remarkably like Spencer in both timbre and melodic structure (which makes sense, considering that he was involved in the vocal production). It's got some pretty solid hooks, but some of the songs feel like they've been chopped down. Mikasa, IMO, should be about a minute longer.

I don't know, but I dig it. Maybe if I had been a fan since their inception, I might feel differently.

20. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Give their other albums a fair chance, Common Man's Collapse at the very least